OT: Joe Horn shooting

You obviously have no clue what "Home Invasion" means.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I didn't mention "Home Invasions," whatever you think that might mean.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 3, 6:22 am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

sa-
No, you are incorrect. Despite the reporting of home invasion type robberies in the your newspaper, the VAST majority of home burglaries occur when the residents are not home. You are being fooled by the selection bias of your newspaper. Check the stats. The typical burglar wants to avoid confrontation & will by-pass the occupied home in favor of an unoccupied home.
Burglary is property crime, home invasion is an "up close & personal" crime, more akin to extortion or kidnapping. The occupants are used as leverage to extract assets not typically discoverable in a "normal" burglary.
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖

sa-
No, you are incorrect. Despite the reporting of home invasion type robberies in the your newspaper, the VAST majority of home burglaries occur when the residents are not home. You are being fooled by the selection bias of your newspaper. Check the stats. The typical burglar wants to avoid confrontation & will by-pass the occupied home in favor of an unoccupied home.
Burglary is property crime, home invasion is an "up close & personal" crime, more akin to extortion or kidnapping. The occupants are used as leverage to extract assets not typically discoverable in a "normal" burglary.
cheers Bob
You are correct. Home invasion is a type of kidnapping. Kidnapping is loosely described as when a person is moved at least 20 feet (varies with jurisdiction) against their will, or prevented from leaving when they want to, and kept against their will for the purposes of illegal activity. (very loose) So, that is why home invasion is a much more serious crime.
Burglary, no one gets hurt, usually. Home invasion, someone almost always gets hurt.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

And they usually target homeowners who don't have guns. How do they know? Maybe all that tofu in their shopping bags.
When it gets fun is when they make a mistake and go after an armed homeowner. Something that is happening more and more, creating a need for more morgue toe tags.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

Doesn't that point to having the home appear occupied at all times as being the surest deterrent to keeping your stuff where you left it? Just make your house the least inviting house to ransack.
✖
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I suggest it's the turning away from the principles on which our country was founded that put is in the current situation. In fact, one can almost prove that the troubles we have today are the direct result of a failed liberal solution to an upstream perceived problem.
There was a time, not so very long ago, when an 18-year old virgin could walk stark naked and unmolested across this state carrying a bag of gold, certain in the knowledge that should anyone bother her, that someone would be strung up the nearest tree.
Now the miscreants get trials and stuff.
Bah!
Add pictures here
✖

Texas had 18 year old virgins? -- Doug
Add pictures here
✖
Douglas Johnson wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Douglas Johnson wrote:

Well, there was me. And my cat. And, uh, others.
Add pictures here
✖

Now you are beccoming positively delusional, Bub. I think this OT thread has more than run it's course and everyone has had a chance to say whatever they thought.
I have a flat roofed outbuilding that needs a new roof. The roof will only be visible from aircraft. Currently done with roll roofing. I'm thinking about putting down aluminum sheet from rolls, using lapping cement and nails. New England. Think it might be more durable than plain old roll roofing that lasts about 15 years in this application? There is a pitch, but it's less than 1-12.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Would Martin Luther King's speech had the same effect if he had said: "I have a delusion?"
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 19:20:24 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

WHAT the burglar doesn't know is, if Joe Horn lives next door.
Not all enemies are beat on the front.
Add pictures here
✖

Only in YOUR mind;in real life,it's more often the other way around.

He can keep on saying this,but that doesn't make it true.

There have been several home invasions I've read about in the newspaper where one of the residents managed to get to their gun and shoot one or more of the invaders,and/or driving them out.
One was a 50 yr old woman who had only 20 minutes of "training" with her gun,and had been shot a couple of times by the armed stalker who crashed through her patio door.(Heathrow,Seminole County,Fl.) She survived,he died from her gunshots.
The Seminole County Sheriff's Dept. suggested she buy a gun when she got her restraining order against the stalker,and a deputy was the one who trained her.It saved her life.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

crickets
Add pictures here
✖

You're worried about turning into a person who would hogtie three people and shoot them in the ear for money that is not there? Funny, I'm not worried about doing that, so please do not include me in your "us". I suggest you get some help.
"ideas and principals (sic) that created the United States of America" ?????????
Firearms were a big part of the forming of this country, being as common as a hammer to early settlers. Both as a food source and as a tool against anyone who would take what they had worked hard for. Including freedom. They thought so much of the idea they included it in the Amendments to the Constitution. Maybe you heard of it? No? sigh .....................
You ARE sorry. Truly sorry. A sorry assed individual.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

An unfounded assumption.

got any examples of this happening?

people in Colonial times DID shoot thieves and burglars. They couldn't afford having criminals around preying on them.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Not at all. Do a Google on "Burglar shoots" and you'll get thousands of results. Why would you say something as stupid as you have? Are you really that naive?

The same search you just did will show you many examples.
Do you argue from habit?
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks Steve.
You've said something that lots of people believe. Crime in the USA is where it is because of how criminals are coddled, pampered and protected by our laws.
salty, frankly, you're full of shit. You're the type that has caused the problem. You're type of thinking is why these criminals feel safe entering someone's home with a weapon and taking anything they fell like taking, including life.
I have news for anyone stupid enough to come into my home with a weapon to overpower me. I'll do whatever is necessary to pamper them until I can get near to one of the 20 weapons in my home that are hidden, loaded and ready to use. As soon as I do, I'll kill that low life, sorry asshole who thought he could threaten my life.
The laws need to be changed. First offence, life sentence. No parole, no pardons, you come out of prison in a coffin.
While in prison, you will eat nothing but grits and vitamins. You'll build pre-fab houses that will be sold to low income families. You'll work from dawn to dusk. You'll have a 4 x 6 cell with one cot in it.
No exercise yard, no weight room, no TV, no a/c, none of that crap that has turned our prisons in to luxury resorts.
Believe me, if this were done, the crime rate would fall to almost nothing.
Stop treating criminals like poor lost children. They aren't. They are people who have no respect for human life. They threaten human life for a few dollars.
I promise that no one will survive a home invasion of my home. No one.
salty, you're so full of shit. Go pass that bullshit off on some other weak knee 'd, trembling, criminal coddling asshole like yourself.
BTW, I have news for you dummy. When our country was founded, if some one came into another persons home with a gun and threatened the lives of everyone in the home, they would have been hunted down and either shot or hung from the nearest tree. Your impression of what it was like then is as immature as your ideas of how to treat life threatening criminals.
I'm sure you'll answer with some quip about how I'm as bad as the criminals are. That's total bullshit. When other citizens obey the law and never threaten others lives for money, I'm the best friend they have. I would never hurt anyone EXCEPT if they do something to threaten my life or others near me. When that is the case, I'll end their life. They will never do it again.
My way works. Yours doesn't. The fact that yours doesn't is obvious.
Add pictures here
✖

See. You have no idea what I'm all about. Here's my solution to handle criminals at all levels:
They go to prison until the victim has completely recovered in every way, financially, emotionally and physically.
The real problem with our present system is that there are no determinate sentences. People get a sentence of oh, 2-5 years, which means they "might" serve anywhere from no time at all, to 5 years. No one knows whjat the actual penalty is for any crime, because their is really no set penalty for any crime. When it appears that there is, a plea deal always circumvents it, by pleading out to a different charge. Then there's the idiocy of "time off for good behavior". You are in prison for BAD behavior. If you are good, you only have to serve the time already given to you. If you are bad, your sentence gets extended. Just sentence all convicted criminals to prison until such time as the victim has recovered in all ways. If the victim never fully recovers, well... tough shit, you never get out.
Where will we keep all these long term prisoners? How will be build enough prisons? That's easy. We have a huge inventory of mothballed ships. We pay a lot of money to keep these ships in mothballs. These ships are basically designed to house feed and sustain a large population of people in less than luxurious accomodations. They have facilities aboard for all human needs including medical. Take as many as needed out of mothballs, and let the prisoners do all the maintenance work needed (presently paid for by taxpayers) to keep them in top condition. As crime rates drop as a result of this new program taking the incentive out of commiting crimes, just mothball the ships again as they aren't needed any longer. No useless empty prisons all over the landscape to maintain or let rot. The prison ship fleet can grow and shrink to fit the needs.
Add pictures here
✖