OT: "If Fred Got Two Beatings Per Day..."

Page 1 of 3
A fine (if not hilarious) example of your excellent US educational system at work.
Roach said the teachers were attempting to incorporate social studies into math problems.
If that's the case, then this would have been a more socially-acceptible question:
"If Fredrick can steal 100 feet of copper wire per day, how many feet will Fredrick have in one week?"
---------------------------------
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/if-fred-got-two-beatings-per-day-homework-asks /
Third graders in in Gwinnett County, Ga., were given math homework Wednesday that asked questions about slavery and beatings. Christopher Braxton told ABC News affiliate WSB-TV in Atlanta that he couldnt believe the assignment his 8-year-old son brought home from of Beaver Ridge Elementary school in Norcross.
It kind of blew me away, Braxton said. Do you see what I see? Do you really see what I see? Hes not answering this question.
The question read,
"Each tree had 56 oranges. If eight slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?"
http://abcnews.go.com/images/US/abc_120107_abc_homework2_jt_120107_wblog.jpg
Another math problem read,
"If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in one week?"
Another question asked how many baskets of cotton Frederick filled. I was furious at that point, Braxton said.
This outrages me because it just lets me know that theres still racists, said Stephanie Jones, whose child is a student at the school.
Something like that shouldnt be imbedded into a kid of the third, fourth, fifth, any grade, parent Terrance Barnett told WSB-TV. Im having to explain to my 8-year-old why slavery or slaves or beatings are in a math problem. That hurts.
In this one, the teachers were trying to do a cross-curricular activity, Gwinnett County school district spokeswoman Sloan Roach said.
Roach said the teachers were attempting to incorporate social studies into math problems. We understand that there are concerns about these questions, and we agree that these questions were not appropriate, she said.
On 1/8/2012 6:25 PM, Home Guy wrote:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/if-fred-got-two-beatings-per-day-homework-asks /
I should be upset because some of my distant Irish and Scottish ancestors were the first "slaves" in America. ^_^
TDD
Home Guy wrote:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/if-fred-got-two-beatings-per-day-homework-asks /
Cross-discipline doesn't usually work. Example from a 5th grade math book:
A red star is 5000, a white star is 7000, a blue star is 6000. Johnny and his father step into the backyard at night. Johnny sees a red star and a blue star. His father sees three white stars. What is the total temperature of the stars Johnny and his father saw?
When Richard Feynman saw this in a math book he was evaluating, he went nova.
On 1/9/2012 2:48 AM, HeyBub wrote:

yes, a more appropriate question would have been; "under which star is it most appropriate for slaves to pick cotton whilst being beat?"
--
Steve Barker
On Jan 9, 8:46am, "Stormin Mormon"

In my distant memory I think there was something clever or amusing you once said...but it eludes me.
Save 15% or more with Geico.
In my distant memory I think there was something clever or amusing you once said...but it eludes me.
On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 08:28:07 -0800, Steve Barker
Day...":

Star of David??

Caesar, don't you feel better now? You think like the mormon...that doesn't have a clue!
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Amazing. Mormons think they are Jewish and want all Jews to become Mormons!
On 1/10/2012 8:28 AM, HeyBub wrote:

and the best part is that they are both wrong. LMAO!
--
Steve Barker
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Joseph Smith was fascinated by Judiasm, so much so he learned to read Hebrew. He sent one of his saints to Israel to bless the Mount of Olives and his respect and love for the people Israel permeated his practices. Some even believe he had Jewish ancestors. And of course there is the controversy of baptising 6 million Holocaust victims, by proxy, into the Mormon fold.
As for you not being Jewish, well, we can't ALL be lucky.
What's not to be lucky? Oy!
Joseph Smith was fascinated by Judiasm, so much so he learned to read Hebrew. He sent one of his saints to Israel to bless the Mount of Olives and his respect and love for the people Israel permeated his practices. Some even believe he had Jewish ancestors. And of course there is the controversy of baptising 6 million Holocaust victims, by proxy, into the Mormon fold.
As for you not being Jewish, well, we can't ALL be lucky.
Salvation is for anyone who desires it, and can find it, and accepts it.

Save the Methodist? The early Puritans? Oh, I have to mention the Baptists.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Interesting. There are many punishments for "original sin." Women must bear pain in childbirth, man must earn his daily bread by the sweat of his brow, and more. Yet the one punishment that is NOT mentioned, damnation to Hell, can be forgiven by those who believe.
As I said, interesting.
Who didn't mention damnation? LDS folks don't give it a lot of press like other Chrsistian denominations. But, it's taught.
Did you mean "forgiven FOR those who believe". Not BY? Jesus and God are the ones who forgive.
Interesting. There are many punishments for "original sin." Women must bear pain in childbirth, man must earn his daily bread by the sweat of his brow, and more. Yet the one punishment that is NOT mentioned, damnation to Hell, can be forgiven by those who believe.
As I said, interesting.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Thanks for the correction.
As for being "forgiven," you're the one who brought it up:
"Salvation is for anyone who desires it, and can find it, and accepts it."
Hey, it's an easy slio of the fingers, and easy to due.
Now, we need to discuss what is salvation. I've stored on disk a post which discusses six def'n of the word "saved". Means different things to different people. Amazing, that we can communicate at all, when words mean such different things. You've likely seen the email that makes the rounds, how the English and American military can't communicate. Like on aircraft carrier, if an American plane is down, it's broken. English plane is down, it's under deck, in storage.

Thanks for the correction.
As for being "forgiven," you're the one who brought it up:
"Salvation is for anyone who desires it, and can find it, and accepts it."
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I agree. Consider the word "prophet." In the Jewish world, a prophet (sometimes spelled "profit") is one who predicts what might happen. Further, all prophecy is conditional - it may or may not happen. The prime example of this is when a whale burped up a bleached Johnah who prophesied "Repent, or in forty days... I don't even want to think about it!" The people of Nineveh straightened up and everybody lived happily ever after.
In the Christian tradition, a prophet is a soothsayer, one who asserts that a future event will take place and all your king's horses and all your king's men can't do anything about it!
I'd have to do some research, but I'm fairly sure at leat a couple of the Christian prophets have given the "repent or suffer" command. I've got a fuzzy memory of the Utah saints having dry weather. The prophet revealed if they paid an honest tithing, the Lord would bring rain.
That kind of thing. Has to be at least one or two others I can't remember off hand.
I agree. Consider the word "prophet." In the Jewish world, a prophet (sometimes spelled "profit") is one who predicts what might happen. Further, all prophecy is conditional - it may or may not happen. The prime example of this is when a whale burped up a bleached Johnah who prophesied "Repent, or in forty days... I don't even want to think about it!" The people of Nineveh straightened up and everybody lived happily ever after.
In the Christian tradition, a prophet is a soothsayer, one who asserts that a future event will take place and all your king's horses and all your king's men can't do anything about it!
On 1/11/2012 9:46 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

there was the oral roberts fiasco. Send your dollars to me, or God will call me home. and the robots sent the money. What better proof would there have been , than if he would have died?
--
Steve Barker