OT -ish - Why shower runs cold first

Because you ignore facts that are given to you, not only by me but by others, I bet you voted for Obama didn't you?
Gordon Shumway A Liberal is a person who will give away everything he doesn't own.
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:49:38 -0500, Gordon Shumway

Huh. I voted for Obama and I'm nothing like this other poster.

A Conservative is a person who will let others go hungry no matter why they are poor. One line just aa silly as the other.

We were talking about the temperature of the pipes in the walls. Now you're talking about the water in the pipes in the attic. That water can get very hot in the summer and it won't cool off to inside-wall temperature in the few seconds it takes to get from the attic to the faucet.

Okay, most of those in the north and many of those in other areas.

While I can tolerate 84 in the house pretty well with the windows open and a fan blowing right at me**, and 78 is normally just fine, if the windows are shut, that changes everything. If it is so hot that I do turn the AC on, it has to be 72 or lower. I don't know why, but even when I'm not paying attention, I notice sooner or later how uncomfortable I am at higher temps. In fact when I set it at 72, I'm still rather uncomfortable and I figure, I'm spending so much money already, let me spend a little more to get to 70 and actually be comfortable. (Or let me just turn off the AC and open the window.)
**I see little point in ceiling fans

I mean most people cool their houses to 72 or even lower. I wear very few clothes when I'm home so that helps me handle 84, and I've found at night if I sleep both naked and without any top sheet or blanket, 84 feels like 74, and if it's not too humid, I can go a little higher than that iirc. But I look at my next door neighbor's window, to judge if my 2AM tv will bother him, and his windows are always shut, with the AC on. My new neighbor, a girl in her 20's had her window open yesterday when it was pretty hot. Maybe she was raised poor and doesn't waste money.
?And everyone that has said I'm wrong

When the water pipes are in the area of the house that is cooled, including inside the walls below the top floor ceiling, but not including the attic. Some heat must enter the 2nd floor walls straight from the attic, but a 2x4 is probably a better insulator from the heatthan a broad expanse of sheetrock insulates from the cooler rooms.
Best regards,

Ah, no...I'm still talking about the pipes in my walls, that run FROM the attic.
You and several other people stated that the water in the pipes inside the walls would be the same temperature as the living area if you have AC. I questioned that, period. There were no parameters, and now it seems that some of you want to add some.

You didn't answer my question.You said most people keep their AC below 78 degrees....now it's in the north and many of those in other areas? HUH? Where is you data to back that up?

Don't know what this has to do with pipes in the wall, but ceiling fans make a huge difference AFA cooling an area. You get a cool breeze affect.

What does that have to do with you calling my house "unusual"?
And there you go again with what "most people" have their thermostats set at. You have NO clue where "most people" set their thermostats.

OK...the bottom line is, the water coming out of my faucets in the summer, is not 78 degrees even if the interior of my home is at 78 degrees like so many of you claimed..
The only cool water coming from my sinks in the summer is from the hoses underneath the sinks, and that last for about 2 seconds before the water gets warm, and then scalding hot. Then it takes at least 1 minute before the water is cool enough to put your hands under.
I can''t even wash clothes in cold water.

Everyone else is distinguishing the water before any water is being used, versus after its running.

There are implied parameters. If you run the water long enough, you'll be using water from outside the house under ground. Were you talking about that water once it it in your walls. That will be cooler yet.

Where is your data to back up what you said?

to each his own.

Read it again. I'm tired of this.

Wait longer.
If you post again, you can have the last word.

Has NOTHING to do with running the water. Repeat.....You and several other people stated that the water in the pipes inside the walls would be the same temperature as the living area if you have AC. I questioned that. The water inside MY walls is NOT room temp, period.

What temperature do you imagine that it *is*, then? And how do you "know" this?
On Jun 10, 3:31pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Does anyone read a thread anymore?
Water that is too hot to put your hands under within 2 seconds or less.....you do the math.
Does the hot water in the pipes that is around 120 degrees (or higher) just magically stop getting hot and drop to room temp just because the "plastic" pipe is run through a 2x4.
It's MY house.....I think I know it better than anyone in here.
I'm tired of repeating myself.
EOT
Ron wrote:

The water coming out of your faucet is: * Room temperature until the water behind the wall is exhausted * 130 degrees or more until the water in the attic pipes is exhausted * The temperature then drops as supply water slowly removes the residual heat from the attic pipes * Much lower, from 80 to 56 degrees, as the faucet begins to be fed from the underground pipes.

Not in *my* house. The only "room temp" water that I get is just as I stated, from the hoses located underneath the sink.

OK, expect for your first sentence why are you stating the obvious?
Ron wrote:

Phooey. The pipe that feeds the sink (assuming it comes from the attic, is 1/2" I.D. and six feet tall ) contains:
3.14 x 0.25 x 0.25 x 72 = 14 cubic inches of water, less than a single 8 oz glass. Of course the faucet is going to dump that in two seconds. THEN you get the attic water. Assuming 100' of 3/4" pipe, that's 530 cubic inches, or about 2.5 gallons. It takes a couple of minutes to dump two gallons.

To explain the stated condition: "...only cool water coming from my sinks in the summer is from the hoses underneath the sinks, and that last for about 2 seconds before the water gets warm, and then scalding hot."

You must be kidding
ransley wrote:

There is the small chance that this person grew up in a home/apartment/condo with a circulating hot water system that keeps the water in the pipes hot, or point of use water heaters? And since then has moved and didn't catch on yet? And being that this person never actually saw a water heater, never washed their hands at any public place, and just never really thought about it? OK, I'm being very optimistic, but it's possible.

Looks like my reply didn't make it to the NG. Probably shouldn' t bother to reply to nastiness, but just for the record:
1 I lhave lived for a long time in a 3-bedroom stucco house. 2. It has a water heater. 3. I have washed my hands at many public places. In fact, being that this is a public place, may I "wash my hands" of this nasty poster? 4. Not gulty as charged of " not really thinking about it"; rather not thinking clearly about an obvious answer to a minor problem.
Higgs Boson wrote:

Wow, and I was being very nice! Afraid to think what you thought of the other replies!
Ok heres something to add to this. Why do you need a hot water heater
IF ITS ALREADY HOT WHY HEAT IT.
So it should be hot water in the pipes because they are hot water pipes right.

Hot water takes less energy to heat.
[snip]
Higgs Boson wrote:

Standing water in the pipes is not hot. Simple logic.

Don't feed trolls.
On 6/3/2010 2:21 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

It's George Bush's fault.
TDD