OT: Joe the Plumber wins primary

Page 2 of 3

As I said to Heybub, perhaps that is eye of the beholder. I didn't see any judges appointed before Reagan now on the bench, but I'd have to look again. I don't think there is a reason to suspect that previous judges (since retired) infected the premises, do you?
--
Best regards
Han

Perhaps that is good. Even if it doesn't lead to any changes in jurisprudence, having the discussion is good. As long as we are all people, controversy and activism will continue left and right (pun intended). I just hope we can have the discussion without insults or cusswords.
--
Best regards
Han
Robert Green wrote:

How is declining to honor the same as dishonoring? Still, you make a good point. Go for the big bucks.
I suggest closing the VA hospitals and cycling vets who need treatment to a local facility.

We could start cutting the following nine items:
Free mail for congress ~ 90 Million Dollars 1st Class Airfare Upgrades ~ 146 Million Dollars U.N. Operating Expenses ~ 3.6 Billion Dollars Presidential Travel ~ 200 Million Dollars Farm Subsides ~ 30 Billion Dollars Department of Energy ~ 36 Billion Dollars Albino Squirrel Sanctuaries ~ 1 Million Dollars Department of Education ~ 77 Billion Dollars Environmental Protection Agency ~ 10.7 Billion Dollars
The reasoning for these cuts is explained at:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/KV-RqPtT2PU

In addition to the cuts listed above, the following are more than worthy of getting axed:
Medicare Medicaid Welfare (All forms) All other subsidies Social Security (To anyone that hasn't paid into it) Virtually unlimited unemployment
I'm sure there's much more but you asked.

Thanks for the help. See how easy it could be to solve our economic problem. But, according to what's-his-name "there is no silver bullet."
DD_BobK wrote:

Interestingly, the Railway Express Agency (who started the Pony Express) was in business for over 100 years and never made a profit.

It depends on the particular plumber.
If your plumber knows how to:
1. Low-ball the original estimate on the repair job so the customer buys in, after which it costs a fortune;
2. Blame the customer for the problems of the repair job;
3. Take kickbacks from vendors for using their substandard equipment on the repair job;
then he probably has the skills to do well in government.
-- Steven L.

Do you really know that Joe The Plumber had success in a trade?
John McCain apparently gave him that nickname because he worked for a plumbing contractor. Working for/as a plumber doesn't necessarily make you a success.
Some reports say he wasn't even a licensed plumber and made less than $50K a year around the time that he said he was going to buy a company worth $250K. It was his question to Obama about how O's tax plan would impact the business he was "about to buy" that launched him into the spotlight. There is serious doubt that he could ever have afforded to buy the business he asked about.
The fact that he himself says that he took a cut in pay - and got in trouble with the IRS - to go back to being a plumber tells me that he was far from a success.
I'm not putting the guy - or his politics - down. I'm just questioning your reasoning for claiming he might be better than others - "someone who has had success in a trade."
On 3/7/2012 3:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Googled up Marcy Kaptur. In spite of being a Democrat she looks like the better choice.
Better, defined how? Be specific.
Googled up Marcy Kaptur. In spite of being a Democrat she looks like the better choice.
On 3/8/2012 8:36 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I saw she is already in congress and has been there for years and has a lot of experience. She also appears to be more of a moderate democrat type if there is any such thing.
Some clips from wiki:
Kaptur, a Polish-American,[1] was born in Toledo, Ohio, the daughter of Anastasia Delores ne Rogowski) and Stephen Jacob Kaptur.[2] Her family operated a small grocery. Kaptur graduated from St. Ursula Academy in 1964 and became the first member in her family to attend college. She received her undergraduate degree from the University of WisconsinMadison in 1968 and a Master of Urban Planning from the University of Michigan in 1974.[3] She did post-graduate study in urban planning at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1981. Kaptur served on the Toledo-Lucas County Plan Commissions from 1969 to 1975 and was director of planning for the National Center for Urban Ethnic Affairs (19751977) founded by the late Msgr. Geno Baroni. She later served as a domestic policy advisor during President Jimmy Carter's Administration.
That does not say I would vote for her as numbers count and she is a Democrat. Just some are better than others.
A couple generations ago, we had something called the "Constitution of the United States". Some of us heard about it in school. This ancient piece of paper used to describe what powers were delegated to different government positions, agencies, etc. It used to be that the President of the United States had certain duties and powers. He didn't used to "run the country". He was elected for specific duties.

We hired a totally unskilled community activist to run the country, so why not give someone who has had success in a trade the chance to do better in politics?
Joe
DerbyDad03 wrote:

As opposed to: a) Living with broken plumbing, or b) Hiring someone who couldn't even use a screwdriver?
Let me think...

Few people get elected on the single criterion of competence.

Don't think too hard.
The odds of having broken plumbing *AND* only being able to chose being an auto mechanic and someone who can't use a screwdriver is pretty slim.
Thinking about which choice you would make would be a major waste of brain power based on the odds of it ever happening.
In the case of the election in question, you are not in that situation. The fact is that the choice is between a person currently serving in Congress and a person whose political credentials are nil and whose plumbing skills are suspect.
Thus, I ask again: Would you really vote for someone just because they can supposedly fix "something"?

DerbyDad03 wrote:

In the case under discussion, absolutely.
In my younger years I was an Administrative Aide to a U.S. Senator. I KNOW how the congress-critters work. There is no detectable quality difference of output between a Patrick Monyihan and a Shelia Jackson Lee.
The two things that count the most in the Congress: 1. Which side of the aisle the congress-critter sits, and 2. The quality of the congress-critter's staff and the lobbists they talk to

You mean the same Sheila Jackson Lee who made that impassioned speech last year about how "today we have two Vietnams, north and south, living side by side in peace....."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK3rTUgoQD4

Yep, that Jackson-Lee. I was trying to contrast arguably one of the most brilliant minds in my memory with a dingbat.
On 3/9/2012 7:54 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Isn't it amazing how the P.L.L.C.F. always question the intelligence of anyone of a Conservative ilk? One of them spoke of the Apollo astronauts landing on Mars and another worrying that our military would put too much equipment on an island and capsize it. If a Conservative misspells or mispronounces a word, the press never shuts up about it. o_O
TDD

Come on! If you want a perfect dingbat, nothing beats capsizing Guam.

Well, yeah, that outburst probably wins the cake. However, I'm in the same town SJL represents (though not in her district) and probably hear more of her silliness than the rest of the country.
Did you know she has one of her employees pick her up at her townhouse in D.C. every morning and chauffer her TWO BLOCKS to her office?