(OT) Increased Speed Limits on Highways

Page 4 of 6

Too much hassle converting all the road signs, then everybody's speedo would also be wrong.
--
A Woman's Rule of Thumb: If it has tyres or testicles, you're going to have trouble with it.

On 07/10/2016 20:28, Neill Massello wrote:

The sun never sets . . .

The pub owners hang on to "pint" because it sounds like more than a half liter.
On 08/10/2016 15:59, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

On 08/10/2016 16:43, Bod wrote:

Oops!!<brain fart> ignore previous. You were correct.

They always default to the smaller container when it comes to alcohol. A half gallon became 1.75l and a "fifth" became a 750.

Brew your own it saves wasting taxes :-)
--
I met this gal in a bar and one thing lead to another. I said, "Let's go back to my place."
She said, "Oh, do you have cable?"

I have but it is hard to compete with the pros on price, even with the tax. I can buy a 1.75l of mediocre bourbon for $13-14 after tax and you really can't make moonshine for that. I like $25 bourbon and there is no way in hell that I can make that.

Odd, I make vodka for 10 times less than I buy it in the shop. It costs 10 to buy a 750ml (or maybe a litre) bottle in the supermarket. Making your own the main cost is just sugar, which you can mail order in 25kg sacks.
-- The word "gymnasium" comes from the? Ancient Greek "gymnos" (naked) and "zein" (to train). So literally the word "gymnasium" means a "building for naked exercise".

Vodka is relatively easy to make compared to aged whiskey. Most of us don't have the charred oak barrels and 20 years to make a good bourbon.

The good thing about vodka is you add the flavour later, with cheap things like orange juice, which has no silly taxes on it.
-- TESTICULATING Waving your arms around and talking bollocks.
On Sun, 09 Oct 2016 11:31:24 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"

You must have a much more aggressive tax man than we do. I could buy a store brand vodka 1.75l for that kind of money. "Sugar whiskey" is really car fuel anyway. I want something with a little more character. You can knock the sharp edge off of moonshine with activated charcoal like they use in fish tanks but it doesn't do much for the flavor.

How do you fuel your still?

I use a propane burner and running off a gallon of mash probably uses 50c to $1 of propane. You end up with about a pint of "burn in your lighter" moonshine (100+ proof) when it comes out of the thumper. Then if you really want to drink it, put it in a jar of activated charcoal or oak chips that you tickled with a torch until they were black on the outside. Give it at least a year, maybe 2. The activated charcoal will take off most of the edge in a month or so tho if you just want white whisky. It is still never going to be Johnny Walker or a bonded bourbon. Probably the closest to commercial grade would be rum, starting with black strap molasses and running the still a little long. You still probably want the activated charcoal.

I don't use a still. There's yeast that will create alcohol at 23% in a week or two. You just keep the vessel in an ambient temperature of 18-24C.
-- What’s black, white, and red all over and doesn’t fit through a revolving door? A nun with a spear through her head.

Turbo yeast? That sounds like real popskull.

It makes alcohol. Alcohol is alcohol.
--
A backward poet writes inverse.

On Sun, 09 Oct 2016 20:11:38 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"

I suppose but I am shocked that a Scotsman would confuse 20 year old scotch with moonshine.

I am English by blood, with a touch of Swedish, and a logical person. There are two things I require - alcohol and flavour. The flavour is easily added afterwards by mixing things in.
--
When eating a tongue sandwich, how do you know when you've finished?