OT: Laptop Power adapter

I'm searching for a second power source for my HP laptop but trying to avoid the high OEM cost. Therefore, I've been searching for aftermarket adapters which don't quite match-up to the exact specs of the OEM.
The OEM specs are as followed:
input: 100-240v~50-60Hz 2.0A output: 19.5v--6.15A
I have found aftermarkets with specs of 100-240v~50-60Hz (input) and 18.5v--6.5A (output).
That minor 1v less and .35A more of a difference in output is what makes me apprehensive. Am I being overcautious or is it a legit concern?
Thank you
Your probably fine. The output voltage can be a little low. Low is better then too high. The output cut tent is the rating so equal to or higher is fine. The most important thing to check is the polarity of the connector. Most are - for the outer ring and + for the inner pin. Make SURE the new one matches the old one BEFORE you plug it into your computer. Also make sure the connect is the same size.. Mark
On 03/23/2013 03:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Spelling checker? they can do funny things. That's how I found out that "poss" is a word (the @#$% changed "possability" to "poss ability" when it should have been "possibility").

And some have THREE contacts.

keyboard
Mark

amperage It doesn't matter if the amperage output is higher. The voltage, however, should be identical. You might get away with the 1V difference, but I don't recommend it. Take a look at priorityelectronics.com (I have no connection to them except as a customer). You should find a good quality exact spec 3rd party replacement there at much less cost than OEM.

many. And even the <$10 ones mfgd in China work quite well. I've had to replace a lot of HP power adapters and these inexpensive ones work as well and longer than the OEM's.

One of the "off brands" looks like it just came out the back door instead of the front one.
On 03/23/2013 10:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have a "rocketfish" (best buy house brand) universal brick that works on pretty much everything, it also will run directly off 12VDC which is nice for mobile use. It appears to have been discontinued but this one
http://www.targus.com/us/productdetail.aspx?sku=PAPWR300U
appears to be even better as it is a 120W supply rather than 90W as is mine. If you can confirm that that will work for your laptop I would buy that one as likely you will be able to repurpose it after your laptop is obsolete.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I respectfully disagree. Those $10 adapters from eBay and Amazon are very poor quality. Some tend to run so hot they may be a fire hazard. They also often fail within a few months. They lack proper overload protection and can, though it is rare, damage a laptop. As a technician I would never buy nor recommend them for my customers.

It may depend on what you buy. I bough one for less than $15 that was new and for a Dell. It has all the Dell markings on it and I would think it is made for them. It was for the exect model that I have.
If the origional poster would have given the model he has, that would have been a big help.