OT: Is a stuck car accelerator capable of doing this?

Page 2 of 5

Steve Barker wrote:

Unfortunately formerly sensible companies like BMW are starting to feel like they have to copy the overgadgetization of the Japanese (Idrive, anyone?)
would be nice to be able to buy a good, basic, no-frills car with excellent chassis dynamics and road feel, but those days are apparently gone.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

The "start button" gadget is Euro from the F1 world.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hey, my '49 Chevy had a start button, and that was FAR from Euro :)
My Stude is one year to new to have same... "key starting" was a new and exciting feature in 1955...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
✖

ANd the 28 Chebby had the starter button under the accellerator pedal.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 22, 7:41 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

As did the late 40s (48?) Nash.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
harry k wrote:

Beep Beep
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I don't remember the make, may have been a dodge "panel van" (cargo van), maybe from the 50's or early 60's. That also had the start button under the accelerator pedal. We were playing in the junk yard (those WERE the DAYS!!!) looking for something we may be able to start and drive. I hopped in my friends older brothers van, it had been sitting for almost a year and I tried to start it just as a joke. Shit! One pump, then one more pump as I went for the start button and it started right up! I swear it never started that easy when he was driving it!
Kids today don't understand how starting cars was an art form. Even two identical models had their own special way to start it. This one takes 2 pumps when cold then half throttle, this one takes one pump and NO MORE or it will flood out.....
Add pictures here
✖
Nate Nagel wrote:

My 55 Chevy has a key lockable start switch. I don't know what else to call it? Basically it's like a normal key switch, but if you remove the key when it isn't in the "lock" position, it will stay unlocked and can be started and stopped without the key.
Add pictures here
✖

I had forgotten that. The ignition switch even had little 'ears' to make it ease to turn without the key. I had a 54 (don't recall if that did it) and a 57 and I 'think' it did. Then there were the fords with the switch on the wrong (left hand) side of the wheel. When did they finally recognize that the vast majority of customers were right handed?
Harry k
Add pictures here
✖

Actually Porsche deliberately put the ignition switch on the left side of the dash for years. Rationale was for "LeMans" style racing starts, the driver could be in the seat, one hand on the shifter selecting first gear while cranking the engine with the other hand.
Studebaker did the same thing, although my '55 has the key in a more normal position (up high on the dash, just to the left of the radio) - not sure if they had any particular rationale in mind, it seemed to change from year to year, but it seemed that more often than not it ended up on the left side (all Hawks had the key on the left, for instance.)
nate
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes, same place steering wheel paddle shifters came from.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:32:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Ford is doing the same - and by the way things are going pretty soon all the "higher end" vehicles will have it for sure. Most of the low end wannabees already do.
Add pictures here
✖
Bob M. wrote:

that's all i use on my xp machine also. Most versions before this i just threw the switch on the back.
Add pictures here
✖
Nate Nagel wrote:

While taking my 55 bel air out for some air, the first time in over 15 years, out on a nice straightaway the throttle stuck. I was already going faster than I should have been and yes I panicked. First I hit the brakes as hard as possible and the pedal went to the floor. (sat so long the master cylinder went bad but they worked until that point). I stomped on the accelerator a few times to try and release it, no good. Still gaining speed. Finally I came to my senses and turned off the ignition, I also pumped the brakes and they started to work also. My friend (way) behind me came running up taking off his jacket and swatting under the car. With the stuck throttle and no ignition a lot of gasoline came out of the open headers and things were hot enough so it came out in flames. He told me that at first the flames were almost long enough to look like the Batmobile. The main point is that I panicked, and I didn't have an unfamiliar "off button" to deal with.
Add pictures here
✖

Better get the check straps installed oin the motor mounts, or the new style mounts. When the engine mount fails under accelleration on older chevies with mechanical throttle linkage, the engine lifts, jamming the throttle wide open. No way to release it short of shutting off the engine. There was a company wide recall covering all affected models back in about 1967 or '68.
I'm assuming this '55 has had a later model engine installed, using the "block" type mounts rather than the original front-mount type.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It did have the front mounts, but now it has a fuel saving 454 in it. I bought a kit made for big blocks that makes use of the front mounts, the mid mounts, and a transmission mount.
Tony
Add pictures here
✖

55 bel air? Hmmmm....
Throttle/linkage sticks - that car is dangerous, a threat to your life and those around you. Where do I pick it up...[in the interest and safety of you and your loved ones]?
Add pictures here
✖
Red Green wrote:

Wow! People here are so nice! I should get rid of it because it doesn't have those "posts" between the front and rear windows either. I think it's called a 2 door hardtop, or the real name is a Bel Air Sport Coupe. We'll keep in touch so I can get it out of my way. I'd like to stack firewood in the garage where it is now sitting in my way.
Add pictures here
✖

I'm busy but I'll squeeze you in and make time.
Add pictures here
✖

But you didn't pull out your cell phone to call a clueless 911 operator who wouldn't be of help anyway.. I just don't get why a former cop would bother making a phone call at that point... Maybe you had the 'advantage' of being alone in the car. In his case 4 heads couldn't come up with a solution, so they called someone else who was equally clueless..
Add pictures here
✖