(OT) Increased Speed Limits on Highways

Page 1 of 6
Recently they increased the speed limit from 55mph to 70 mph on all major highways in a nearby statem where I travel regularly.
At first I thought this was a good idea. I always liked to drive about 60 when traveling between cities, which meant I had to watch the speedometer to avoid exceeding that speed and getting a ticket. Now, I can stay in the right lane, and still drive about 60, and not worry about getting a ticket. Driving at 70 seems too fast to me, but I can do it if I wish.
The problem is that many drivers now do 80, and that's way too fast.
While 70 seems good in between cities, they continue that speed limit INSIDE the cities limits. This is just WRONG!
The speed limits should be reduced to 55 beginning about 5 or 10 miles outside of the city limits.
I was approaching a city, and there are many ramps, and approaches to go around the city, or toward another city, and it was rush hour. I was in the middle of a bunch of semi trucks and cars all going close to 80, and trying to read the signs and react to get into the right lanes in order to get to the proper ramps or splits in the highway. I have never been so panicked in my life. Granted, I live in a rural area, where we dont have the traffic congestion, or fast speeds, and I'm not used to it, but I have been in cities during rush hour many times in the past, and I managed to cope. At 70mph, I was not coping at all, and became so stressed that I just got off at the nearest ramp, and parked the car, to regain my sanity. Then I proceeded to drive thru the city stop and go traffic, even if that means taking an hour longer. There was no way I was getting back on that freeway.
70mph is fine between cities, but should be reduced to 55 when inside the city, and starting outside the city limits.
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 11:18:17 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

It's good that you got off of the freeway. Slow drivers are just as dangerous as fast drivers because you force the other drivers to maneuver around you. Even 60 in a 70 is too slow, especially since it is usually acceptable to exceed the posted limit by at least 5 MPH. That's puts you at 15 MPG slower than most everyone else. That's dangerous, especially if you are in any lane other than the right.
On the highways, I set my cruise control at 9 over the limit and I don't even blink when I see Officer Friendly sitting in the median. If I see a trooper approaching from the rear, I put my signal on and move out of the way, but I don't slow down. It's gotta suck to be a cop and see brakes lights in front of you when you trying to get past people. He's doing 80 in a 65 approaching a vehicle doing 70 - 74 and the other driver slows down just because there's a cop behind him. Trust me, if he wanted to give you a ticket, it's typically too late by the time you see him approaching from the rear.
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

+1
--
Tekkie

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 10:51:34 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If a driver is the far right lane, he is NOT dangerous.
He is a careful driver and probably wants to save gas and reduce pollution.
It is NOT acceptable to exceed the speed limit. (Look up definition of limit)
It is behaviors like yours that spike up the fatality rates.
Andy
On 10/7/2016 5:24 PM, Andy wrote:

There are minimum speeds on some highways because too slow can be a danger. As DD points out, 15 mph slower can cause serious problems as traffic tries to move around it.
On 10/7/2016 6:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had a neighbor who was p.o.'d because the State Patrol ticketed him on the freeway one evening . . . for going 24 mph. His justification: he's old, it was dark, he was just driving safely. No, grandad, that's what the side streets are for.
On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 10:23:43 AM UTC-4, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

There's a winding section of a highway through downtown where the posted limit is 40 MPH. At one point it's 3 lanes, but the right lane is Exit Only, so the center lane is really the right lane. I was towing a trailer and got stuck behind someone doing 35 MPH in that center lane. People were passing us by pulling out of the center lane to pass us on the left (OK) but also pulling out into the right lane and speeding up to pass us before the lane exited. (Read: Dangerous!) Since I had the trailer, I stayed behind the slow poke until we cleared the 40 MPH zone and then passed her on the left.
I'm sure most of the drivers thought I was causing the problem because they couldn't see around my trailer, but it was the slow-poke in front of me. I could have easily done the 40 MPH or even more since that was what the traffic was trying to do. It even *looked* dangerous when I glanced in the rear view mirror and saw cars pulling out of the center lane to the left and to the right.
On 10/07/2016 03:24 PM, Andy wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZzWEbBI1Ro

She ain't revved until the rods are thrown...
I used to like Drive BY Truckers but they went all #blackliesmatter. Fuck them.
On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 10:14:28 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Keep it to yourself. People out in the country have no problem at 80 or more and if you can't keep up, stay on the little roads.

+1
--
Tekkie

I used to drive faster, but on any nearby trip you only save a few minutes by doing 80, so you dont gain much, but get worse gas mileageand hurt worse in a accident........
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 8:27:48 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

What about the fun?
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 8:43:11 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

its past time to make all new vehicles report speeding automatically.
with GPS imbedded in car, te vehicle would monitor its location, and report all speeding events....your state would send you a ticket.
this day is coming soon
On 10/7/2016 8:44 AM, bob haller wrote:

Things like that have been discussed and shot down. Same with taxing electric cars based on miles. Speed cameras have been shot down in most states to Americans don't like that crap.

They would have to find me and make me replace that fuse. ;-)
bob haller posted for all of us...

What does the gov't do correctly now? Name it specifically. What else do you want them to do to you? Tell you what to eat and when? Tell you when to wake up, go bathroom, go to work, how much to pay you, monitor your other activities... Where do they stop Bob? How much you willing to pay? Just send all your money and the gov't will determine how much, if any, to return. I presume you want a nanny state. I don't. I think with the GPS tracking you your visits to the places "on the list" will be limited.
Actually Bob, speeding is not the main cause of accidents. It gets listed as that when a catch-all is needed because a limited amount of time is spent investigating.
--
Tekkie

spoken like a true democrat
Oren wrote:

its not hard to do if you try : )
On 10/07/2016 07:44 AM, bob haller wrote:
[snip]

I'd have the vehicle limit it's speed. There'd be an override button, and use of it would be reported.

--
79 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).