OT -ish - Why shower runs cold first

Looks like my reply didn't make it to the NG. Probably shouldn' t bother to reply to nastiness, but just for the record:

1 I lhave lived for a long time in a 3-bedroom stucco house.
  1. It has a water heater.
  2. I have washed my hands at many public places. In fact, being that this is a public place, may I "wash my hands" of this nasty poster?
  3. Not gulty as charged of " not really thinking about it"; rather not thinking clearly about an obvious answer to a minor problem.
Reply to
Higgs Boson

Wow, and I was being very nice! Afraid to think what you thought of the other replies!

Reply to
Tony

Then perhaps you can explain to me while during the summer (expect at night) when I turn on the cold water I get warm and then HOT water? I have to let it run for over a minute just to get cool water. My neighbors that don't had direct shade on their roofs from trees have the same problem. A friend of mine that had his house re-plumbed (so his pipes are now in his attic) has the *same* problem.

Most of who? Are you saying that you know where most people keep their thermostats set? Anything below 78 degrees is just wasting money....IMO

What do you mean by "unusual"? And everyone that has said I'm wrong has not specified that different homes may be different. Seems to be the "rule of thumb" that ALL homes with AC are going to have cooler water coming out of the faucets.

See my first paragraph above.

Reply to
Ron

Hot water takes less energy to heat.

[snip]
Reply to
Harry L

he's just doing what Ronald Reagan wanted.

Reply to
Harry L

"Ron" wrote

Attics are not heated or cooled to house temperature. In summer, they become solar heaters so the water gets rather warm. In the north, you'd never plumb a house that way because the pipes could freeze in winter.

That is a blanket statement that does not apply to everyone. In Arizona when it is 115, keeping the house at 78 sounds good. In other rather humid environments we turn the AC on when it gets to 78 inside. We get the temp down to 70 to 72 and get rid of the humidity.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We've been keeping ours at 77F and it seems about right. I have the upstairs heat pump set for 80F which helps a lot. Much less than that and it's too cold. Alabama is in your "humid" class. We'd freeze at 70F.

Reply to
krw

Here in TN mine is often set at 70F in the house. In the garage/shop

68F, sometimes lower if I'm working up a sweat. 896 square ft. and an 8000 BTU window unit and I'm not done insulating. Thats running it 3 to 5 hours a day.
Reply to
Tony

Thanks for making my point after you wrote this "I suggest you read about the laws of physics and heat transfer. Heat energy will always seek out the lower temperature and the AC is removing heat from living spaces. Look up equilibrium."

In the north, if you need to have your house replumbed, how else is it going to be done w/o running the pipes in the attic?

Reply to
Ron

Alabama is nowhere near has humid as LA or FL. LA being much worse.

Walk out the door to go to work in the morning and get sticky. I hated living there.

Reply to
Ron

Let me try to explain this so even you could understand it.

Let's assume the following temps to be true: Wall temp ~80° Attic temp (daytime) ~120° Outside temp (daytime) ~80° Water Heater Temp ~140° Ground temp ~60°

When cold water is first called for during the day you get 80°(From the wall area pipes) then 120° (From the attic pipes) then 80° (from the outside pipes) and finally 60° (from the ground pipes).

See how simple that was?

Now at night the temps in the attic and outside will be cooler. Plug those values into the above explanation and see how it changes.

I know that's a lot of information for you to comprehend but give it a try.

Gordon Shumway A Liberal is a person who will give away everything he doesn't own.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

OK, go for it smartass.

We aren't talking about "wall temps". We are talking about the temp

*inside* the walls, were EVERYTHING is the same temp, including the COLD water pipes, as was stated in the OP that I questioned. "If the house is air conditioned, it will cool off more". There were no parameters given.

No shit Sherlock. Thanks for making my point.

Reply to
Ron

My garage/shop isn't air conditioned. What's a little sweat?

Reply to
krw

Clueless.

Alabama is no different. Same latitude as LA. Same gulf. Same weather.

Reply to
krw

If you say so. I've lived in Bama, LA, and Fl.......there are no swamps in either Bama or Fl like there are in LA. Not even close.

Reply to
Ron

:

BTW, the mosquitoes are a LOT worse in LA than AL, or FL, inland....so what does that tell ya?

Reply to
Ron

And for the most part, you don't have the same heat or humidity in TN as you do in FL in the summer.

Reply to
Ron

I don't know how that makes your point. I think the part abou tseeing the lower temperature is ambiguous for someone who doesn't already understand what is meant, and might be misunderstood.

At great expense, but they don't put the pipes in the attic.

Reply to
mm

From the OP that I questioned........"If the house is air conditioned, it will cool off more." Talking about the water pipes *inside* the walls.

Why don't you answer my post that was addressed directly to you?

So where do they put them?

Reply to
Ron

Meant to include this