OT: Indiana becomes a Right To Work state

Page 1 of 2  
"Indiana's Republican governor Mitch Daniels signed the legislation into law immediately after it was given final approval in the state Senate, making Indiana the first state to adopt such a measure since Oklahoma did so a decade ago."
Indiana is now a Right To Work (or "Right To Scab" depending on your point of view) state.
http://news.yahoo.com/indiana-poised-approve-anti-union-law-140910525.html
Those in opposition promise demonstrations this week-end during the Indianapolis Super Bowl. There are rumors that the "Occupy" protesters are also planning to make their presence known.
For those of us staying at home, NY Mayor Bloomberg's group, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, will have a 30-second spot ($3.5 million) on TV during the game.*
There may be more excitement off the field than on.
--------- * Advance information says the ad will focus on private sales at gun shows where background checks do not take place. These sales, however, are completely lawful which sorta confounds the group's interest in "illegal" guns.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/31/2012 2:59 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Fixed it. There's a reason that wages, benefits, and standards of living are all lower in right-to-work states.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yeah most of them are in the South and have always been lower wage areas. I am actually interested to see what happens in Indiana since it still one of the top 5 or so manufacturing states and one that has a traditionally unionized work force.
--
People thought cybersex was a safe alternative,
until patients started presenting with sexually
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That explains why so many people are moving to those states and out of the rust belt. The people would rather have a job, a home, and a lower cost of living than stand on picket lines.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 2/1/2012 7:04 PM, BobR wrote:

2010 census data on growing poverty
http://www.census.gov/prod/2010pubs/acsbr09-1.pdf
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hell Toupee wrote:

There are many reports on both sides of the issue. Here's on opposite your view:
"When the 2000 mean weekly earnings for full-time wage and salary employees in the 50 states, as published on pp. 30-35 of the 2001 edition of the Bureau of National Affairs' Union Membership and Earnings Data Book, are adjusted for differences in living costs, the real earnings of employees in Right to Work states are shown to be higher."
http://www.nilrr.org/node/63
But what will be interesting is to compare Indiana's numbers compared to its neighbors a year from now. If there's no overall change in standard of living, unemployment, new business start-ups, state payrolls, etc., then RTW legislation will be shown to have no significant macro effect. If, however, these characteristics go south, then the legislation can be deemed a failure.
Personally, I think it's an experiment worth having.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

--
People thought cybersex was a safe alternative,
until patients started presenting with sexually
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 2/1/2012 8:48 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Iowa has had a right to work law for 60 years. Can that state be used for comparision with the same neighbours? Or are indiania's neighbours (Michigan Ohio Illinois) different than Iowa's neighbours of Minnesota Wisconsin Illinois and Mizzou
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Well, Illinois is about as "different" as you can get!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Indiana itself is different. Although known for farming (and basketball) it has long been one of the top 8 or so manufacturing states, probably #1 on a per capita or as share of the econonmy basis (Iowa was around 23). It also has long been heavily unionized with such a large number of auto-related companies involved over the years. Those two things make it a rather interesting test case for RtW.
--
People thought cybersex was a safe alternative,
until patients started presenting with sexually
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Well, yeah, now that I think on it...
Let's let the experiment run for twenty years and see what happens.
As for the effect on state employee unions, not much. There are a bit less than 29,000 people employed by the state of Indiana. The unions collect dues from only 1,490 of those (down from 16,408 in 2005).
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703806304576232780047736062.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Way back when I used to be an ardent unionizing supporter. However, since moving to the US in 1969, I have seen (albeit from afar) much that is wrong in both the union movement (featherbedding is a good heading for some of the wrong things) as well in management, both public and private. For instance, I find it just plain wrong when a pension is based on total earnings, including overtime (for the last X years), and when union work rules make overtime a privilege for the senior worker, with the right of refusal. This leads to artificially increased pensions, and "old" workers teetering on their feet from sleep deprivation. On the other hand, when a lowly paid cashier or other hardworking lady is pregnant, she may run into one or another of the complications of pregnancy that prevent her from doing her job completely (frequent need for bathroom breaks is one of these). She can then just be fired because the pregnancy (the reason for the problem) is not a "disability", and therefore her inability to do the work "properly" is reason for firing.
There needs to be more reasonable negotiation between workers and management so ALL will be ahead. Apparently, that can be done in Germany, where the mighty unions have acquired seats on boards of directors and negotiated rules and wages to advance all. (Don't ask me for details now, please!).
In short, there is too much intransigence and adversary strategy/tactics in American worker-management relations.
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Careful, that comes awfully close to making sense.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I apologize ...
<grin>.
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It will take more than a year to reverse the long term damage that has been done by RTW.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
BobR wrote:

What damage?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The damage done to the states, like Michigan, by companies moving to RtW states instead of putting up with the union nonsense.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Oh... I didn't think of that.
Good answer.
Thanks.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 2/1/12 4:33 PM, Hell Toupee wrote:

You might want to look at this: http://tinyurl.com/7lfjll4 It's Carpe Diem, written by Mark J. Perry.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

so,you're AGAINST people having the CHOICE to be in a union or not?
Right-to-work does not mean unions are banned. It just means that workers cannot be FORCED to join a union,or forced to pay for union representation they don't want or need.
if people think the unions are good for them,they will join. Apparently,most people believe that unions will NOT be good for them,since they are not joining unions unless forced to join. Except for government unions,union membership has dropped drastically.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.