OT: Leading by example

Page 1 of 5

Clinton's wedding costs 3 million?!

Who cares?!
On 7/31/2010 2:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

One of my son's just got engaged. He should tell this to his future father in law. Then the father in law will be grateful if it only costs 1% as much for his daughter ;)

FWIW, Schwab did a recent survey and found $30K is the average cost of a wedding in the US.
and name it after the IRS.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Most of the young ladies whose weddings I attended, told their daddies they would rather have the cash for a house down payment, and had the reception in the church rec room. A former boss who happened to be Mormon took out a second on his house to marry his daughter off in 'proper' fashion. Apparently his social station in his church required it. Idiot.
--
aem sends....

Agreed. I'd *much* rather give a down payment than a party. Fortunatly we had a son. ;-)

This is the fourth post of yours in a week that I've agreed with. I'm starting to get worried. -- Doug

Watch it! You'll be voting Republican next.

Last time I did that, I ended up regretting it. Of course, there have been more than a few votes for Democrats that I have regretted. Damn politicians. -- Doug
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 10:41:15 -0500, Douglas Johnson

Try voting Libertarian or just write someone in. That tells the politicos that you were there and they both lost your vote.
Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil.

A man after my own heart! I used to leave those lines blank- until someone said they could toss ballots with blanks. Now I've usually got someone lined up to vote for on every line-- if not, my dad gets the vote.
Jim

It's a lot better than the greater of the evils. That's what we've got.

I've got to admit, I've never regretted voting Libertarian. But none of them have ever gotten elected either. At least it helps keep the party on the ballot.
My favorite vote, if I can't think of a better idea, is to vote against the incumbent. Maybe they'll stop thinking they are invulnerable. -- Doug
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:43:56 -0500, Douglas Johnson

In CA, incumbents want to remove "incumbent" from the ballot. Imagine that.
Nevada has for state and national elections: *None of the Above" (NOTA). Might be the only state as it started during Watergate era.
Harry Reid had 11% NOTA from a party sided vote. In the primary we vote party lines and November 2nd this race makes history.

I think it is the only state. You in Nevada? Is it true if NOTA wins, they eliminate the position? [or just one of those wishful thinking rumors]

Do you mean you have 'closed' primaries where you have to be registered with the party to vote in their primary? NY is like that & I think it sucks.
Jim

I'm in Las Vegas. The critter with the most votes wins and takes office, regardless of the NOTA count. NOTA is just a form of "protest".

During the primary you vote for a candidate in your party only. You cannot cross party lines at that time. In the general election you can vote for the critter of choice.

That's the way it should be but there aren't many states that don't allow crossing party lines, anymore.

They should however list who is recumbent

Please explain.
I think it should be on all ballots for all elections. That way the less informed voters would know who has screwed the pooch (and them) the last few years.
Gordon Shumway A Liberal is a person who will give away everything he doesn't own.
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 21:29:54 -0500, Gordon Shumway

Never mind. I read your answer wrong. If they listed who is "recumbent" that would be damn near everyone running for any political office!