OT: It may snow

Page 1 of 3

In Houston. Tomorrow. The National Weather Service predicts rain, changing to a mixture of rain and snow. Some snow may even build up to a quarter-inch.
Emergency preparedness plans are being activated as I type this. We can expect:
* School closings. * Freeway closings. * Runs on canned goods, candles, batteries, and strawberry pop-tarts. * Widespread panic as residents try to flee by going south only to discover the Gulf of Mexico. They will weep uncontrollably. * Overflowing emergency rooms and church pews. * Flight cancellations (there are NO snow plows at Houston airports). * Confusion on the part of feral cats. * A drop-off in crime as goblins conclude they're having a bad trip. * A five or six-fold increase in auto collisions. * Reporters will contribute to the mass unrest ("This just in: The Kroger store on Left Elbow Ave. is OUT OF BOTTLED WATER. Residents advised to run for their lives!"). * Children, bundled up in every bit of clothing they own, will scrape snow from car hoods and construct six-inch high snowmen. They will call it good. * There will be NO keg parties as there were during hurricane Yikes. Some will swear off booze entirely (these heart-felt oaths have usually been proven to be temporary).
Pray for us.

I'm in Chicago, even my 12 year old can get to school on his own in 2 feet of snow and -30 wind chill.
What seems to be the problem down there?
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 06:52:55 -0800 (PST), RickH

We in the South don't like snow or cold. It disorients us.
If we did like it we would move to Chicago.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

RickH wrote:

In Birmingham Alabama, we endured "The Blizzard of 1993", it brought the city to its knees. Them Damn Yankees called it a light dusting of snow. Afterwards there were a large number of T-shirts being sold with "I Survive The Blizzard Of '93" printed on them. It was a fun time for me watching the local weather baboons jumping up and down on the TV.
TDD
TDD

Remember that when driving in snow, you should aim for a speed which is right around where the car constantly shifts between 1st and 2nd, thereby making it virtually impossible to control. And spin those wheels. That makes heat and melts the snow underneath.

grocery store panic buying now at rush speeds. while people buy a months supply of everything.
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 07:16:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I remember the first time I drove a car with a slushbox a few years ago - it was a rental, and I'd only ever driven vehicles with manual 'boxes before. It was also the middle of a MN Winter, so plenty of snow and ice around. Couldn't wait to get rid of it...

It helps if you're going sideways at the time, because there's more friction that way - and you should spend at least some of your time in the oncoming traffic's lane, just to help *them* out a bit, too.
cheers
Jules
"Fear Not"..... We went through that same catastrophe yesterday in Dallas!. The wrecks were miniscule and only one School Closing. Today is a better day.
Plano Bill

HeyBub wrote:

Any threat of freeze in the valley?
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 06:50:51 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

Ha! Used to see this all the time back in England - half an inch of snow and the whole country would grind to a halt (and yet I remember Winters over these as a kid before that whole global warming thing where the snow would be 2' deep, and everyone managed then)
First real snowfall of the season still seems to catch lots of people out even up here in the wilds of MN, though - there seems to be one class of folk who panic at the sight of the white stuff, and another set who try to carry on like nothing has changed at all (they're the ones you pass who have neatly parked backwards in the ditch :-)
Generally people don't handle big changes in weather, or something like that.
Jules wrote:

That, and what you're used to seeing. I recall a lot of Michigan immigrees to Houston reacting when a hurricane was approaching. They'd look down and shout: "Feet! Make tracks!" The long-time residents would buy beer and organize kite-flying contests.
I recall standing in the Red Cross distribution center, two blocks from a skyscraper under construction. We'd take bets on how far the next bit of air-conditioning duct work would fly before crashing to the ground (in a poor neighborhood). All in all, good fun.
Jules wrote:

I like it when Seattle gets a good snow. After the first night, noone is on the road. You can get places way faster than a normal day.
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 09:24:00 -0800, Bob F wrote:

Ahh, yeah - the wife and I honeymooned over in the Seattle area (Snoqualmie Falls) - we just had a rental car booked, but the guy warned us when we arrived that heavy snow was forecast and offered to upgrade us to a 4x4. We thought the extra space of a bigger vehicle might be useful more than anything, so went for it (it was something stupidly small like an extra $15 a week).
Glad we did as it turns out - snow hit, stayed for a week, and I've never seen so many vehicles crashing in my life. Not just cars, but big semis too; those were just the ones that ended up where they shouldn't - there were far more that'd try to get up the hillsides and just gracefully slip backwards to the bottom again. Maybe 1 in 50 were making it through.
It got to be real seat of the pants stuff at times, particularly picking around vehicles that had got stuck and just abandoned in the middle of the road - but it was also hellishly good fun ;-)
cheers
Jules
Jules wrote:

Our warm temps often mean really slippery conditions after snow. The first car compresses it to ice, and ther you go. Every once in a while we get a much colder snow. Most of the drivers don't know that that stuff is way different, and you can drive on it, so they stay home.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, people can't even remember how to drive on wet roads when the first rains hit at the end of summer. Never mind that it rains non-stop for nine months out of the year. When snow and ice hit, it is a disastor. I've never seen a city grind to a complete halt because of two inches of snow like Portland does.
When I lived in Montana and we would get six inches of snow, we just shoveled it off of the windshield, got in the car or truck, and drove to work. Just another day.
Zootal wrote:

Montana snow is much different, no?
Montana might have also had snow plows.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:04:02 -0800, Zootal wrote:

It's law around here (at least in town) that if you have any sidewalk out front, you're responsible for keeping it shoveled. It's just ditch and then road outside our place though (we're 8 miles out) so we don't have to bother with that.
Lots of plows around - that's why the mailbox is on a spring-loaded pivoting arm, as otherwise they don't last long :-) The big plows make for good photos though when they come roaring past, trying to clear a couple of feet of snowfall; they can really sling it a long way.
And yeah, the ground here's gonna be white now until next April or so. We get good Summers up here, and good Winters too...
cheers
Jules

I think the biggest difference is that in Portland, the snow and ice episodes usually last a few days, and then it warms up and it all melts. In Montana it snows and stays frozen until next spring. After a few days, people have either figured out how to drive on snow and ice, or they wreck their cars and don't drive anymore. Portland drivers don't get enough time to learn (those that are capable of doing so).
Also in Portland (and other cities in the PNW) it often snows or dumps ice and then warms up and partially melts and then cools off and freezes and you have hard ice on the roads. Nobody can drive on that without chains, and even then it's dangerous.
But the snow and icy conditions that we drove to work on every day in Montana is enough to shut Portland down completely. I used to work on 82nd just north of where I-205 crossed, where there is this hill. Idiots come zooming up to the hill at full speed and when they drive down the hill they realize they can't control their car and splatto. We'd watch tow trucks hauling the cars off all day long.