OT: It may snow

Page 2 of 3  

Similar forecast for here in San Antonio. Sleet and/or snow is not unheard of here, but I don't recall ever having either in the first few days of Dec. I haven't heard of any closings, late openings, etc yet. We'll see. Larry
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Zootal wrote:

Montana snow is probably much colder than Portland (or Seattle) snow. Cold dry snow is way easier to drive on. It doesn't instantly turn to ice.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It's not so much that the snow is cold or dry, but what the ambient temperatures do when and after it snows. In many places in Montana, when it snows it's 10-20 degrees outside (or colder - much colder), and never rises above 25. The snow packs down but doesn't turn into an ice sheet. In Portland, it's sometimes 30-35 degrees when it snows, and the snow partially melts. Then nighfall comes and it turns to ice. Then the next day the sun comes out, temp rises and the top of the ice pack melts and you have honest to goodness black ice. You can't drive on that stuff, not even with chains. Fortunately, it doesn't last long. Which is more or less what you just said :)
What is really fun in Portland is when we get ice storms. It's 20-25 degress on the valley floor, and it rains because the clouds are warmer. No snow, but actual rain and sleet that turns into sheet ice when it hits. Yeah, real fun - not only do they shut the roads, but people get trapped on the hills because they can't drive up or down the roads until it melts.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Zootal wrote:

I've never seen an ice storm here in Seattle even close to the ones back east.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bob F wrote:

two, I can skip the shovel and snow blower, and clear the driveway with the leaf blower in a few minutes. I hate the heavy wet crap. (Sloped driveway, so driving out over anything white is not an option, if I want to get back in that evening...)
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
: I like it when Seattle gets a good snow. After the first night, noone is on the : road. You can get places way faster than a normal day.
What's a noone?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 16:56:45 -0600, Joe wrote:

Noone, the mythical goddess of swift road travel?
:-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Best description I've heard in ages.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
HeyBub wrote:

even park in the grocery store's lot! Then we go through a round of "schools will open an hour late", "schools will open two hours late", oops "schools are closed". Followed by several days of controversy on whether or not the schools should have been closed, or opened late or closed early. And the ever present reporter standing right on the edge of a road saying "see how the cars are sliding". Dang, I remember really liking snow as a kid. I wouldn't mind it now if it would have the decency to do it on a weekend, LOL.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Lee B wrote:

I liked the TV station that set up a camera at the top of a downtown hill and filmed car after car sliding down the hill and crashing into a parked car at the hill bottom. They could have waved their arms and told drivers what would happen, but no - they wanted the video.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
HeyBub wrote:

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!
Latest update from the National Weather Service
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HOUSTON/GALVESTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING.
[...]
SNOW AMOUNTS WILL VARY GREATLY DEPENDING ON WHEN THE RAIN CHANGES OVER TO SNOW. PRELIMINARY ESTIMATES SHOW SNOW TOTALS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES ACROSS THE AREA WITH SOME ISOLATED SNOW TOTALS APPROACHING 5 INCHES. MOST OF THE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE ON GRASSY AND ELEVATED SURFACES. THIS SITUATION IS STILL IN FLUX AND FORECASTS COULD CHANGE RADICALLY BY FRIDAY MORNING.
We should have paid attention!
"However widely the weather varies from place to place and time to time, when meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe they find that the atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the past three decades. The trend shows no indication of reversing. Climatological Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age." -- Time Magazine
http://www.junkscience.com/mar06/Time_AnotherIceAge_June241974.pdf
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
HeyBub wrote:

Personally I'm terrified of "Global Tepidness". We have to do something now! We must dump ice in the Central Pacific Ocean and blast The Poles, (not the Northern European ones) with giant flame throwers!
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
1"-2" expected in Atlanta today. I remember on March 13, 1993, being blocked from crossing into Columbus, GA because of 3" of snow on the ground. The state of Georgia was closed!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Joe wrote:

-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I have to drive through Atlanta in about two weeks. I have already started drinking heavily in anticipation...
--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Joe wrote:

Yep, that was The Blizzard of '93 that paralyzed Alabamastan.
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Master Betty wrote:

Remember the prediction after Katrina that global warming would result in more and more hurricanes?
This past season, not one hurricane hit the U.S.
There are a couple of agendas intersecting here. The first is the climate academics who want more money for more research, so it's in their interest to keep finding evidence of their hypothesis. The second agenda being promoted is that of the Luddites who want to run the planet off of sunbeams. This latter group enable the climatologists because impending doom strengthens their arguments. You can test this by noting the absolute absence of treating the symptom rather than the assumed disease. For example, it's been demonstrated that seeding the atmosphere with relatively small amounts of something (I think it was Hydrogen sulfide) will drop temperatures dramatically for an extended period.
As to your point about a clean enviornment - all agree. The facts are, however, that in spite of energy usage doubling in the U.S. in recent decades, the air is cleaner than it's been since about 1880.
Everybody's ragging on CO2 as the clandestine culprit. CO2 comprises three-tenths of one percent of the atmosphere. If the atmosphere could be represented by the area of a football field, the amount of space taken up by CO2 is roughly equivalent to the space taken by the prostrate body of an official stabbed six times because of three consecutive bad calls against the home team and the increase in CO2 is roughly equivalent to the blood stain on the Astroturf as the official bleeds out.
There is, in addition, a global feedback mechanism. As the percentage of CO2 increases, so does plant life, which, in turn, produces Oxygen.
As to your last point, "misconception getting the job done," there is the cost to consider. It ain't cheap. Some estimates come in as high as equal to the GDP of the United States.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Glad you take the issue seriously.
I'm not sure who "Everybody" is. Lately I've heard more counter-claims than people on-board with global warming. I'm more for overall good stewardship of the planet.
I've always been skeptical about GW, but, I was just in Rome, and there were places it was hard to breath w/o getting nauseous. The cigarettes didn't help. I didn't check, but I seriously doubt they have vehicle air-quality inspections. Something simple like that can make a huge difference in urban areas. Albuquerque and Austin both have air-quality programs and it helps when you have diminished lung capacity. Abq. was really bad because of "the box" the balloonist like to talk about.
Jim
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Master Betty wrote:

East Anglia document dump in the, what, 18 days its been out there. The New York Times and the Washington Post first mentioned the contremps just yesterday for the first time.
When I said "Everybody's ragging on CO2..." What I should have said is "All the ragging is on CO2..." My theory is CO2 is considered the culprit because it's the product of energy generation. Maybe 95% of the energy generated in the U.S. produces CO2 (coal and gas). If CO2 is convicted, the Luddites will get their way. We'll all go back to a life that was cruel, brutal, and short.
I, too, have been to Rome. There is a department within the city government that prowls around the city routinely steam-cleaning the mung off of the statues and art work (i.e., columns and facades). I think it's because the city's 3 million residents drive 6 million cars and they're all two-cylinder putt-putts. But clean air is a completely separate problem from global warming. There is, theoretically, some overlap - If CO2 is the culprit, you can have global warming AND clean air. Or, back during the Little Ice Age, the air was double dirty as Londoners burnt coal and peat.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

don't get warm, it was their work that Saved Us All. If they do, it is America's fault. Win-win from their side.
--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.