OT kerosene lantern?

A by-product of making good kerosene is gasoline and there was no market for it so much was dumped or burned off. Rockefeller put money into the development of the internal combustion engine we use in cars today.

He also built oil pipelines in order to save money the railroads were charging him to move oil by tanker truck.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not heard that. What a tactic!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 10:15:56 -0600, rbowman wrote in

Have you tried Coleman?

Reply to
CRNG

Ninety bucks for the lantern. I think I paid twenty for a propane lantern at the big box store. That seventy bucks buys a lot of tanks of Blue Rhino and an adapter tube.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Funny how some things never change. Their trying to build the XL pipeline, but Warren Buffet(big bammy supporter) doesn't want it because he makes money from shipping the oil by his trains(BNR)

Reply to
ChairMan

It's not a Coleman but it's a mantle propane lamp I use when I want more than spot lighting. I don't know how the economics stack up against the Coleman liquid fuel lanterns. Propane is as quiet as a kerosene mantle lantern, but it's a lot quieter than the liquid fuel models and you don't have to pump it up periodically.

I should look at the comparative costs. K1 is just about as expensive as Coleman fuel. I've never tried unleaded in a dual fuel. Maybe they've gotten better but it used to be unleaded sort of worked in a pinch.

Reply to
rbowman

Yeah, and somehow the government regulations usually favor the biggest donors to Foghorn's campaign fund. And those big donors aren't you and me.

Reply to
rbowman

Propane is heavier, and it is fuel specific. You can't go to town and get a bucket of propane. The tanks are heavy, also. OK, you can use a plumbers 14.1 ounce tank, or a hose and 20 pounder.

I love the convenience, clean burn, and lots of heat out put for winter power cuts.

As you are paying for the 16 ounce heavy steel tanks, I'd dare to guess propane 16 ouncers are more expensive.

My two mantle Coleman lights the whole room plenty bright enough that during a power cut everyone knows I've got some thing in there. Not necessarily advantage. Wick type kero lantern doesn't make me look totally better than the neighbors.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon