(OT) LG Cellphone browser upgrades.

Another good deal is the Republic phone for those that don't often have a need for the data. If you are around a wifi system you can use all the data you want on the $ 10 per month plan and have unlimiated calling and text. If away from wifi and really need data, you can punch in a few keys and just use the data plan for that month. I think it sa about $ 20, but I have never needed it. One distraction is that you have to use one of thier phones. They are made by Motorola and the less expensive one is just over $

100.. Thy do not show one like I bought a few years ago,but it was about $ 175 at the time.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The big issue with Republic is that they are on Sprint's native network which is pretty dismal.

Unless you never leave metro areas it's best to avoid Sprint MVNOs since they have no roaming, as well as avoiding T-Mobile. Certainly in the western U.S. you would not want to rely on Sprint native coverage since they have huge gaps. On Sprint itself you get off-network roaming.

Reply to
sms

What is NFR? Do you mean NFC?

Unfortunately the lower-cost Android phones lack NFC, you're looking at around $125 minimum for NFC .

Reply to
sms

Wrong. All GSM phones have SIM cards. CDMA phones typically did not. My TracFone is CDMA since I live in Verizon territory and does not have a SIM. My Verizon MiFi does have a SIM but that is because of the 4G LTE, not the CDMA.

Reply to
rbowman

Sprint had a habit of soldering in GSM SIM cards in their "world" phones (CDMA/GSM) so you had to roam in Europe through Sprint at high prices rather than inserting a prepaid SIM purchased in the country you were visiting.

Tracfone's BYOP SIM card is actually two SIM cards, one for Verizon, one for AT&T. You choose the one that is for the phone you are bringing with you and discard the other one.

Reply to
sms