OT: Jane Fonda vs. Dennis Rodman

'k:
Jane Fonda consorts with the Viet Cong soldiers and is excoraited, hated, depsised, ostrisized, &tc.
Dennis Rodman consorts with the "Supreme Leader" of Noth Korea" and ..... and .... and .... "eh".
Phuck Shit Fat will attempt to hurt us far more than the Viet Cong.
Thoughts?
PS: No offense to Viet Nam vets, only my utmost respect and graitude.
> Jane Fonda consorts with the Viet Cong soldiers and is excoraited, > hated, depsised, ostrisized, &tc. > > Dennis Rodman consorts with the "Supreme Leader" of Noth Korea" and > ..... and .... and .... "eh". > > Phuck Shit Fat will attempt to hurt us far more than the Viet Cong.
Nothing in the last 30 years suggests the Viet Cong have any desire to hurt Americans, and possibly not in 1965, when they wanted mainly to drive the foreigners out of their country. After that had been done, they welcomed foreigners back as tourists with hard currency.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
The real goal was to impose communism on South Vietnam, strip people of their property and human rights, imprison them so they could not leave. Seems all those people fleeing on every boat they could find to get away knew the Viet Cong better than you....
And as for it being "their country", many of the Viet Cong were not even recruited from South Vietnam. They came from and were trained by North Vietnam, who again, was determined to take over South Vietnam and impose their communist govt on it. During the war, did you see any South Vietnamese fleeing to North Vietnam? Given communist govts track records around the world, that fear was well founded.
And then there is the little matter of the Viet Cong fighting not just in South Vietnam, but also in Cambodia on the side of the Khmer Rouge. Was Cambodia their country too? And we all know the genocide that went on there when they won. It was on a scale not seen since Hitler.
Finally, the whole premise is wrong, because Jane Fonda went to North Vietnam. She wasn't in South Vietnam with the Viet Cong. That anti-aircraft gun she was sitting in was manned by North Vietnam's regular army.
On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 05:26:31 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"
Not too much disagreement with much of your post but:
Both he south and the north viewed the country as one country, didn't they, to be reuinited as soon as possible.
The US too iiuc would have been happy to see them reuinited if the VC were gone and communists were sufficiently weak.
>who again, was determined to >take over South Vietnam and impose their communist govt on >it. During the war, did you see any South Vietnamese fleeing >to North Vietnam? Given communist govts track records around >the world, that fear was well founded. > >And then there is the little matter of the Viet Cong fighting not >just in South Vietnam, but also in Cambodia on the side of the >Khmer Rouge. Was Cambodia their country too? And we all >know the genocide that went on there when they won. It was >on a scale not seen since Hitler. > >Finally, the whole premise is wrong, because Jane Fonda >went to North Vietnam. She wasn't in South Vietnam with the >Viet Cong. That anti-aircraft gun she was sitting in was manned >by North Vietnam's regular army. > > > > > > >> After that had been done, >> they welcomed foreigners back as tourists with hard currency. >> >> -- >> Don Phillipson >> Carlsbad Springs >> (Ottawa, Canada)
> >Not too much disagreement with much of your post but: > >Both he south and the north viewed the country as one country, didn't >they, to be reuinited as soon as possible. > >The US too iiuc would have been happy to see them reuinited if the VC >were gone and communists were sufficiently weak. >
The US blocked the unifying 1956 elections that were supposed to reunite Vietnam. We were concerned that Ho Chi Minh would win. Democracy is not allowed if the people don't vote for the folks we want to win.

It's an oxymoron that it's possible to have democracy in a communist country. I suppose you think all the elections in Cuba, USSR, China, etc are democratic too...... You couldn't have free elections in North Vietnam. And even if elections were possible, if the US became divided, one half under a communist dictator, and I was in the capitalist, free half, I'd pick up arms rather than accept an election that would result in me being subjugated to what has been shown to be a living hell over and over again.
On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 06:05:16 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

It is cold war thinking that a country would not willingly vote for the communist. Why not? Free stuff from the government. We see it in Southern Europe a lot and to some extent, right here in the USA. The US and Russia have basically switched philosophies. Their government spending as compared to GDP is about the same as the US and the trend is going down, where ours is going up.
On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 10:25:41 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Well, I think the US's radio has always been going up, except after wars when military spending goes down.
It's Russia that has changed, and though the govt. owned industries were unfairly, improperly confiscated back in the 20's or later from the peeople who built them, they were sold at bargain prices to another group of people who also didn't build them. So now we have some ultra=rich and the majority of the pop is still in bad shape, probably worlse than under communism.

Quite true. I was just at a small tennis tournament in Delray Beach Florida, won by a Ernests Gulbis. I'm actually a fan of his, because when he plays well he can be spectacular. But his daddy owns Latvia. Or at least a good sized chuck of it and the kid is a spoiled brat.
So in the 20+ years since the collapse of Communism, how did his daddy manage to end up with so much money? I have no idea.

't

VC

It's simple really. The state owned all the key assets in the country, all the natural resources, the industries, even housing. With the fall of communism, most of that was privatized. The politicians controlled the process. Therefore they just grabbed all of that for themselves and their politically connected buddies, including the mobsters. Instead of the govt getting paid what those assets were really worth in a fair and open process, the insiders got sweeheart deals that made them rich. That's why Mosow has more billionaires than any other place on earth.
On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 07:45:20 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Pretty much what's happening under Obama.
On Mar 12, 11:39 pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

om>

idn't

he VC

-

Funny we were talking about this. I went to an art show in NYC over the weekend. It was at the piers, next to the Intrepid. They had one of the side access doors open and I looked outside. Docked at the next pier, between this pier and the Intrepid, was a huge yacht. It was so big, you might think it was a cruise ship, but it appeared a bit small for that. A quick google on "Eclipse" showed it is owned by Roman Abramovich, a 47 year old Russian billionaire. It's 535 feet long, has a crew of 70, and was built in Hamburg in 2010 at a cost of $1.5bil. He's one of the guys who made off with the Russian's oil and aluminum industries. Reported to be worth $14bil.
But, it gets even better. The yacht arrived in Feb and is expected to stay for several months. Abramovich's girlfriend is pregnant......

I'm willing to work hard for the common good. What happens though, the guy next to me will be a slacker. As soon as he gets the same benefits for less work, I'm done with Communism.

Yes, that's t he exception I gave.

Hey....how do you fix a hot water.......OOPS! Sorry. I thought this was a home repair group... I see I'm in the wrong room....
Carry-on girls! <really?>