(OT) Is it possible to get "Directory Assistance" on a Cellphone?

Is it possible to get "Directory Assistance" on a Cellphone?

I was away from home and needed to call a glass company to see if my storm windows were repaired and ready for me to pick up. Thats when I realized that I had not put their phone number in my contact list. The glass company was 20 miles away, so I did not want to waste a trip to go there.

On a home phone (landline), I'd either use my phonebook, or call "Directory Assistance", or go on the internet and look it up.

But I was not home, so there's no phonebook in my car (maybe I should put one in there). And my cellphone is just a flip phone, (no internet). I tried to call 411 and got some error message.

I finally went to a gas station and used their phonebook to get the number for that company.

Anyhow, is there a special number to use to get "Directory Assistance" on a Cellphone?

My phone is a pre-paid Tracfone (if that matters).

I'm still trying to learn all the tricks to using these cellphones.... Seems the "kids" under 30 are the "experts" at using them. Not us old guys. We're just experts at using rotary dial phones, (and the "kids" dont know what those are, or how to use a phonograph). :)

Reply to
Paintedcow

Can't say for sure what Tracphone does. Try 555-1212. There may be a charge. ATT has directory assistance.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've got the same kind of Tracfone and would like to know myself. I googled it up and they advised 1-800-FREE-411 but it did not connect. Dialing 411 just got an answer that said "free 422" then silence. Let us know if you get something that works.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

I used to use FREE411 (800-373-3411). I'm pretty sure it's still active.

You have to listen to a quick commercial, but then you can (usually) get the number you want. The ads pay for the service.

You can also simply dial 411, but most carriers access a fee.

What do you define as an "old guy"? I'm ~2 x 30 and have no problems using a smartphone.

I just Google the company I'm interested in. Most times, the Google hit includes a little green icon that looks like a phone handset. I tap it and, surprise, surprise, my phone dials the number.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I remember that number, but it appears that all numbers dialed on a cellphone require the AREA CODE, even if they are a local call (number). I'll try it without the area code but I suspect it will ask for one. In that case, should I just use my own area code, or what???

On my landline phone, there is always a charge for Directory Assistance calls use on my phone bill, but i rarely use it anymore. I just use my phonebook or the internet. If the cellphone charges, they would probably deduct minutes, like they do if I was to get a ringtone or wallpaper from them.... At least I hope so. I would hate to have to enter credit card numbers....

Reply to
Paintedcow

I just dialed 1-800-FREE-411 and got right through. I listened to a short commercial for ADT alarm systems and then was taken to directory assistance.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Oops..sorry...the phone icon is blue, not green.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Tracfone is affordable, easy to use, and you dont need a contract. But getting any help from them is tough. I found nothing on their website to answer this question....

You confirmed that this is an issue that I'm not alone with.... I suspect it's a common question. Tracfone could make their website more useful....

Reply to
Paintedcow

Up here in Canada, on Rogers, 411 works. Not sure if there is a charge.

Reply to
clare

I can tell you that for sure it's possible on Verizon. Couple decades ago, I was charged $150 for the airtime minutes to directory assistance. At first, I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. The I realized I did call their 411 service for a number. Some how the call didn't disconnect and they charged me for like a 90 min call. So, I call Verizon Wireless and the customer service person tells me, it's my problem, I have to take it up with the party I called. I'm telling her that it's Verizon's 411 service and I wouldn't even know who to call there or how to resolve it. She just tells me tough luck. Even worse, now I have a phone where IDK WTF is going on, like suppose next time it's a 12 hour call? I told her I guess I'll have to get rid of the phone and Verizon service. She tells me she'd be happy to take care of it.

Finally, I got a supervisor who realized the absurdity, that I couldn't possibly be on with 411 for 90 mins on one call. He had me on hold for about 20 mins, while he checked with their network people to find out how it happened, make sure there isn't a recurring problem, etc. Then he credited me for the call.

I think whether you have 411 service and how you access it depends on your carrier. I would think the majors still have it, it's an easy source of $$. But with smartphones now, I haven't had the need to use it for a very long time.

Reply to
trader_4

Does your Tracfone number have the same area code as the one for where you live?

Verizon doesn't require an area code for local calls. As long as I am in my area code, I can just dial the 7 digits. Maybe a Tracfone requires an area code, but my Verizon phones never have.

In fact, my 4 kids are on my plan and all have the same area code as me. None of them live within 200 miles, with some as far as 2000 miles. I don't have to dial the area code to reach them since their phones "think" they are in my area code.

That said, whenever I create a contact, I always include the area code. That way I can call the contact from wherever I am in the country just by tapping the contact. In other words, it never hurts to include the area code, even for local calls, but it is not needed. At least not for me.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I used to be able to dial 411 when I had a tracfone, this was on an AT&T network, so maybe it depends on who the local carrier is.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Program in the number for Chamber of Commerce and call them when you need a phone number or information. Every time I call they act so happy to have something to do it's like they were just waiting for someone to call.

Reply to
jasper smith

Likewise, as I rarely use my Tracfone.

I DO know that many land-line providers (mine is CenturyLink) now subcontract out all their operator assisted calls. My mom, in the depths of her dementia, made a phone call and used an operator cuz she was having problems dialing the number she wanted. That 10 min call cost over $100! Jes ringing an operator was $40!

There's a reason why all long distance calls (direct dial) and airline tickets are so cheap, now. Try $40-$50 charge fer directory assistance and $75 per suitcase luggage fees. They're gonna get ya', one way or the other. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Just sitting here, right now, I called 411 on my Tracfone and after an ad got through. Since we pay for minutes ad maybe cost a quarter of a minute and would cost more when using the service.

I have to guess now that the service is somewhat spotty but it did work.

My Tracfone must be 10 years old. I was not going to get a cell phone but wife got a Tracfone and I'd borrow it when I was out in the woods hunting. One of our sons put her on his family plan and she gave me the Tracfone. Phone gave up the ghost and I replaced it with the $19 flip phone. It meets my needs and has over 4,000 backed up minutes to roll over when I buy the new annual plan for less than $100 and add more minutes.

I like the small flip phone that I can carry in the top pocket of my shirt with no case.

Reply to
Frank

As far as I know, my service comes thru Verison. From the replies on here, it looks like that matters....

I cant even use my cellphone at home. I'm too far from the tower or whatever causes the signal to be too weak to make a reliable call. I can usually send/receive a text though. But I have a landline. I originally only got the cell for emergencies when I'm on the road, but I need to use up minutes anyhow, so it's handy for general calls when I'm not home. Plus I dont have long distance service on the landline (to keep costs down). If I need to make a LD call, I use the cell. It's rare I need to make a LD call anyhow. I'd have to pay extra for LD service on my landline, even if I dont used it, so I just have local service only.

In 10 years, I bet you had to replace the battery more than once. Mine went bad after less than 2 years. I went to one of those "Batteries Plus" stores, they wanted almost $50 for a battery. I told the guy the phone only cost about $20. I was going to just buy another phone and swap the battery, but I found a NEW battery on Ebay for $5. That has lasted close to 2 years now, but seems to need charging more often than it used to.

I like the size too. I keep it in my pants pocket. I doubt a smartphone would last long when I'm doing my farm work. (Even though it sits in my car more often than not, when I'm at home).

Seems I spend more time charging it, than using it.....

Reply to
Paintedcow

I use verizon pre paid. they charge a couple bucks per call for 411. up till a week ago it worked great. live operator helps a lot.

verizon changed to a automated attendant 411 service. it tries to use your voice to find the number, after like 5 or 6 failed attempts it connects you to a operator.

now i called and tried to complain about the change. verizon claiims its a contractor and they have no control.

yeah sure.... another verizon cost cutting effort. they care nothing at all about customer satisfction.........

anyhow i am going to change from verizon to whoever has a live human operator..

i like my flip phone, its hard to damage, 15 bucks to replace, and verizon has the best network around here.

but the lack of customer service is appalying

Reply to
bob haller

Spotty here too. I've got a land line wired through FIOS but with land line billing and LD extra. Use for home consulting business with occasional calls to Canada and Europe. We also have VoIP as part of internet, TV, phone package. Two old retired folks, overphoned ;}

Reply to
Frank

The stories I could tell you about Verizon customer service would curl your hair.

The latest episode involves a fraudulent account that was opened in my daughter's name. I called them when I received the first bill ($600+) and the rep told me I had to fill out a Verizon form and take it to my local police department and file a report. As I was filling out the form, there was "required documentation" that my daughter couldn't produce, like utility bills in her name. I called Verizon back and that rep told that if the first rep had simply read the notes on the account, he would have seen that the account was flagged as fraudulent within 2 days of it being opened. The rep assured me that my daughter was not responsible for the bill and she sent me an email stating that. Imagine if I had been able to fill out the form easily. I would have gone to the police department and filed unnecessary reports, etc. A ton of work for nothing.

For the past 4 months my daughter has continued to receive bills (with late charges added) and eventually letters threatening to send the bills to a collection agency and report her to the credit agencies. So I've got an email from the Verizon fraud department telling me that they will notify the credit agencies that my daughter is not responsible for the bills. At the same time, the Verizon billing department is threatening to report her to the very agencies that the fraud department has told to ignore any reports related to the unpaid bills.

Apparently the fraud department can't just tell the billing department to stop billing a customer even if they know the bills are not the responsibility of the person they are billing. So every month I call both sides of Verizon, every month I send the bill back with a copy of the email from the fraud department and every month I am told that the fraud classification will work it's way over to the billing department and the bills will stop. When I received last month's bill, I called the fraud department again and was told that the last bill should be the last bill. I won't know for a couple of weeks, so we'll see what happens.

Another time I bought 2 phones that came with a $50 (each) rebate. I sent in all of the required documentation and was notified that the rebate was rejected because (according to them) I didn't buy the right phone. I called customer service and the first level rep had no idea what to do, so I asked for a supervisor. The supervisor came up with a fine suggestion. "How about we forget about the rebate and I just credit your account for $100?"

That worked for me and I thought it was settled. The $100 credit appeared on my account the next day and 2 weeks later I received two $50 VISA cards in the mail. I had done nothing regarding the rejected rebates after talking to the supervisor, yet somehow I suddenly became eligible for them.

After all I've gone through with Verizon over the past decade, I felt justified in keeping the extra $100. SWMBO and I enjoyed a very nice dinner with the money.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

And they just emailed me and others that they're going to throw away my email if I don't read it for 6 months, even if I'm paying the monthly fee.

Then they had nerve enough to end the email "Thank you for being a loyal customer."

Reply to
Micky