OT: Legal proceedings

Page 2 of 2
On 1/13/2016 4:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Were you suspects, or did they take your word for how you found the body? Creepy!
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/13/2016 3:04 PM, Micky wrote:

with polite BS small talk, they get to the point. See example of efficiency below.
Iowa (or most other places): Can you please tell me how to get to Main Street? I'm going to a store my Aunt Jane recommended to buy a new coat.
Oh, sure, go up there two more blocks and turn left at the light. Be careful, it can be busy and a lot of traffic. I hope you find a lovely new coat. I went to that store and they have a nice selection.
New York: (leaning out window) Yo!, Main Street? (other person pointing) Light, left

Where I grew up in the South......
How do I get to main street?
Main Street?! Oh, Lawrd..... Welp! You head down to where the old school house used be and make a left....
On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 9:17:04 PM UTC-5, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

That actually happened to me recently. I was dropping my aunt off at the senior living facility where she lives. In the lobby of her building was a notice discussing the recent issues with visitor parking. The notice stated that visitors should park near the "old day care center" at the rear of the building. Of course, there was no sign at the rear of the building indicating where the "old day care center" had been.
On 1/13/2016 2:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

This sums it up, pretty well. It's not "impatience"... but it sort of *is*. ("Look buddy, I've got plenty of other things to do..." -- but he's not got the time nor inclination to bother TELLING you that!)
"Brusque" and "blunt" are other good choices.
Also, much thicker-skinned. Less easily offended.

That's about right.
When my mother and I first visited NYC, we hadn't even asked for help but I pulled out a map while standing up, riding the subway, and several people offered to help.
Then when I lived there a pothole was full of water from recent rain and I coudln't see it, and I went over the handlebars of my bicycle. Three people came from three people came from three different directions to see if I was all right. And there were only about 5 people around.
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

You could have volunteered to be in the body bag or autopsy table...
--
Tekkie

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 12:51:50 -0700, Don Y

All the answers seem to assume you're still in the jury pool and they go into how that works. But that's not how I took your post.
You're saying, aren't you, that you get excused before the day is out and since you're downtown, you want to watch a trial? Right?
A lot of, maybe most trials don't last more than a day, so even if you pick at random, you might get one like that. OTOH, when I tape a tv show and think it will end sooner than it does, and I'm missing the last half hour, I really dislike that.

You can go in and then leave again if you don't like it.
Misc. I've learned not to wear my army style belt when I go to a courthouse. It has an all metal buckle and it sets off their metal detectors.
Baltimore City has a pretty big courthouse and on one of the floors which has trials, they have a door open that looks down a narrow hall and you can see them walking prisoners in shackles by occasionally. I think there is a door of bars between them and me.
There are also some suburban courthouses where it's easy to park.
I got stopped in a speed trap (well a stop-sign trap) in Grand Prairie, Texas, and I went to pay immediately. They had a brand new, fancy building just for traffic tickets, someone said. They announced in court that if you weren't from Texas and the fine was 60 dollars, you could pay 75 and they wouldn't notify the state in which you live. Is that slimey or what?