OT Idiot lights-out drivers

Page 9 of 16
On 2/15/2016 2:43 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I didn't say anything about old people. I said that as you get older, the less light your eyes can absorb.

I figured as much once I figured out what it was.

And what if all they want to do is run around? Maybe they like driving and have all the time in the world to do it <g>

Not all roads are "devided coachways" like your motorways. There are millions of miles of "2 lane blacktop" in the world - and a whole lot of them are in North America (also lots of it in Europe and Africa - as well as the rest of the world) Without seeing approaching cars, pulling out to pass can be a very deadly move.

Most definitely 2 vehicles meeting at 50kph. The same as 100kph into a solid brick wall.
But that is NOT the issue. It is the amount of time you have to react. You are just as dead when you hit at 100 as you are at 190. The secret is in NOT being dead.. Closing speed is not as important as closing TIME.

And it is still going to happen in twice the time as if he was aproaching you.
On 02/13/2016 01:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

More likely around here he's a senile old fart doing 40 kph while I'm doing 125 kph so I'm closing at 85 kph.

I get those round here. I check for grey hair. If grey, overtake. If not, hoot, flash, tailgate, gesture.
--
Is a booby trap only dangerous for women?

I'll have to check on that too!
On 2/12/2016 11:30 AM, philo wrote:

The daylight running lights on my truck will turn off when the emergency brake is set. If I want to turn them off I just push the emergency brake pedal just far enough to turn off the lights but not enough to engage the brakes.

Yeah, I finally found out how to run the engine with the lights off, as you say, in case I want to surveil my girlfriend on a cold night,
But what if I want to turn the lights on when the car is not running? A 2000 Toyota. I still don't know how to do that?

Use normal headlights like people did before all this bullshit.
--
The best way to insulate your home is with a big pile of fridge-foam aerosol cans:
Just fill the entire house with foam and tunnel to the bits you need to get to, pack rat style.

I already own the car and I own the headlights that are in it. There is no room for a second set of headlights. So that won't work.

My newsreader says that isn't a word, sounds cool though.

Won't she hear the engine?

Huh? All cars have headlights. Operate the headlight switch. The headlights come on. Nothing to do with the car being running or not.
--
A hard-on doesn't count as personal growth.

I'm not surprised. It's new-speak, from cop shows. I woudln't normally use it but I was playing a role.

She's inside and I'm across the street and two houses down. It's a quiet engine also.
But I've actually never done this.
I offered to go over to my ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend's house and see if his car was there or not, after she had asked if I would. But then she changed her mind.
And I did go to my dentist's home one night, after no one called me back after I called his emergency number and the 3 office numbers, one of which, based on the answering machine, seemed like it was his home number instead. Unfortunately, he had a long not-straight driveway and trees and I couldn't see if his car was there or not.
He called me the next morning, Saturday, at 11, but he called on my cell, after I gave him that number only for Friday morning, and he left a message that he was out of town and would call me when he got back in a few hours. (Maybe he was in DC which is only an hour away). But then he never called and never answered my email. He made two other big mistakes in treatment that month too, the exact same mistake twice. What a jerk.
Eventually I'm going to go to his office to get him to talk to me. If he's embarrassed in front of his other patients, that would be fine.

I don't think they do.

The switch is on all the time, and the lights go on when the engine goes on. The photocell on the dash determines which lights go on. But maybe if I turn the switch off and back on again, the lights really will go on even if the engine's not running. I'll try it. I had this all settled two or three years ago, but then I forgot how it works. This plan doens't ring a bell, but maybe.

Yes, I first heard it on an American cop show. I didn't realise they'd made it up, I thought it was just too rare for me to have heard it before.

So you say....

Why does she want her ex to spy on her new one?

Doesn't your dental practice have more than one dentist? If I have a toothache and my regular dentist is away, I can use another one.

Are you saying your car won't allow headlights if the engine is off, or it won't allow them if it's light? Both could be bypassed with a simple rewire.
--
They say that when a man holds a woman's hand before marriage, it is
love; after marriage it is self-defense.

I think it's called a back formation, from an earlier word. It may be standard some day. Quite a few of words we use all the time started that way. Especially when no other simple word means the same thing. It's from surveillance of course, and I think whatever French verb that noun comes from is "survey" in English, but to say "I surveyed my girlfriend" would give entirely the wrong impression.

;-)

We've been friends for 20 years now, since we broke up. This guy came years later. She thought he was out with someone else.

I know he read the email btw. He seemed to open it 3 times over 4 or 5 days.

He would only have to have an arrangement with another dentist or two. It wouldn't even have to be someone in the same practice**. And I assumed he did. I assumed that any decent dentist has that*** and later I saw t hat he had an emergency number on his webpage. But the number was, I guess, his number, not some service that would find the dentist on call.
**For example my brother is a radiologist, and even though it was known when he started that he would take vacations, iiuc when he went out of town, it was his responsibility to arrange with another radiologist to work for him. Fortunately there was one who didn't work full time because she had a young child, and she would work two weeks for him or two days, as she did sometimes for other radiologists in town. But not 50 weeks a year.
***which implies he's not a decent dentist, and he's not.

Only that I don't know how to do it.

Survey is more to find out about what something is (land heights etc for a map), surveil is more what something (or someone) is doing. Surveying your girlfriend would be determining the size of her breasts.

When will people grow out of monogamy?

How do you know he read the email? Not those read receipt things? I used to forward all my work email to another address so I could read them both together. The forwarding process returned a certificate saying I'd deleted it without opening it. Some people got upset, then surprised I'd done what they'd asked me to in the email I had "deleted".

But if I have a toothache, I don't phone my dentist, she's busy doing dental work. I phone the practice receptionist, who book me in with her, or someone else if she has no available time soon enough for me.

People should employ receptionists and not take calls themselves.

If it's when the engine is off, go in the fusebox and change the incoming wore to the headlight fuse from IGN to BATT.
If it's when it's daylight, I don't know why you need that, but just cover the light sensor up, then you can use them as if it weren't automatic.
--
On going to war over religion:
You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend. -- Richard Jeni

LOL. Not return receipt. There's some service that would email me when he opened his email, but it was free only for 30 days and expensive after that, given that this is the first time in 20 years I wanted to use it.

I''ve never had an emergency during office hours. Medical or dental, they are always Friday night.

He does have a receptionist during office hours.

Change the wire to the fuse? Do you know how much effort that is? Of if you mean run a wire from the hot end of one fuse to the cold end of the other fuse, that's a lot of effort too. I'm looking for a way to turn the lights on when the engine is off, just like all cars worked until 1995. Not a whole project.

To see how well the lights are working, to see if changing a bulb really fixed it, etc.

There are two sensors and I've forgotten which is which. I suspect if your method, turning the switch off and on, works, it will work day and night.

So how did you know?

I don't think I have a 24 hour number. FFS just take a painkiller and phone them in the morning! It's toothache not a heart attack.

My vet has a 24/7 number, a pet could be in danger of dying. You don't die of toothache.

Virtually none. Takes about as long as changing a wheel.

No, just change the hot end of the fuse to the other input. There's 2 inputs to a fusebox, one is only on with the ignition, the other comes straight from the battery. There will be unused fuse containers, use one of those if it's easier.

AFAIK all Vauxhalls do that anyway. Bloody annoying as you can more easily run the battery flat. Plus when I park the car for two minutes and don't turn the lights off, I've got a parked car dazzling people unnecessarily. I already removed the bleeping thing in anger that warns me I dared to open the door and left the lights on.

Just turn on the ignition?

If I ever got a car that decided itself when it was dark, I'd disable it immediately, or at least adjust it to when I think it's dark.
--
A woman walks into a drugstore and asks the pharmacist if he sells size extra large condoms.
He replies, "Yes we do. Would you like to buy some?"

They sent me an email.

I've never had a toothache, and until this past year, I'd never had any other dental emergency, but if something happens on Friday evening, I'm not going to wait until Monday.
That's what 24 hour dentists are for.
When I lived in NY, on a Sunday afternoon, I went with my girlfriend to the apt. of a friend of hers, and his girlfriend had had a toothache since Friday or Saturday, getting worse and worse. She couldn't eat, could barely talk. I said, Why don't you go to the dentist! They said, Monday. I said, Why don't you go now? It's Sunday. I said, That's what 24 hour dentists are for.
So NYC has over 2 million people, not counting the other boros (and why count them?) and in the yellow pages were about 20 24-hour dentists. One of us called them one by one and learned that the first seven didnt' do that anymore. Because they only do that until they get enough patients to keep busy. No one wants to be bothered on weekends or the middle of the night. But the 8th guy said come on over. It took less than 30 minutes for her and her boyfriend to get there, less than 30 minutes for the dentist to fix her. and she was back in less than 90 minutes. And he didnt' charge any more than her regular dentist would have charged, or maybe 10% more.

Most dentists have emergency numbers. This one did too. It's just that HE was the only dentist reachable at the emergency number and he wasnt' always reachable.

If you really think that is the right answer, why did you just spend several lines explaining your much too difficult way to turn the lights on without the engine.

I like it. And while I've thought about making the intermittent wiper wipe less often, I've been fully satisfied with the light sensor.

Never heard of it. I use paracetamol and ibuprofen. Removes any pain for at least a few hours.

Yes, but a few days isn't long for a bad tooth.

Never used an antibiotic for teeth. I use painkillers until get to the dentist, who drills away the bad bit and puts in a filling.

Then be more careful with your mouth! Surely you're capable of not rubbing a certain part on another certain part?

It's hardly suffering. Toothache doesn't appear just like that, it's gradual. It won't get really bad over a weekend.

NYC is better than everyone else? Got a big ego?

I've never moaned about more than 2 things with one car.

My "random" sig generator seems to pay a lot of attention to the discussion in hand.
--
Say it with flowers - send her a triffid.

If the sepsis gets into the bload you could be dead in 12 hours.

You want to bet on that???

On 02/14/2016 08:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

This post needs to be trimmed.