OT: Indiana becomes a Right To Work state

Page 2 of 2

:

Which is why the unions have fought so hard against RTW and for the end of secret voting on unions. They want a card system that will allow them to force the workers to sign and then force the union of them.

Very well said! The unions had a very important part in our history but they have drastically overplayed their role and now they are seeing everyone, including the workers, turn against them.

On 2/2/2012 11:38 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

I worked a long time in Indiana. Worked for one employer who made immense efforts to remain union-free by staying on top of wage and benefit scales. It was a good company to work for. I had a friend, long ago, who worked in a union co., also Indiana....he was out on strike for a LONG time, can't remember the time now but do remember that we figured that the $.10/hour they were striking for would take 35 years to recover the wages lost on strike!
I worked through a reorganization (welcome, to me) that pushed quite a few older (dead wood) employees into retirement....folks who hadn't had a new idea since the day they were hired. I had sympathy for them at the time, as the fear was palpable. OTOH, I have always been loyal to my employer, as I figure unless they are crooks that it benefits all of us to work hard and remain current. At co. #2, my dept was going to absorb an HR position when the HR employee retired; my two co-workers quit rather than take on the extra work without a raise. The two were replaced by ONE new INEXPERIENCED person whom I trained. We made the new HR function FLY and I got one heck of a good raise.
I tend to be rather "liberal" (in today's definition) but rather like the idea of RTW, as it keeps both parties on their toes. If employer is screwing me over, I'll join the union. Auto workers (and others) have screwed themselves. I've also worked in HR enough to see all the ways that people f--- themselves and coworkers whilst f------ their employer.
.

American Airlines is just the newest poster child for union idiocy. All of the other airlines had gone through bankruptcy, had shed the old union contract and were making money. AA hadn't and as such was losing money. AA had gone to the unions on a number of occassions and asked for concessions similar to what had taken place at other airlines. Unions refused and AA filed bankruptcy. So, instead of talking with AA and having a voice in how the downsizing was managed, the unions said no and yesterday AA announced 15K layoffs.
On 2/1/2012 5:33 PM, Hell Toupee wrote:

Irrelevant. Freedom OF association also includes freedom FROM association. If you had a choice between making twice as much money, or having your constitutional rights violated, which would you pick?
IMHO, modern unions have morphed into political parties. THAT is why I never joined the union where I worked, during the parts of my career where I was eligible to be part of the bargaining unit. Of course, not paying dues, I would never have asked them for services- fair is fair. Didn't seem to bother them- they made me their rep on a couple employment review panels back before that was mechanized, and printed my anti-drug-testing diatribe in their newsletter.
--
aem sends...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Democratic party