OT Incoming phone service only

Notice I said "old Western Electric" phone. The original touch tone phone WAS polarity sensitive.
http://www.porticus.org/bell/images/we2500mmg.jpg
You can find them pretty cheap on Ebay or in a garage sale. They are bullet proof.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I never thought it hyperbole when they used to say Western Electric telephones and cockroaches were the only things likely to survive a nuclear war.
and name it after the IRS.
On 6/12/2010 11:18 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

I went through this with my father years ago. We took away his phone as he could not differentiate between day and night and called at all hours. Afterwords he used phones in facility and we even started call blocking numbers. Somehow numbers rotated so even blocking 10 numbers did not prevent calls. I wish I knew of this solution but doubt it would have completely stopped the problem.
Metspitzer wrote:

Does it have to be a land line? What about a children's cell phone like Firefly? I don't know much about kids' cell phones, but apparently they have "parental controls" that would allow her kids to restrict outgoing calls to certain numbers, like theirs.
On 6/13/2010 9:33 PM, Lee B wrote:

Many nursing homes will not allow cell phones because of loss and "theft" .... theft being loss by a resident, but telling that it was stolen. There are probably 2 reasons for the no cell phones, bother to the staff and as someone mentioned, their phone is a profit center for them. When my mother was in a nursing home a few years ago, they charged $25 per month for a phone and you provide the phone. And, the $25 is whether the resident used it or not.
I remember back some years ago when they had the old rotary dial phones, that they had some without the dialer. They were used in some office buildings where the public had access, like maybe a waiting room at a doctors office. I'd be pretty sure they still make such a thing in a more modern design. I'd call a store that specializes in phones. You're not going to find this at Walmart or Target. Maybe Radio Shack, if there's no phone specialty store nearby.

Why would you check with the phone company about anything, you are in a health care facility -- you check with the facility administrator or business office to see what THEY allow inside their facility...
As others here have said, you will be an extension on the facilities PBX phone system... Now whether or not you can call directly to that extension from the outside world which is called Direct Inward Dialing or you have to be connected through a receptionist or auto attendant so your call can be filtered based on the hour or so they can keep track of who is calling in and not allow random phone calls through is another issue entirely...
With PBX systems you are sometimes limited by what kind and type of phone you can use at each extension... Many modern PBX systems are entirely digital (even ones that aren't VoIP) and require special telephone sets to be used and you can not use a standard telephone set with them... You have to ask what sort of phone you will need to supply to use with the system and if a telephone is included and provided when you pay the fee...
The advice you were offered about reversing the leads on the phone to disable the keypad would work if you were using 25 year old phones on a telco provided Centrex system -- however the likelihood of a health care facility still using such a system is very small... All new phones have diode bridges in them which can overcome the reverse polarity issue and newer PBX systems are all digital making using a standard phone at the extension location moot...
~~ Evan