OT -ish - Why shower runs cold first

Page 2 of 5

So the water in your pipes is 78 degrees. I bet it's a bit warmer than that in your water heater.
Ron wrote:

And if you turned off the AC, that water might stay at 90. It would still be cold for a shower.

Not in FL.
Are you telling me there is no heat transfer from the attic to the inside of the walls? In the summer I can feel a difference in wall temp where the ceiling meets the walls, as opposed to where the walls meets the floor.
Especially in the rooms that have vaulted ceilings. Also, my pipes are in the attic. So there is also heat being transferred through the "plastic" pipes themselves.

I don't have AC.
Ron wrote:

Sheetrock is a poor insulator and will readily transfer heat.
When you air-condition your house, EVERYTHING in it cools (eventually). That includes the air, several tons of furniture, electrical fixtures, the cat, the walls, and everything behind the walls (including pipes and wiring).
HeyBub wrote:

That is why HVAC folks talk about "thermal memory" The structure cools or heats as the case may be.
, the cat,
I think the cat stays the same. (internal at least)

I was begriming to believe you until you mentioned the cat. How can that be if you don't have a cat? :-)
Gordon Shumway A Liberal is a person who will give away everything he doesn't own.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

It's a Cheshire Cat. It's invisible until it smiles.

Of course it does. It just takes longer to cool the inside of walls than to the stuff in the middle of the room. It also takes longer to cool the middle of the room than to cool the AC ducts and the louvers where the AC air comes out.
But with enough time, it all gets cooled. Under a day, I'll bet, and then it stays that way until you let it get hotter in the house.

I don't use AC at all but most of those who do keep it cooler than that. Why are you using your unusual house as an example that's supposed to apply to every eles's? In addition, if you keep your house at 78, that's the temp inside the walls.

Then perhaps you can explain to me while during the summer (expect at night) when I turn on the cold water I get warm and then HOT water? I have to let it run for over a minute just to get cool water. My neighbors that don't had direct shade on their roofs from trees have the same problem. A friend of mine that had his house re-plumbed (so his pipes are now in his attic) has the *same* problem.

Most of who? Are you saying that you know where most people keep their thermostats set? Anything below 78 degrees is just wasting money....IMO

What do you mean by "unusual"? And everyone that has said I'm wrong has not specified that different homes may be different. Seems to be the "rule of thumb" that ALL homes with AC are going to have cooler water coming out of the faucets.

See my first paragraph above.

Attics are not heated or cooled to house temperature. In summer, they become solar heaters so the water gets rather warm. In the north, you'd never plumb a house that way because the pipes could freeze in winter.

That is a blanket statement that does not apply to everyone. In Arizona when it is 115, keeping the house at 78 sounds good. In other rather humid environments we turn the AC on when it gets to 78 inside. We get the temp down to 70 to 72 and get rid of the humidity.

We've been keeping ours at 77F and it seems about right. I have the upstairs heat pump set for 80F which helps a lot. Much less than that and it's too cold. Alabama is in your "humid" class. We'd freeze at 70F.

Here in TN mine is often set at 70F in the house. In the garage/shop 68F, sometimes lower if I'm working up a sweat. 896 square ft. and an 8000 BTU window unit and I'm not done insulating. Thats running it 3 to 5 hours a day.

My garage/shop isn't air conditioned. What's a little sweat?

And for the most part, you don't have the same heat or humidity in TN as you do in FL in the summer.
On Jun 6, 10:50pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Alabama is nowhere near has humid as LA or FL. LA being much worse.
Walk out the door to go to work in the morning and get sticky. I hated living there.

Clueless.
Alabama is no different. Same latitude as LA. Same gulf. Same weather.
On Jun 7, 12:01am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

If you say so. I've lived in Bama, LA, and Fl.......there are no swamps in either Bama or Fl like there are in LA. Not even close.

BTW, the mosquitoes are a LOT worse in LA than AL, or FL, inland....so what does that tell ya?