OT kerosene lantern?

Page 2 of 2
NotMe wrote:

I've spent several winters in a small camping trailer in southern Arizona. Nights can get pretty chilly, enough that I've had leftover coffee in a cup frozen in the morning. I was using an Alladin lantern for light, and it also kept the trailer pleasantly warm. After mantles and kerosene became difficult to find, I switched to a LED headlamp for reading and really noticed the difference in the comfort level.
Alladin seems to have went down the home decor road and are pretty expensive these days but if you can find one they're a whole different animal than a kerosene lamp with just a wick. I believe the mantels are easier to find too. Thorium was used in the mantles and it produces minuscule amounts of radium-224. You would have to eat a mantle to even come close to the normal yearly radiation dose but it was too much for the Nannies. Searching for a politically correct alternative and perfecting the new manufacturing techniques took several years during which the stocks of the thorium based mantles were used up.
I'm surprised the Chinese haven't done an Alladin knockoff.

A by-product of making good kerosene is gasoline and there was no market for it so much was dumped or burned off. Rockefeller put money into the development of the internal combustion engine we use in cars today.
He also built oil pipelines in order to save money the railroads were charging him to move oil by tanker truck.

Have you tried Coleman? <http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Lights/Lanterns |/pc/104795280/c/104743080/sc/104428080/Colemanreg-2-Mantle-Dual-Fueltrade-Lantern/1403978.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Flanterns%2Fcoleman%2F_%2FN-1100702%2B1000003095%2FNe-1000003095%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104428080%3FWT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26rid%3D20%26WT.mc_id%3DMICROSOFT|cam_Lights_Lanterns_Cole|USA%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D43700004902758535%26gclid%3DCPiM1uyprsACFUjk7AodOg4ALg%26gclsrc%3Dds&WTz_l=PPC%3Bcat104428080>
On 8/25/2014 7:49 AM, CRNG wrote:

Ninety bucks for the lantern. I think I paid twenty for a propane lantern at the big box store. That seventy bucks buys a lot of tanks of Blue Rhino and an adapter tube.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Funny how some things never change. Their trying to build the XL pipeline, but Warren Buffet(big bammy supporter) doesn't want it because he makes money from shipping the oil by his trains(BNR)
CRNG wrote:

It's not a Coleman but it's a mantle propane lamp I use when I want more than spot lighting. I don't know how the economics stack up against the Coleman liquid fuel lanterns. Propane is as quiet as a kerosene mantle lantern, but it's a lot quieter than the liquid fuel models and you don't have to pump it up periodically.
I should look at the comparative costs. K1 is just about as expensive as Coleman fuel. I've never tried unleaded in a dual fuel. Maybe they've gotten better but it used to be unleaded sort of worked in a pinch.
On 8/26/2014 12:58 AM, rbowman wrote:

Propane is heavier, and it is fuel specific. You can't go to town and get a bucket of propane. The tanks are heavy, also. OK, you can use a plumbers 14.1 ounce tank, or a hose and 20 pounder.
I love the convenience, clean burn, and lots of heat out put for winter power cuts.
As you are paying for the 16 ounce heavy steel tanks, I'd dare to guess propane 16 ouncers are more expensive.
My two mantle Coleman lights the whole room plenty bright enough that during a power cut everyone knows I've got some thing in there. Not necessarily advantage. Wick type kero lantern doesn't make me look totally better than the neighbors.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
ChairMan wrote:

Yeah, and somehow the government regulations usually favor the biggest donors to Foghorn's campaign fund. And those big donors aren't you and me.