OT: Indy Car Steering Wheel, Electrical Connection

Page 1 of 2
A recent episode of "How Is It Made" showed them building an Indy Car steering wheel similar to this one:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7138/7051453139_cc6dbb5d8f_b.jpg
They then showed the yellow quick connect on the back of the steering wheel similar to this one:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/N6tln07e2_E/maxresdefault.jpg
What they never mentioned was anything about how the steering wheel talks to the car. In the connector image, I see wires going into a box below the quick connect collar. Would I be correct in assuming that deep inside the collar there is a plug/socket that connects the controls to the car?
I feel safe in assuming that it's not a wifi or Bluetooth connection, so it must be mechanical, correct?
On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 06:37:20 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

recievers or could all be multiplexed on a single pair connector, with power either on the same pair or separate. LOTS of ways to do it.

Possible - but this is a "removeable" steering wheel. Clock springs only stretch so far. ;}

Clare, the nut that holds the wheel is loose... Sort of like a Benny Hill show. The tech is pulling on the wheel and the clock spring is yanking it back. Then all the displays and other safarkus are smashed and the clock spring is wrapped around the private parts of the tech. He just "clocked" out.
--
Tekkie

Oren posted for all of us...

Does anybody know what time it is?~~~~~~~~~~~
--
Tekkie

On 11/13/2015 8:37 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

controlled from the steering wheel... radio,cruise control, etc..., not to mention the SRS airbag.
On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 12:40:17 PM UTC-5, Mr.Emann wrote:

Please explain how a "clock spring" works in this situation. I am not familiar with that and how it becomes a plug and play electrical connection for a removable steering wheel.

Do any of those vehicles allow a quick connect collar to be pulled back so that the entire steering wheel (and all of the controls) can be removed in a fraction of a second? I think not, so I'm not sure the comparison of a mini-van's steering wheel to an Indy car's steering wheel is valid. I maybe wrong, but that's my guess.
On 11/13/2015 1:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I must have missed where you said anything about quick disconnects or plug and play. Could you please refer me to where any of that was said? TIA
FWIW, even a mini-van's steering wheel can be removed... all controls still attached to it.
On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 2:38:37 PM UTC-5, Mr.Emann wrote:

I'll gladly refer you to the post you responded to. Note the words:
"yellow quick connect on the back of the steering wheel"

Yes, but cables would need to be manually unplugged. Not so with Indy car quick release steering wheels. Pull back on the ring and slide the steering wheel off of the shaft.
It doesn't matter now, as Oren has provided a source for the information I was looking for.

"A recent episode of "How Is It Made" showed them building an Indy Car steering wheel similar to this one:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7138/7051453139_cc6dbb5d8f_b.jpg
They then showed the yellow quick connect on the back of the steering wheel similar to this one:"
And removing a "mini-van" steering wheel with controls on itgenerally isn't a 2 second job - but yes - a clockspring COULD be used - - but it would make the "quick release" a little les "quick"
On 11/13/2015 3:41 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

steering wheels would still have to incorporate a clock-spring (of some sort) to allow for turning the steering wheel. It's still a "wired" connection, no matter how you look at it. The only thing I can see different (as far as the electrical connection goes) is not having a locking tab on the connection. And as far as the "quickness" goes, the mini-van (sic) has a nut holding the steering wheel on, but then they weren't designed to have the wheel changed in a matter of seconds. The original question was how the connection was made... blue-tooth... wifi... mechanical ...etc.
On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 5:03:12 PM UTC-5, Mr.Emann wrote:

So now you recall what was said in the original question? Do you now recall my mention of the quick connect?
Did you watch the video where Ryan Hunter says that the electrical connections are made through the "teeth" of the quick connect? Do you still feel that a clock spring is required in an Indy car?
On 11/13/2015 4:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Mr.Emann wrote:

One wire can carry many different signals for sure. It may be even fiber optics wire.

On 11/13/2015 5:41 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

control an Indy car? I've had car horns that only worked if the steering wheel was in just the right position. I would prefer a solid connection.
On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 6:52:43 PM UTC-5, Mr.Emann wrote:

Is this solid enough for you? No clock spring required. Keep in mind how little an Indy Steering wheel has to turn. Pin connectors and a single cable is all that is needed.
http://www.lifeline-fire.co.uk/motorsport/products.asp?page=quick-release-steering-boss-19
On 11/13/2015 6:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

between the steering wheel and the steering column.
On 11/13/15 7:24 PM, Mr.Emann wrote:

http://www.indycarfactory.com/contact.html
On 11/13/2015 6:36 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

Which brings this full circle. The OP could have done just that.