OT: Is a stuck car accelerator capable of doing this?

Page 5 of 5

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Wow!I never thought of that. Unfortunately the Model 96 was not known for its aerobatics.
EJ in NJ

I have a habit of trying the extremes of a vehicle... when so one else is around. Tested in more than one vehicle, full throttle and full brakes pressure won't slow down the car unless it's almost stopped already. The brakes simply get too hot too fast and become useless.

Rental ehhh? :-)

Usually they have the accelerator pressed to the floor thinking it's the brake pedal. The rest of them are liars.
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 04:26:30 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net

Invariably they have confused the pedals. The idiot behind the wheel thinks he is pressing the brake while he is in reality stomping the accelerator. He pushes it harder to try to stop the vehicle.
Audi was infamous for unintended acceleration with dozens of reports of maniacal cars that couldn't be stopped. They put in an interlock to insure the driver had their foot on the brake before the car could be put in gear and all the reports vanished.
Didn't Ford have similar problems? I'm remembering stories of their F-150 pickups that would slide out of park, and take off with no driver. They put the brake / shift interlock in there.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

There's a reason you don't hear about unintended acceleration any more and it is because of the mandated interlocks for idiots. I don't think it was a good idea. I'd been much happier if it was mandated that a tree be placed 80' away so they could remove themselves from the genepool. The ECU could keep a log of the fact that the brakes were not in use.

had "unintended acceleration", the brake system was found to be working perfectly, but the gas pedal was found to be crushed... by the pressure the driver was applying to the "brake pedal".

To make matters worse, the Audi brake and gas pedals wee close in height
optonline.net> wrote:

Did you read the news story? I can buy the wrong pedal situation when someone drives a car from a parking lot into a store window in an incident lasting seconds. But not when it's a car with a California Highway Patrol Officer inside, likely he was the driver, and where the incident went on for minutes, where someone in the car had enough time to call 911. Surely in all that time someone could figure out the driver was pressing the wrong pedal. Also, almost every case of the wrong pedal I've read about they have been elderly.