OT: Ike

It looks like Ike's center is over 250 mi. away, but he is pushing the water a long way. High tide not due here for a couple of more hours, but the water is at the top of our seawall. No wind to speak of, not a problem, but I continue to be amazed at the power of a storm. I don't ever want to see 10 foot surges and 20 foot waves......why anyone would stay in place with that approaching is beyond me. Stay safe out there :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Norminn, I live near SE Houston,and they are calling for evac. of the coastal towns. I will stay unless it is a category 4 or worse,mainly because getting out of here,sitting in traffic or running out of gas might be worse than some wind and rain. =20 Tim

Reply to
Tim

THIS MORNING Ike is still causing tides two feet higher than normal, along with some flooding, in St. Petersburg. Last news said it is larger than Katrina and would be stronger if not for that size. Still lots of warm, shallow water to pass over. Good luck.

Reply to
Norminn

Tim wrote in news:3c60645a-86f0-4aef-9fd8- snipped-for-privacy@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

That's nice Tim. Enjoy...

Reply to
Red Green

worse,mainly

I really think you need to rethink that Tim. Good luck.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

I'm in Houston. Here's what I've seen so far (4:00 p.m. local time):

  1. Right now, temp 88°, wind 10MPH, overcast. Normal late September weather.
  2. TV reporters are screaming "You're all gonna die!" "Run for your lives!" "Chicken Little was right!"
  3. Geraldo Rivera fell down in the muck on live TV.
  4. Heard a guy on the radio last night said he drove from Houston to Columbus (75 miles west) and averaged 70MPH with no traffic.
  5. Lady on TV at noon said she WAS going to close her liquor store (in Beaumont) early today. TV reporter was aghast and dumbfounded! "But, but, but, you're in a mandatory evacuation zone!" "Yes," said the lady, "but three things: Business is good, many of my neighbors left for Gustav and it cost them a small fortune. They can't afford to keep leaving at the least little thing. Lastly, my husband is a judge and has the night duty this week. Somebody has to be on hand (to deal with the looters?)."

The ONLY thing I'VE seen out of the ordinary was a sign at Walmart that said their pharmacy would be closed today and Saturday.

Really.

Oh, and all the keg parties scheduled for tonight.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, I hope you're all safe, and I don't want to hear any whining about how the government didn't do enough, the emergency services didn't do enough, etc., etc., etc., from anybody that didn't leave. Take care, and at least stay sober, since you have no hope of getting any Alka-Seltzer at Wal-Mart for the hangover.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

My sister lives north of Houston. She just drove to Dallas for the weekend. ========= Smart girl IMO.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

The KHOU Houston Weather Central is on the web. You need a good broadband connection to view. Click on the lower middle window for live video broadcast.

willshak

"Cheri" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com:

beyond some time period,it's best to NOT try to evacuate,as you would not be able to get to good shelter before the hurricane arrived,and could be stuck in your auto in slow moving traffic. Now if you live in a mobile home,you need to get to a public shelter *while they still have room*. ASAP. wood-frame homes may not stand up to a hurricane,either. also,are you in a low-level area? prone to flooding?

consider your pet's needs,too;many shelters are not pet-friendly,and you need it's immunization and registration papers,a proper carrier,and petfood.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

If the weather service had been right about the surge, there would be thousands of dead people in Galveston ..... attic in a hurricane? Not I.

Reply to
Norminn

I've been trying to listen to the news today about Galveston.....right before the storm, one official estimated that about 40% of Galvestonians stayed at home. That would be about

20,000 people stayed?!!?? Last I saw, a couple of thousand people had been rescused from the island since the storm passed. Any word locally about numbers of missing people?

From the piles of debris, it seems many, many homes were totally destroyed.

Reply to
Norminn

Stories you won't hear on the news:

  1. One FEMA loon suggested people write their Social Security number on their arm with a black marker. Heck, why doesn't the government mandate SS numbers be tattooed?
  2. Very much of FEMA stuff was staged in San Antonio (200 miles away). What with debris on the roads, high water, and FEMA drivers not being able to tell north from a crate of anvils, the stuff takes from 5 hours to five days to get here.
  3. FEMA opened a shelter in - wait for it now - LAREDO. 350 miles to the soutwest! Check your map. If the shelter were any farther away, it would be in Mexico.
  4. It's gonna get bad, if not today, then tomorrow. Banks are closed. ATMs are closed. Markets, gas stations, roller-rinks, everything is shut down. No mail delivery. Food is spoiled. No cold beer. There's a 9-6 curfew in effect for 4 million people. We can't even buy a Lotto ticket!

At least one mini-riot has been reported and some evacuees have begun shooting each other (at least they had the foresight to pack their weapons).

  1. We can expect a baby-boom next Juneteenth.
Reply to
HeyBub

Where would you have them stage it? Put in town and it gets blown away with everything else. Also, those things are staged centrally because they don't really know ahead of time exactly where the hurricane will go, so they have to have it ready to move anywhere in the cone the Hurricane Center tells them to go. Also, since at least the late 70s all disaster plans assume that the locals are on their own for 3 days until the advanced help arrives. Anything less than that is gravy.

See above.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

FEMA is saving me money - write yer SS number on your arm so that, if you dumb ass is recovered, nobody has to do DNA tests on the carcass to relieve the family's worry.

When you were in the Army, did you store your ammo on the bombing range, or someplace away from the target.

What city is closer and capable for feeding, housing and caring for ..... 50,000 homeless?

New Flash! The banks just went under, too. Got cash in your pocket for that Lotto ticket, and enough for food left over? I put my cash under the concrete paver in the yard. Don't remember which one, but I'll find it.

Gotta love the NRA gang.......and God love Sarah Palin. I just don't understand why she fakes a Minnesota accent. Or did she acquire that during the convention? Now I feel safe. A cop I once knew said bad guys were deathly afraid of female police officers, because they knew they would shoot. The riot I saw on TV was folks in Florida po'd about the price of gas. Immediate gratification is all I want. Now! :o)

Not at my house.

Reply to
Norminn