OT: It was a surprise after all.

Hi, We had our 2 yo dog's DNA analyzed and the result was kinda surprising. We thought it was some Husky, shepherd, lab. mix mutt rescued from nearby native reserve when he was new born puppy. B4 we submit the request for the DNA test, DNAMydog asked us to guess what Walter(dog's name) might be. So after family discussion, we listed Husky(coz it has blue eyes), Lab.(coz it likes water and looks like one), Beagle(coz it always sniffs around), shepherd(coz it has big tail like them) He weighs ~70 lbs. large medium size body. DNA report shows Husky, Airedale Terrier, Keeshond, Rhodesian ridge back, Whippet. Very interesting and unexpected. Now we can confirm those dogs' traits in him. After all he is very healthy, good looking, calm, smart dog inheriting only good genes from those 5 dog breeds. Atta boy, Walter.
On 06/16/2014 10:12 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

My neighbor's had their dog tested and it was a Chihuahua - Pit Bull!!!!
Would have been hard to guess as it is actually a very nice medium sized brown dog that has no resemblance to either
My wife and I call it a Chia-Pit
email.me:

How the heck is that even possible?

I always get mutts from a shelter. Breeders have inbred the "purebreds" so they often have medical problems. Besides, they're expensive. Don't think I'd get them DNA tested. It would destroy the "mystery." But maybe. How much did it cost?
Vic Smith wrote:

The web site is DNAmydog. Cost 60.00 CAD. They ship swab kit with return envelope, after I swabbed his gum with twice, put in a sanitized envelope seal it, mail it back. They issue certificate with his picture on it. We had it done out of curiosity. Best dog we ever had. Probably our last dog in this world.

A sterling lineage :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Probably you in the Russian-Lithuanian ancestry. That's why you don't hate Jews. We probably all some of in us. How much did that cost? Part of the arrest cost? 8-)
--
Tekkie

On 6/16/2014 10:11 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Could be or could be wife as areas overlap. European Jew is not a geographic area but areas the Jews spread to. Son is 6%. My wife is thinking about getting it done and we might pin down more of the source. Maybe I am Jewish as I am tight with money.
Another son's sister in law who is very interested in genealogy and a DAR member had her's done and there was 1% African. She insisted parents be tested ;)

You are aware that Judaism is a religion, not a somatic type, right?
It's not something that a DNA test is able to determine.
At best, the DNA test can tell you that an ancestor was from the middle east.
On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 17:54:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

ancestry, because Jewish is more than JUST a religion.
email.me:

They gave the Chihuahua papa a ladder. After he finished, the lady pit bull said, "Go ahead, do me". :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Must be nice having money to burn.
On 6/16/2014 3:06 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

We were talking about DNA yesterday at father's day party about a son that had his tested.
He was disappointed that there was no African DNA as he might have taken advantage of that.
They found Italian and Russian-Lithuanian (me) and Greek, Turkish, Asia Minor (wife). But where did the European Jew come from?
It was no surprise after all.
Tony Hwang was an ass by posting what amounts to a troll for a subject line.
Would it kill ya to be less of a drama queen and actually post some useful information on the subject line so that readers can decide whether or not to read what you otherwise should have posted to alt.dogs or rec.pets?

Extra points to you an your wife for creativity (grin)
--
“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.”

Do we have to explain this to you? It is doggie style - ok?
--
Tekkie

Vic Smith posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

Me too! Unfortunately we are getting too old to properly care for a dog. so we got a cat. She is very friendly and acts like a pet IMO should. We had a cat a long time that consisted of sleeping in unknown places. Making an appearance only to get fed or sit there and howl at me. IDK what the issue was. She wasn't very friendly toward my wife but wouldn't howl at her... maybe it was the grub. I always thought shelter cat) was constipated.
How much for the DNA test?
--
Tekkie

On 6/16/2014 8:56 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Oh yes, doggie style...that is how sex is at my house. I sit up and beg and she rolls over and plays dead. :-)