OT: Joe Horn shooting

Actually knowing that there is a gun handy, then the burglar has less incentive to be a burglar. Especially since they also know that shooting first is a good way to move from burglar to capital murder and that is Texas' other claim to criminal justice fame.

Come on SD. That condescending and self-righteous statement is far below your normal debating skills. Everyone that doesn't agree with you doesn't believe in the principals that created the US? Give me a break.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I know that! Any blondes?

Reply to
Oren

(Splorf!)

Reply to
HeyBub

I suggest it's the turning away from the principles on which our country was founded that put is in the current situation. In fact, one can almost prove that the troubles we have today are the direct result of a failed liberal solution to an upstream perceived problem.

There was a time, not so very long ago, when an 18-year old virgin could walk stark naked and unmolested across this state carrying a bag of gold, certain in the knowledge that should anyone bother her, that someone would be strung up the nearest tree.

Now the miscreants get trials and stuff.

Bah!

Reply to
HeyBub

Texas had 18 year old virgins?

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

I didn't say "everyone". I specifically said it about one person, based on what that person actually stated. That person has said similar anti-American things many times before.

Reply to
salty

Now you are beccoming positively delusional, Bub. I think this OT thread has more than run it's course and everyone has had a chance to say whatever they thought.

I have a flat roofed outbuilding that needs a new roof. The roof will only be visible from aircraft. Currently done with roll roofing. I'm thinking about putting down aluminum sheet from rolls, using lapping cement and nails. New England. Think it might be more durable than plain old roll roofing that lasts about 15 years in this application? There is a pitch, but it's less than 1-12.

Reply to
salty

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, there was me. And my cat. And, uh, others.

Reply to
HeyBub

Would Martin Luther King's speech had the same effect if he had said: "I have a delusion?"

Reply to
HeyBub

Kurt Ullman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@70-3-168-216.area.spcsdns.net:

the LAST thing a burglar wants is to get into a shootout. He has too great a chance of getting wounded or killed,the gunshots make NOISE,attracting attention that a burglar does NOT want. Burglars (in the US) don't want anyone to be home when they are burgling. If they know or even think someone's home,they go elsewhere.

That "shoot first" scenario simply doesn't happen in REALITY.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Incorrect. I guess you havn't read a newspaper in a very long time. Home invasion is the latest thrill for criminals. They target homes specifically because people are HOME. It's even more fun than drive by shootings.

Reply to
salty

Doesn't that point to having the home appear occupied at all times as being the surest deterrent to keeping your stuff where you left it? Just make your house the least inviting house to ransack.

RicodJour

Which is another indication for guns in the house.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Once again, Kurt... You are at a distinct disadvantage against an armed intruder.

I'm done with this thread, as everybody has had ample time to try and make their case.

Back to repair subjects - other than patching bullet holes in drywall, and cleaning spatterd brains from carpets

Reply to
salty

"Kick burglaries" are not new. They've been fairly common for many years - north of the Mason-Dixon line and, of course, in the UK.

In the South and West, kick burglars have a relatively short career.

Reply to
HeyBub

You obviously have no clue what "Home Invasion" means.

Reply to
salty

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:kurtullman- snipped-for-privacy@70-3-168-216.area.spcsdns.net:

a "home invasion" is NOT a "burglary". It's an armed robbery.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

No, it's a Home Invasion.

Reply to
salty

Depends on the state or jurisdiction. A few have specific definitions of home invasion with additional penalties compared to the burglary statutes, some actually have lesser penalties for home invasion. Others just handle it under some flavor of their burglary statutes.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman