OT: Lawn equipment

My parents attend and now starting to care for a local Unity church within my neighborhood. They have very few volunteers to help around the grounds, perhaps in part due to lack of lawn equipment. I know the only gas powered equipment they have is a mower and nothing more. The other tool is a hedge trimmer, manual (big scissors). I decided to search through Craigslist for some lawn tools, which I'll buy, then donate to the church. Though, I don't want to break the bank, I don't want cheapy stuff. Therefore, anyone care to suggest what brands you would stick with? I think a good list would be a gas weed trimmer, hedge trimmer and maybe an edger, though uncertain if it's needed along with a blower, but those two items I will consider if they indicate a need. Otherwise, the other misc. tools I may get them are basic hand tools such as pruners, shovels, rake, etc. after I finalize their inventory.

Thank you

Reply to
Meanie

The only brand I would consider:

Harvey Specter

Stihl is still good. Stihl is seldom a steal.

I'd buy whatever they can fire it up, and prove to you that it runs. Gets you by for a year or so, and buy more junk later.

.

The only brand I would consider:

Stormin Mormon

It's very little difference in price to the box store brands and 10x better.

Reply to
Red

I would buy bargains, but they must be safe. Electric hedge trimmers are most common, t then you have cords. Neighbor across street just threw away a battery combo pack yard care. I assumed bad battery. Didn't bother. Looked new.

I got stilhl blowers and huskvarna chain saw.

I love my little light, sears lithium battery weed wacker Feels like two pounds. For light jobs.

I got two lawn boys. So so, but get job done. I miss my lawn boy commercial with ultra light chassis, large tank.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Meanie,

How much land? At a guess you want a lawn tractor, a string trimmer, and a hedge trimmer for power tools. A shovel, spade, garden rake, lawn rake, hoe, bow saw, and hedge clippers, and pruners for hand tools. A church is a business and most new businesses quickly fail, so I wouldn't worry about brands. Replace with good commercial stuff after the church has survived 5 yrs.

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

On 9/16/2012 4:07 PM, Meanie wrote: ...

I'll posit that all the equipment in the world won't change the number of volunteers...

--

Reply to
dpb

Next time: brevity, conciseness, focus;-)

Reply to
Douglas C. Neidermeyer

It's been in business for many many years (over 5). My parents started attending about 4 years ago or so. My step father ran a similar church closer to their home, but left soon after the pastor retired, then came to the one in my area and is now doing the same thing.

Thanks for the list, I think that's a good starting point and perhaps a final inventory for the size.

Reply to
Meanie

From my experience, when people aren't required to exert a great deal of effort to do a chore, they are more acceptable and willing to do it. Equipment which increases the ease of the task will bring forth more willing participants.

Reply to
Meanie

You must belong to a different set of volunteer organizations than I do--the small group that are dedicated to the organization see that the work gets done; the ones that aren't don't and nothing is likely to change them...

--

Reply to
dpb

When our kids were in school, we were active in the Home & School Association. Same people were at every meeting. The only people that ever complained about what we did were the parents that never attended a single meeting.

I'm sure most every organization is the same.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski