OT Idiot lights-out drivers

Page 8 of 16

No "being " ignorant is being a prick Being a prick IS irrelevant. Not knowing how the lighting system of a vehicle works - and that DRLs usually don't turn on the tail-lights, for a law enforcement officer, is NOT irrelevant.

Damned sure I'm glad there is an entire ocean between where you drive and where I drive, is all I can say about that.
Here that car would be pulled off the road and it would cost you a hefty towing bill to get tit to a garage to have it repaired AND you would be charged with operating an unsafe vehicle on a public road, AND in Ontario you would be getting close to having your vehicle immediately impounded and your licence suspended for a minimum of 7 days, with that suspension being held against your record for 3 years. Just about 5mph short. Exceding the speed limit by 50kph (roughly 30mph) will get you that charge - with an associated fine of between $2000 and $1000 and a possibility of 6 months in jail upon summary conviction. The suspension may also be extended to up to 2 years, and good luck getting anything resembling affordable auto insurance for the next 3 to 5 years minimum. Oh - and you pay the towing and impound fees too - which can be quite sizeable...
On 14/02/2016 04:45, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Bear in mind that Mr Macaw lives in Scotland. His behaviour on the road here in England would not be tolerated by our police. The car would have been removed from the road and he'd be in big trouble. Mr Macaw doesn't respect laws and is a law unto himself.
--
Bod

I've driven in England plenty times, and Wales where the pigs are ridiculously strict. They're no harder on me than Scottish police. In fact I usually have a good laugh with the Welsh police about their accent. Everybody (including yourself, you've admitted it many times on newsgroups) drive well over the speed limit.
--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline Luggage. -- Mark Russell

:

n't turn

driving

hey are

when it

p that

latively

re going to be on all the time, then so should the back ones, that's how Volvos always worked.

rse offence than having defective ones, as you could say you didn't realise they were defective.

nforcement officers were being ignorant, which is irrelevant.

norant of that particular piece of knowledge.

DRLs not turning on the tail lights is a fault of the car design. Lights on or lights off, make up your mind.

s. The net result is the same, no lights. And in fact it should be MORE serious, and in the UK it is. If I forget to wear a seatbelt, or forget to stay under the speed limit, I get a fine. If I have a bald tyre or a faulty bulb because I haven't checked it recently, I have to get it fixed within 2 weeks, but no fine.

ut

fe

on

g 95mph in a 70mph limit, driving with half my exhaust missing, one bald tyre, one soft tyre, one tyre with a split in the side, and a non-functional handbrake. I got a "pink slip" to get the defects fixed in 2 weeks then stamped by a mechanic, and they forgot the speeding offence.

What problem do you think my car was causing? I was on a straight clear motorway and making a bit more noise than the other cars. Big deal.
-- An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain.
<stuff snipped>

headlights with no tail lights did not mean the tail lights were

I'm guessing that's at least part of why DRL's never gained wide acceptance - they gave the cops probable cause to pull someone over and then find a REAL reason to eff with them. Seems dippy to cut the rear lights when the purpose of DRL's is to make a car more visible.
--
Bobby G.

Rear lights are more important, they're the cars on the same side of the road as you.
--
A juggler, driving to his next performance, is stopped by the police. "What are these matches and lighter fluid doing in your car?" asks the cop.
"I'm a juggler and I juggle flaming torches in my act."

You don't have lights on your speedo and other guages either, dummy.
On 02/12/2016 08:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Wrong at least for my Toyota. The instrument display is always illuminated.
rbowman wrote:

Night time it just dims. Mirrors do the same. Gauge cluster illuminates when ign. is on, goes dark when ign. is off.

That would be because I can see them without lights all over them, just like I can see other cars without lights all over them.
Again, why do you want the front of cars lit up but not the back?
--
How do shepherds practice safe sex?
They paint an X on the back of the ones that kick!

Pretty obvious to anyone who actually drives. The front of the car is comming towards you at the combined speed of the car approaching and your car. He's doing 100kph and you are doing 90, the closing speed is 190kph.,
From the rear, you are approaching at the difference between his speed and yours. If he's doing 100 and you are doing 90 you will never meet. If you are doing 100 and he is doing 90, you are approaching at 10kph.

On the other side of the road, it's far easier to hit the back of another car than one going the other way on the wrong side.

Oh no, you don't actually believe that do you? Answer this simple question:
Situation 1: You drive at 50mph into a brick wall. Situation 2: You drive at 50mph into another identical car going at 50mph the other way.
Which causes more damage to your car and you?

The problem arises when he stops and you don't.
--
Watching his date from the corner of his eye while he poured her a drink, the young bachelor said, "Say when."
She replied, "Right after that drink."
On 2/13/2016 3:49 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

WTF does that have to do with closing speed? He never said anything about damage, but closing speed has a lot to do with time to evade an accident. I thought you were smarter than that Harry.

I think "harry" Macaw is taking the crazy position he is taking figuring he can out- mart or out argue or whatever a "woman".....
And closing speed, past a certain very limited point, and damage, become pretty well irrelevant as dead is dead - and totally destroyed is totally destroyed.
The best way to survive a collision is to avoid it. The best way to avoid it is to see and be seen. The BE SEEN is the part very effectively affected by "daylighting". As a rallye driver in the past, "daylighting" was one of the safety precautions we ALL took - long before DRLs became mandatory, or even common.

Nobody can out-mart a woman. Women are brilliant at shopping.

So why did you bring up the fact that cars coming the other way have more closing speed if you think it's irrelevant?

To be seen you do NOT require as much light as to see. Bright lights to illuminate your surroundings, dim lights to mark the position of your vehicle for others to notice you. A bright light means they can no longer see your vehicle, just lights, this makes it harder to judge your speed, width, and distance. And no lights are necessary if the surrounding daylight is reasonable - if your eyes cannot pick up an object using the light reflected off it, you should seek immediate help from an optician.
--
If you eat a judge's uniform you might contract a lawsuit.

On 2/15/2016 1:09 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

That makes a lot of sense.
--
Maggie

On 2/15/2016 1:09 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

One of the problems with all that talk about lights is that the older you get, the less light your eyes absorb.

What is the average age of the driving population?
And do you think OAPs drive as much as working people?
--
A child is for life, not just for benefits.

On 2/15/2016 2:23 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Well, according to the link, the largest demographic of drivers is persons 45-49, with virtually equal numbers of male and female drivers.
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinformation/pubs/hf/pl11028/chapter4.cfm
OAP = Old Age Pensioner? Never heard that one before. I have no idea who drives more. Non workers have more time to run around though, I would think.

So not people with shit eyesight then.

It's a common acronym in the UK.

Yes but they only run around when they want to, workers have to drive twice a day.
--
Pilot to tower, pilot to tower, I am 300 miles from land, 600 feet over water, and running out of fuel, please instruct!
Tower to pilot, tower to pilot, repeat after me: "Our Father, which art in heaven....."