(OT) Increased Speed Limits on Highways

Page 5 of 6
On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 02:11:49 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"

You should check out "Mad Dog 20/20".

In the UK you need a second mortgage to buy alcohol.
--
Hockey is a sport for white men.
Basketball is a sport for black men.
On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 10:51:02 AM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

That certainly would apply to someone like you who has stated:
"There are two things I require - alcohol and flavour."
When it gets to the point of *requiring* alcohol, all bets are off. A lot of resources are spent on that one single purpose, so a second mortgage is often the result.
On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 15:50:57 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"

What are the laws about making your own? In the US you can make fermented beverages (beer, wine etc) for personal use freely. They only get silly when you want to distill spirits. The reality is they will ignore personal use stills too unless there is some kind of complaint. You can make a pretty good still out of a big pressure cooker. Attach the condenser pipe to the threaded exit for the pop off valve or pressure bobbler. A better still uses a secondary vessel in the condenser plumbing (AKA the thumper). It effectively distills the mash twice in one pass using the steam as the heat for the thumper. Your output is much purer that way for a slightly higher energy input.

We can brew but we can only distil if we apply for a permit (which I think is just a piece of paper and you sign to say you won't sell it). In reality, who's going to know what you do in your own home?
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Less actually, and milk is sold in both. Asda and Morrisons sell in pints, and Aldi in litres.
--
I met this gal in a bar and one thing lead to another. I said, "Let's go back to my place."
She said, "Oh, do you have cable?"

500 milliliters, now there's a drink for a man. True, when I read European recipes and they call for half a kilo of meat it doesn't sound right.
Then there was the era when US liquor bottlers went to 750 ml bottles instead of fifths. The price stayed the same and they pocketed the 7 ml.
On 10/08/2016 01:19 PM, rbowman wrote:
[snip]

Oddly, the first thing I thought of here is an early "Peanuts" cartoon where Charlie is yelling "Hey, my pocket leaks!".

In America, there is also now an odd mix of measures. Water and soft drink bottles are sold by the liter, but canned beverages are still (AFAIK) in ounces and milk still in quarts and gallons. Metric length is often used in the world of machinery (especially electronics), but not elsewhere (carpentry, etc).
For everything else, metric is pretty much imprisoned in parentheses. Our speedometers have long had a kph scale in small numerals next to the mph scale. Many years ago, I saw a few speed limit signs with the KPH below the MPH, but those disappeared.
On 10/08/2016 03:19 PM, Neill Massello wrote:

You'll still see them some places in the southwest along the border. Wouldn't want the illegals to get arrested for speeding.
On 10/08/2016 07:14 PM, rbowman wrote:
[snip]

From a comedy news show:
"Today police stopped a speeding car on I-35. We don't know who was driving, a blind man or his dog. It's okay, since both of them had valid driver's licenses."
BTW, I-35 is a north-south interstate entering the US in Laredo Texas, which seems to be one of the major entry points for Mexican trucks.

It depends how much effort your government wants to make. There's a country somewhere in Europe which managed to change the side they drove on overnight, all the signs needed to be swapped round and stuff. But they did it successfully.
--
Paddy and his wife are lying in bed and the neighbours' dog is barking like mad in the garden.
Paddy says "To hell with this!" and storms off.

I remember that. http://realscandinavia.com/this-day-in-history-swedish-traffic-switches-sides-september-3-1967/ Finally, everything was ready. At 4:50 a.m. on September 3, 1967, as crowds of people gathered to watch, all vehicles on the road were instructed to come to a halt. They were then directed to move carefully from the left side of the road to the right, and wait. At the stroke of 5:00, following a radio countdown, an announcement was made — “Sweden now has right-hand driving” — and traffic was allowed to resume. Time Magazine called the event “a brief but monumental traffic jam.”
On 10/08/2016 04:19 PM, Neill Massello wrote:
[snip]

KPH is not entirely metric. The HOUR is not a metric unit. IIRC, the metric unit of time is the second.
BTW, an hour is 3.6 kiloseconds.
--
77 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 10/06/2016 08:14 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Stay out of Montana or you'll be a hood ornament on a F350.

Or Florida We have 60mph on 2 lane blacktops and everyone does 70-75. The interstates is 70 and little old ladies will give you the finger for doing less than 80.
[snip]

It's like that on I20 here. They were already dong 80 before the speed limit went to 75.
I don't find the speed to be as big a problem as the increasing number of big trucks (I20 is a common route for Mexican trucks going east). It's not a good feeling, going 75 and not able to see much because there's multiple trucks on 3 sides.
--
79 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 10/07/2016 05:02 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

When we didn't have a daytime speed limit traffic tended to stabilize around 90.