OT -- keeping old floppy disks

Page 1 of 3
I've got about 200 or so old A drive, 1.44 MB floppy disks. Some day, I'll set up a reader, and copy all the data onto a drive, flash drive, or burn it all the a DVD.
Is there any reason to keep the old floppies? Or should I pitch em out?

What's the point in keeping them? When was the last time you saw a new computer with a diskette drive?
Depending on what's stored on them, though, you might want to either securely erase them, or physically destroy them, instead of just putting them in the trash -- any sort of financial data, medical records, other personal information, plans for building nuclear warheads, etc.

I agree. Some time ago I had a bunch of floppies, and several zip drive discs (remember those?) After retrieving any needed data from them, I physically destroyed them. As I rcall, I simply cut up the floppies with tin snips, and drilled holes in all the zip drive discs. Then I threw out the debris. JimCo
My iozip died - "hiss of death" mangled the disks.
Makes me distrust any media.
I got a lot of PCSIG 5.25" floppies in the basement. My first DOS machine was MS-DOS-Generic (no bit map) so I couldn't trust software. Ironically MicroSoft (before IBM body snatched them during the OS2 deal and turned them into FUD promoters) once promised all their stuff was MSDOS Generic and I had bought MultiPlan which ran well.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist          http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
So, give me a hint. You are how old? Bang your cane on the floor when I get close. Ninety?
My iozip died - "hiss of death" mangled the disks.
Makes me distrust any media.
I got a lot of PCSIG 5.25" floppies in the basement. My first DOS machine was MS-DOS-Generic (no bit map) so I couldn't trust software. Ironically MicroSoft (before IBM body snatched them during the OS2 deal and turned them into FUD promoters) once promised all their stuff was MSDOS Generic and I had bought MultiPlan which ran well.
- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
I'll admit, my current computer doesn't have an A-drive. I have one I bought at a clearance, and could wire that in. Or, something else. But like you say, not much sense keeping them.
For sure, I wouldn't want someone reading my data, I do have access to a burn barrel.
What's the point in keeping them? When was the last time you saw a new computer with a diskette drive?
Depending on what's stored on them, though, you might want to either securely erase them, or physically destroy them, instead of just putting them in the trash -- any sort of financial data, medical records, other personal information, plans for building nuclear warheads, etc.
On 2/19/2012 3:26 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I'm rebuilding an older pc using a new sata hard drive and WinXP. Sata drives came out after XP did, so at one point during the install you need to insert a floppy with the sata drivers. I tried slipstreaming the drivers onto a new install disc, which usually works, but not in this case. So I wish I'd kept a couple of floppies, instead of destroying all of mine - but I'm asking around and somebody will find one or two to give me for this project.
On 2/21/2012 5:42 PM, Hell Toupee wrote:

That is unusual, did you also slipstream service pack 3? It has built-in SATA drivers that work on common motherboards and SATA drives. Of course you may have an odd one as you did say that it was an old PC.
The 'network install' of service pack 3 is still available at Microsoft. I found that 'Nlite' is by far the easiest tool to use for slip streaming.
I did this a year ago and also found a pack of SATA drivers that I had intended to use in a worst case scenario but there was no need as SP3 did the trick.
John
I'm guessing that you will find several people willing to donate a couple floppies to your worth while cause. Maybe I should hang onto a couple, for old time sake. Lest auld that data be forgot, in the days of auld lang syne.

I'm rebuilding an older pc using a new sata hard drive and WinXP. Sata drives came out after XP did, so at one point during the install you need to insert a floppy with the sata drivers. I tried slipstreaming the drivers onto a new install disc, which usually works, but not in this case. So I wish I'd kept a couple of floppies, instead of destroying all of mine - but I'm asking around and somebody will find one or two to give me for this project.

Hell Toupee wrote:

I keep USB external FDD for such an occasion. Some times driver(even with packing) is too big to go onto FD. You have to collect all the drivers you need and burn it on CD/DVD using another machine to finish installing XP. I play with Busy Box, JTAG, serial console, things like that to revive bricked routers for fun. XP or Linux works well in this kind of work.
On 2/19/2012 2:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The last time I even had a floppy drive, it usually refused to read whatever old floppy disk I gave it. Your experience may be better than mine.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
On 2/19/2012 4:42 PM, DanG wrote:

will find some old floppies and need a floppy drive. I copied my genealogy data for the family onto a CD and put a copy into the ancient (1900) family album...by the time anyone finds the album and takes an interest in the CD, the CD will likely be several generations too old to read on whatever the current equipment is. Anyone priced copying old 8mm movies to CD/DVD? Or a bulb for a projector?
I think, when I got my last computer, I copied all the floppies to drive, and then burned them to CD. Most likely, I already have all the data, copied off. For sure, it sounds more like wasted space.
Hmmmm....how much space to store future treasures? Some day, someone will find some old floppies and need a floppy drive. I copied my genealogy data for the family onto a CD and put a copy into the ancient (1900) family album...by the time anyone finds the album and takes an interest in the CD, the CD will likely be several generations too old to read on whatever the current equipment is. Anyone priced copying old 8mm movies to CD/DVD? Or a bulb for a projector?

cheap.

I have also had problems reading old disks. You also need to try at least a couple different drives. I got tons of disks but luckily little or no usefull stuff. they make USB units, but try to find the old large ones!!!!
Greg
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:42:56 -0600, DanG wrote:

Old disks collect dust - the heads in the drive need to be manually cleaned quite often when dealing with old media (and if it's really bad then it can be worth removing the magnetic disk from the protective jacket, cleaning it, then reassembling).
Newer (as in 1990s or even more recent) 3.5" HD media was also often junk - I think QC started to go to hell as floppy use died out and media companies started cutting corners and producing a sub-standard product.
I've read thousands of disks, though - even stuff from the very early 80s typically holds up well. 5.25" disks from Parrot and Wabash seem to be the main exception - the binder which sticks the magnetic coating to the plastic substrate seems to fail on those more often than on disks from other vendors; typical behavior is a screech from the drive as the coating parts company with the disk, sometimes followed by a crunch as the drive heads part company with the drive :-/
[always looking for vintage systems / parts, incidentally - chopping the 'moo' out of my email address should reach me]
cheers
Jules
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:21:39 -0800, Oren wrote:

Sadly I don't think I can use those in anything :-( They were probably current-tech around '92 or so, as I remember I had a PC which came with eight of them that year (and which I upgraded to 8MB at some ridiculous expense - I bet I still have the receipt somewhere).
Most of the stuff I'm interested in is much older - although I do have a couple of PCs in overseas storage that are mid-90s (kept because their floppy controllers will handle the FM density typical of old floppies, which PCs normally aren't capable of reading)
cheers
Jules
Too bad they're not B drive floppies...those are worth some money.
I've got about 200 or so old A drive, 1.44 MB floppy disks. Some day, I'll set up a reader, and copy all the data onto a drive, flash drive, or burn it all the a DVD. Is there any reason to keep the old floppies? Or should I pitch em out? Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org .
Oh, I threw those out last week. Along with the old German language Bible. A "guten something" version. It wasn't worth anything, some guy named Martin Luther had scribbled in all the margins.
Giggle. X, Y, and Z drive floppies are even more rare!