OT: Joe Horn shooting

Page 3 of 5

The burglar doesn't need to identify anything. He just shoots the instant he sees ANYTHING. You, meanwhile have to pause and identify your target, because you care that you might shoot someone who turns out to be a family member. IOW, you lose every showdown. The burglar has increased reson to shoot instantly in Texas because he knows that any movement might be someone who will try and shoot him if he doesn't shoot first.

I'm more worried about us turning into them. I believe firmly in the ideas and principals that created the United States of America. I'm sorry that you don't. Truly sorry.

Actually knowing that there is a gun handy, then the burglar has less incentive to be a burglar. Especially since they also know that shooting first is a good way to move from burglar to capital murder and that is Texas' other claim to criminal justice fame.

Come on SD. That condescending and self-righteous statement is far below your normal debating skills. Everyone that doesn't agree with you doesn't believe in the principals that created the US? Give me a break.

I didn't say "everyone". I specifically said it about one person, based on what that person actually stated. That person has said similar anti-American things many times before.

the LAST thing a burglar wants is to get into a shootout. He has too great a chance of getting wounded or killed,the gunshots make NOISE,attracting attention that a burglar does NOT want. Burglars (in the US) don't want anyone to be home when they are burgling. If they know or even think someone's home,they go elsewhere.
That "shoot first" scenario simply doesn't happen in REALITY.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Incorrect. I guess you havn't read a newspaper in a very long time. Home invasion is the latest thrill for criminals. They target homes specifically because people are HOME. It's even more fun than drive by shootings.

Which is another indication for guns in the house.

Once again, Kurt... You are at a distinct disadvantage against an armed intruder.
I'm done with this thread, as everybody has had ample time to try and make their case.
Back to repair subjects - other than patching bullet holes in drywall, and cleaning spatterd brains from carpets

Wow, dude. I suggest you get some lessons.
Steve

a "home invasion" is NOT a "burglary". It's an armed robbery.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

No, it's a Home Invasion.

Depends on the state or jurisdiction. A few have specific definitions of home invasion with additional penalties compared to the burglary statutes, some actually have lesser penalties for home invasion. Others just handle it under some flavor of their burglary statutes.

I was just correcting Jim Yaniks erroneous statement that it was "an armed robbery"
Let's try and move on to something more productive and on topic, shall we? This thing ran it's course 24 hours ago.

Me,too. As well as clarifying that not all home invasion are charged as such.

a home invasion IS an armed robbery. it's no different than armed robbers entering an occupied business.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Just for giggles I started searching for the definition of a "home invasion".
One wiki; states it can be an invited guest, that will not leave the home when asked by the resident (not reviewed by professionals).
..." Houston, Texas saw a rise in such crimes in the late 1990s when elderly women shoppers at an upscale mall were targeted based on their jewelry, followed home, and robbed in their driveways."...
Today! They want your PIN number and driven to the bank.

and that's NOT an "armed robbery"? and kidnapping,too,if they make you come with them.
IMO,"home invasion" is just the new buzzword.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Jul 3, 2:22 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

You've said that you're done with this thread at least three times. Why do you keep replying? Having the last word isn't all it's cracked up to be.
As far as your question about using aluminum sheet metal for roofing. Don't. Stick with roll roofing. If you want metal up there, get or make standing seam.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Well, it IS a burglary, though it might be something else, too. Burglary is the unlawful breaking and entering of a building with the intent to commit a felony or the crime of theft. In other words, kicking down the door is a considerably worse offense than mere door-damage would warrant.
There are numerous elements to the offense. First, it has to involve "breaking." You can't commit a burglary if you walk through an open door. You have to intend to steal something; breaking in to get out of the cold is not a burglary. The perp also has to "enter," simply kicking the door, then saying "Oops, my bad!" is not a burglary. However, reaching in through a cut screen IS a burglary, but stealing pies cooling on the window sill is not.
Believe me, all these - and more - bizarre permutations have been litigated out the kazoo, including such things as a fish-hook on a string through a vent or tunneling from underneath and having the goodies fall out of the building (i.e., a VERY heavy safe).

So, shut the fuck up, will ya?
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

"Kick burglaries" are not new. They've been fairly common for many years - north of the Mason-Dixon line and, of course, in the UK.
In the South and West, kick burglars have a relatively short career.