(OT) Is it possible to connect a HDTV to the VGA connector on a computer?

I have lots of music and other videos that I've downloaded from youtube. Instead of watching them on my monitor, I'd like to be able to use my larger HDTV as a monitor. The computer(s) only have VGA (or is is called SVGA), connectors. One computer has Win98se, the other has XP-Pro SP3. (If the OS matters). [Both OSs play the videos fine].
Has anyone done this?
Another thing, if this is possible, do they sell cable couplers? I will have to couple two 6' cables together to reach the TV. (Or see if I can buy a longer one).
As far as the sound, I can just use my computer speakers, rather than the tv speakers....

They sell many of them on ebay . Order direct from China and get it in about 3 weeks for around $ 20.
Ebay number: 230916606551
On 3/17/2016 3:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

That's half the question. What input options do you have on the TV?

On 3/17/2016 6:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

You can do it on a smart TV or a TV that you have added a Roku device to. Smart TV set up with internet wifi can access the web but selection and browsing is more difficult since you do not have a keyboard.
On 3/17/2016 4:55 PM, Frank wrote:

You can do it if your TV has a VGA/DVI input and is "multisync" capable (commonplace if it has such an input). Note that you're usually not "HD" at that point.
[This is how we watch DVD's]
You can also use an SVideo adapter -- if your TV has such an input.
An old PC makes a cheap "DVD player", media tank, HTPC, etc. and is usually far more responsive than a "smart TV" (i.e., the PC determines the performance of the setup, instead of the *crippled* PC inside the smart TV)
On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 7:07:51 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

Old flat-panel TV's and SDTV capable of 480i/480p (10-15yo) had S-Vid...they aren't HD. My 6 yo Sammy has VGA, DVI, HDMI, and composite video.

All of my TVs have VGA in. Not all TVs do. They also have HDMI and DVI (and some have svga and composite and component)
On 3/17/2016 8:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My comment is based on my experience with my new smart TV where I can plug in a USB flash drive with stuff downloaded from my computer and view it on the smart TV by choosing the device option and clicking on the file.
There is a USB port on one of my other HDTV's but it cannot access the flash drive so I assume the Roku type device is built into the smart TV.
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 16:39:53 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Been doing it for 15 years. If your TV has a 15 pin connector in back, it also has audio in. Plug it in, select RGB or VGA on the source menu and rock on. You can also stream Netflix and anything else you do on a PC. I have 3 TVs that have old XP machines connected to them all the time. Get a 2.4 gz desktop set (mouse./kbd) and you can run it from just about anywhere in the room.
There are some great MP3 players out there. I like MPXPLAY but Winamp is usable. MPXPLY has the advantage of jukebox mode where you call up songs by number from a 2.4gz num pad. A PC makes any TV smarter than a "smart TV"
i 2nd Ebay, for inexpensive connectors
marc
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I have a VGA/HDMI adapter on a comp and use the TV as a monitor . Unless you have a dual-output video card you will have ONLY the TV as a monitor . Depending on your TV the computer screen can be hard to read . I also run XP-Proo/SP3 on that comp and it works just fine except for some streaming applications .
--
Snag

Pretty much any new TV will work as a monitor and you can always bump up the font size. I was running W/98 on old CRT TVs via a composite out card. I wouldn't want to be doing word processing all day but running DVDs and music players was OK Right now I am running on a 40", a 58" and a 32" flat screens. All have the VGA ports. On the 40 I also have another PC with HDMI out that really looks good. It is going to be my "cable cutter" box when I get the DVR functions running.

Good point, but if he's not happy he can get a video card with dual output. $25 should be enough iirc.

I have a 2 for one splitter on a 15 pin cable that seems to work just fine
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 16:39:53 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Yes, more or less.
You can match up almost any computer with almost any tv. If necessary you could change the video card (or add a video card)
You can use a stereo Y-connector for your audio to split it from the computer speakers to that and output.
If you're tv only has an antenna connnector, an F- connector (with screw threads, you can buy an RF modulator very cheap. For any other tv inputs there are adapters etc.

monoprice.com

On 03/17/2016 05:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

For awhile most TVs had a VGA input (DE15), so you can connect it just like you would a monitor. Some might still be made like that.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/