OT Idiot lights-out drivers

You are one of the more rational. Back when DRLs were first proposed you wouldn't believe how many people south of the border ranted and raved about government intervention and forcing them to burn more gas!!!!

Reply to
clare

You should be looking at the road. I virtually never check my instrumen= t panel. It's a car not a bloody aircraft.

You'd think so, but about 50% of cars with DRL have them as bright or br= ighter than dipped beam, hence it IS enough to see by.

-- =

The skeleton found in the car park has been confirmed to be that of Rich= ard III, but one question remains unanswered: Who did I pay =A320,000 on Ebay for?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

If anything the headlights on our Taurus come on earlier than required, rather than later.

Reply to
clare

Mass production, robotics, etc, etc we should be working less!

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Ignore it and it ends up being a 50,000 lb peterbuilt with a blown headlight???

Reply to
clare

That's so it doesn't inform you you're low on gas until you've driven out of your drive, then you have to go back in to get your wallet. It's doing it to annoy you.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Long before DRLs were required here in Canada many trucking companies made it MANDATORY that their drivers drove with full headlights 24 hours of the day. Get caught with no headlights and you were penalized. Three times and you were GONE.

Reply to
clare

Look up "crying wolf". The more things lit up, the less you will notice the few things that used to be lit up like motorbikes. Motorbikes are no longer standing out from cars.

If you can't see a car without a light on it, please surrender your license immediately.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

No, the stupidity of the car manufacturer. If the front lights are going to be on all the time, then so should the back ones, that's how Volvos always worked.

Anyway, not putting on your taillights is just as bad if not a worse offence than having defective ones, as you could say you didn't realise they were defective.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

He said "if it's dusk or full dark", so he was including a time of day when it's too early to need lights, and he'd just have the DRLs on.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I always switch off the engine in a manual when I get out even for a few seconds. It's easier than making sure it's in nuetral and the handbrake is on. It's second nature to slip it into gear, switch off the engine, and apply the handbrake, I do it without having to think about it. If I try to do what you do, I end up leaving it in gear and it lurches forwards, or it's on a hill and the handbrake won't hold it by itself.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Yes, I first heard it on an American cop show. I didn't realise they'd made it up, I thought it was just too rare for me to have heard it before.

So you say....

Why does she want her ex to spy on her new one?

Doesn't your dental practice have more than one dentist? If I have a toothache and my regular dentist is away, I can use another one.

Are you saying your car won't allow headlights if the engine is off, or it won't allow them if it's light? Both could be bypassed with a simple rewire.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

What is the "no" in reply to??

Pretty obvious so far.

When I said electronic I meant the electronic flasher unit that takes the place of the bimetalic thermal flasher.

And that is a simple extra line of code in integrated systems (like CanBus) where the lights are controlled directly by the BCM.

Note I was talking "flasher units"

Not necessarily - it can use "either" a flasher unit "or" an intelligent interface "or" both.

Reply to
clare

Per Mr Macaw:

Seems like the Europeans are working less.

But in the USA the fruits of increased productivity have gone to the owners and upper management, not the workers.

I think one diff is unions. Europe seems to be heavily unionized and the USA does not. ` Had an interesting situation a bunch of years ago: the #2 daughter and my nephew both worked at basically the same jobs as travel agents.

The daughter in Philadelphia PA (USA) and the nephew somewhere in Germany.

The daughter got paid for 40 hours but had to work whatever it took to cover the calls. Busy at noon? You might get a few bites of lunch down, you might not. If they worked through dinner into the night, the employer didn't even send in sandwiches... they just went hungry.

And, of course, no vacation time, no retirement plan, no medical coverage... no nothing....

Nephew's job was union. 40 hours pay for 40 hours work.... paid overtime if he chose to accept it. Six (6!) weeks vacation, retirement plan, full medical coverage.... You get the drift...

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

In the UK, only jobs paid by the government are like your German example. Private companies are the same as the USA.

The thing is, we shouldn't be doing 40 hours of work. Machines are doing way more than they used to, we should be working a fraction as much as we used to. What went wrong?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

That it's not just an extra line of code. The bimetal strip's elegance is that it gave you these characteristics "for free". An alternative implementation has to include them as "line items" in its design specification. E.g., I can make an electronic flasher that does NOT sense load characteristics (and convey this to the ECU) a lot easier than I can make one that *does* -- both in terms of the hardware AND software required.

Yes. I'm not caring whether the electronic flasher is a freestanding entity (with or without its own processor) *or* integrated in the normal functions of the ECU.

No, it isn't.

if (the_load_doesn't_appear_to_be_correct) then somehow_convey_this_to_the_driver

Where do you *get* the information *from*?

How do you convey it to the driver?

Remember, you've already used up your "one line of code" -- it's written here, above!

The flasher unit still has to take extra design steps to *sense* the change in load current from "nominal"; then, report this (e.g., via CAN bus).

Remember, your budget is *one* line of code. You can't cheat and hide

50 lines of code in a flasher unit! :>

Are you claiming that the indications on the dash are NOT processed by the ECU? "Hardwired" turn signal indicators like in days of old?

Moving to an electronic implementation (esp one that involves a computer) ALWAYS is more complex! The advantage, however, is that one can do other (extra) things that are impractical, otherwise.

Imagine how you'd SPEAK a bulb failure warning message to the driver if you were using a bimetal flasher.

Or, how you'd disable the vehicle in that event (if this was considered essential safety equipment).

Etc.

Reply to
Don Y

Ha! Or, "we interrupt this call to tell you that you're about to *ss-end the vehicle in front of you. Please hang up so we can autodial your insurance carrier..."

[Actually, I suspect there will be pressure for phones to report the "their" speed of travel whenever they "notice" a sudden, instantaneous change (decrease) in speed! Perhaps not legislated but, rather, insurance company incentives. Given how integrated telecoms are becoming with new cars, it wouldn't be hard for the car to "tattle" on the driver. IIRC, our owner's manual essentially says this -- though in an obtuse way.]
Reply to
Don Y

The purpose of the DRL is to help see the car coming at you. If it is going away from you it won't hit you. If foggy, lights should be turned on anyway. 1

In the very bright sun I saw a a set of lights coming in my direction. They were in the shade of a tree. The contrast made the car invisible, same with the ca in front of it. It had no lights and could not be seen until it was much closer.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How about coded beeps from the horn to warn drivers & pedestrians close by who are NOT texting. I would not recommend this simply for applying the brakes, and probably the beeps should be a bit muted. But it could give a heads-up to those close at hand when:

1) The ABS is active. Usually, this means that the driver has allowed his speed to exceed the safe limit to bring the car to stop without activating the ABS. Possibly the car cannot stop to avoid hitting a pedestrian, and the driver will not have time to think about sounding the horn. 2) Automatic redar-controlled braking is was actived. Usually, this means that either the driver or a nearby pedestrian has erred in judgement. 3) The lane-keeping alarm was sounded within the car. Possibly the driver is impaired by fatigue, texting, or intoxicants. Warn everyone nearby.
Reply to
Mike Duffy

Europe definitely has better benefits. What was the wage scale though? Could they both have the same style of living?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski