OT -ish - Why shower runs cold first

I thought the other two guys covered everything, but I'll look at it again.

Where they were in the first place. That's why it's expensive. Or they save money by running them outside a wall, in a corner, and building a box around them. Most attics are unheated and water pipes will freeze and break in the winter.

Reply to
mm

We were talking about the temperature of the pipes in the walls. Now you're talking about the water in the pipes in the attic. That water can get very hot in the summer and it won't cool off to inside-wall temperature in the few seconds it takes to get from the attic to the faucet.

Okay, most of those in the north and many of those in other areas.

While I can tolerate 84 in the house pretty well with the windows open and a fan blowing right at me**, and 78 is normally just fine, if the windows are shut, that changes everything. If it is so hot that I do turn the AC on, it has to be 72 or lower. I don't know why, but even when I'm not paying attention, I notice sooner or later how uncomfortable I am at higher temps. In fact when I set it at 72, I'm still rather uncomfortable and I figure, I'm spending so much money already, let me spend a little more to get to 70 and actually be comfortable. (Or let me just turn off the AC and open the window.)

**I see little point in ceiling fans

I mean most people cool their houses to 72 or even lower. I wear very few clothes when I'm home so that helps me handle 84, and I've found at night if I sleep both naked and without any top sheet or blanket, 84 feels like 74, and if it's not too humid, I can go a little higher than that iirc. But I look at my next door neighbor's window, to judge if my 2AM tv will bother him, and his windows are always shut, with the AC on. My new neighbor, a girl in her 20's had her window open yesterday when it was pretty hot. Maybe she was raised poor and doesn't waste money.

?And everyone that has said I'm wrong

When the water pipes are in the area of the house that is cooled, including inside the walls below the top floor ceiling, but not including the attic. Some heat must enter the 2nd floor walls straight from the attic, but a 2x4 is probably a better insulator from the heatthan a broad expanse of sheetrock insulates from the cooler rooms.

Best regards,

Reply to
mm

Ah, no...I'm still talking about the pipes in my walls, that run FROM the attic.

You and several other people stated that the water in the pipes inside the walls would be the same temperature as the living area if you have AC. I questioned that, period. There were no parameters, and now it seems that some of you want to add some.

You didn't answer my question.You said most people keep their AC below

78 degrees....now it's in the north and many of those in other areas? HUH? Where is you data to back that up?

Don't know what this has to do with pipes in the wall, but ceiling fans make a huge difference AFA cooling an area. You get a cool breeze affect.

What does that have to do with you calling my house "unusual"?

And there you go again with what "most people" have their thermostats set at. You have NO clue where "most people" set their thermostats.

OK...the bottom line is, the water coming out of my faucets in the summer, is not 78 degrees even if the interior of my home is at 78 degrees like so many of you claimed..

The only cool water coming from my sinks in the summer is from the hoses underneath the sinks, and that last for about 2 seconds before the water gets warm, and then scalding hot. Then it takes at least 1 minute before the water is cool enough to put your hands under.

I can''t even wash clothes in cold water.

Reply to
Ron

In the slab?

Reply to
Ron

Which Alabama on which planet are you referring to? Bama is my home and I've been to both Florida and Louisiana which is the LA I hope you're referring to. Get into the hills of NE Bama and you will wind up in the clouds and that can be 100% humidity making it hard to breath when it hits 100°F. Air conditioning saved The South but it attracted those Damn Yankees and we can't get them to go home.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"Ron" wrote

Same place it was from the start. In the basement.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ron" wrote

I'm not sure what point you mean. The attic is above the insulation and subject to the outside temperature influence. Interior walls will be the same temperature as the living spaces over time as they are giving off or gaining heat through the drywall.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Usually in the basement, but if there is no basement, in walls, or floors. *NEVER* in the attic. Frozen pipes =3D=3D not good.

Reply to
keith

That would sound MUCH better if you used the correct word, 'breathe'. 'Breath' here just sounds stupid.

Reply to
George B

Because you ignore facts that are given to you, not only by me but by others, I bet you voted for Obama didn't you?

Gordon Shumway A Liberal is a person who will give away everything he doesn't own.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Ouch! He got me! I neglected to use what I learned in proofreading 101. eye caynt spel

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Clueless.

Reply to
krw

They may exist, but I've never seen a house built on a slab in the north. My brother had an expensive house in Dallas, two houses in a row actually, but they weren't for me because they had no basement and so little storage room.

Reply to
mm

Huh. I voted for Obama and I'm nothing like this other poster.

A Conservative is a person who will let others go hungry no matter why they are poor. One line just aa silly as the other.

Reply to
mm

Everyone else is distinguishing the water before any water is being used, versus after its running.

There are implied parameters. If you run the water long enough, you'll be using water from outside the house under ground. Were you talking about that water once it it in your walls. That will be cooler yet.

Where is your data to back up what you said?

to each his own.

Read it again. I'm tired of this.

Wait longer.

If you post again, you can have the last word.

Reply to
mm

I'm in the eastern middle of NY and while I agree that it is a terrible idea- it has been done.

In the late 50's it was 'the rage' -- "Warm floors from your radiant heating" "No cold, leaking basements"

In the 70's I was selling heating systems to an entire development with slab heating that had failed. It was aptly named 'Cold Brook'. [and I might add- because it was the 50's and the floor was heated, anyway, none of these houses even had perimeter insulation, so that was the first money these folks had to spend]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

The water coming out of your faucet is:

  • Room temperature until the water behind the wall is exhausted
  • 130 degrees or more until the water in the attic pipes is exhausted
  • The temperature then drops as supply water slowly removes the residual heat from the attic pipes
  • Much lower, from 80 to 56 degrees, as the faucet begins to be fed from the underground pipes.
Reply to
HeyBub

My in-laws had a house on a slab in Illinois.

My current house is on a slab, too. I agree with you, but only one house we looked at had a basement and it was on the side of a ravine (and looked about to slide down).

Reply to
keith

his for year=3D

cool off mo=3D

Has NOTHING to do with running the water. Repeat.....You and several other people stated that the water in the pipes inside the walls would be the same temperature as the living area if you have AC. I questioned that. The water inside MY walls is NOT room temp, period.

Reply to
Ron

Not in *my* house. The only "room temp" water that I get is just as I stated, from the hoses located underneath the sink.

OK, expect for your first sentence why are you stating the obvious?

Reply to
Ron