OT: Joe the Plumber wins primary

Page 3 of 3

Johnson's district is just on the other side of town from where I live, too.

Who said slavery ended in 1863?

All you have to do is look at the long voting record of Joe's Democratic opponent Marcy Kaptur. She is a left wing Democrat. Unless you can show me that Joe is a criminal, insane, or of extremely poor moral character, I'd vote for him in a second.

So you'd vote for any relatively sane candidate, regardless of their qualifications to hold office, only as a means to defeat someone else.
I guess that's a valid reason as long as you are willing to settle for whatever you get. If they screw up, you can always try to vote them out with whatever relatively sane candidate comes along next time.
That really speaks to the sad state of our political environment.

What is so sad about that? It's called Democracy.
Let's say I have a very competent liberal Democrat that knows how to work the system and get their objectives through. On the other hand, I have a Republican candidate that has expressed the right ideas that I believe in. Why on earth would I ever vote for the Democrat? Even if the Republican just sits there and never votes, it's already an improvement.
Which takes us to comments Rush made over the years where he said he wants Obama to fail. I do to. It's not because we want him to fail as a person or see him humiliated. It's because if he succeeds, what he will have done we believe is wrong for the country and detrimental to it's future. $6tril in new debt being one example.
And as for Joe being unqualifed, how qualified were any of the founding fathers who got involved in politics because they were fed up?
Where do you live? I'm in the USA, which is a constitutional republic.
I'd also like to see Obama fail, for the same reasons I'd like to see bank robbers or extortionists fail.

[...]

No argument.
My only point was that it's a sad state for our system - and any other country's or organization's system - when we are choosing between the least worse of all of the choices. I know it's never been perfect and there's never been a "perfect" candidate, but wouldn't it be better for any group to be able to choose the person they *want* to be their leader as opposed to choosing someone because either they're the "least bad" or simply as a means to prevent someone else from leading?
A couple of years ago I was involved in the selection process for the Varsity Softball Coach at my daughter's high school. Of the 5 candidates, 2 were highly qualified. That gave us the opportunity to debate their respective strengths as opposed to tallying up who had fewer weaknesses. That would be the "happy" state for any selection process.
Look at the Republican nomination process going on right now. Even the party itself is not happy with the choices but they can't get the people they want to step up and run. In the end, the least of the worst will be chosen as the candidate.
That's what I mean by sad.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Ah, but there IS a perfect candidate! I know someone whose views I respect and embrace whole-heartedly.
Me.
Regrettably, I'm not running, so I'll have to settle for second-best.

Even giving you the benefit of the (huge) doubt and "agreeing" that you are the best, the problem is that the second-best isn't running.
Those that we have to choose from are much farther down the list.
At least now we have someone who has practice saying "Ooh.... this gonna be expensive" and "the problem is worse than I thought, and it's the last administration's fault."
"Joe the Plumber, aka Samuel Wurzelbacher, won his Congressional district in the GOP primary in Ohio. Wurzelbacher will now face US Rep. Marcy Kaptur in November."
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/From-the-Wires/2012/0307/Joe-the-Plumber-wins-Ohio-primary-faces-tough-race-in-November
I'd be for a congressional candidate who knew, you know, how to actually FIX something.
His Democratic opponent, Marcy Kaptur, defeated Dennis Kucinich for her party's nomination yesterday.

problem is he doesn't understand the plan as he states it will help people in lower income brackets - wrong. Hell even Hernam Cain did not know much about the details of his own plan - there were many questions he answered with "We haven't `gone that far with the plan yet"
The devil is in the details....
John Carter

How about cabinet members, even those who are responsible for collecting the taxes they didn't pay?