OT Idiot lights-out drivers

Page 7 of 16

That's so it doesn't inform you you're low on gas until you've driven out of your drive, then you have to go back in to get your wallet. It's doing it to annoy you.
--
Why do people point to their wrist when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when asking where the bathroom is?

.
You should be looking at the road. I virtually never check my instrument panel. It's a car not a bloody aircraft.

You'd think so, but about 50% of cars with DRL have them as bright or brighter than dipped beam, hence it IS enough to see by.
-- The skeleton found in the car park has been confirmed to be that of Richard III, but one question remains unanswered: Who did I pay 20,000 on Ebay for?

So you have no idea what speed you are driving, how much fuel you have, or if your car is overheating etc??? By your questions and observations I'm not really convinced you are old enough or mature enough to drive.

I drive at a speed sensible for the roads, I don't need to know the numerical value.

Since I only refuel about every 3 weeks, I don't have to watch that every day.

That doesn't happen often, and bad things produce a red or orange light, which would immediately be noticed out of the corner of my eye.

I drive properly, but not according to the rules.
--
The planet Neptune has barely completed one orbit since it was discovered in 1846.
Pluto hasn't completed a full orbit since its discovery, and won't until March 23, 2178.
On 02/13/2016 01:13 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

We have a number of roads where 45 was considered sensible for years. Then one day the county put up shiny new 35 mph signs. Can you make the distinction between 35 and 40? If not, the county deputies are standing by to help you.
I suppose you don't scan your mirrors either?

If it was sensible then, it's sensible now.

No, I don't have tunnel vision. I can see the police car in the mirror out of the corner of my eye, and then I look at the speedo.
--
Hello, you have reached technical support.
Please dial 1 to report an issue, 2 to report a challenge, 3 to report a problem, or 4 to report a cockup.
On 02/13/2016 03:02 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Sensible and legal are not the same thing. Prior to 1999, the daytime speed limit outside of town was 'reasonable and proper'. That tended to be around 100 on a lot of roads. Then the maximum was dropped to 75. Was that more sensible? Last year it was increased to 80. Sensible now?

I don't do laws. I do what I think is right. Some things are legal, like shooting deer, but I don't do that. Some things are illegal like [CENSORED] but I do that copiously.
--
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare.
Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.
On 02/14/2016 03:34 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

You would go far in the states. I imagine what you think right closely corresponds to the laws unless you're very familiar with the living arrangements at HMP Perth.

Huh?

No, I disagree with probably 50% of laws.
--
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history--with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Judging by his earlier post re the condition of what he calls a car he drives on the roads of the UK, I doubt he even HAS functional mirrors.
I honestly wonder if he even has a legitimate driver's licence.
On 2/13/2016 9:54 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Photos of hisself taped to the places where the mirror glass *should* be!

Can you only see out of the centre of your eye? This is called tunnel vision and means you should not have a license. I can see something in my mirror without looking at it.
--
It's strange, isn't it? You stand in the middle of a library and go "Aaaaaaagghhhh!!!!" and everyone just stares at you. But you do the same thing on an aeroplane, and everyone joins in.

On 02/12/2016 04:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Been there, done that, and had a hard time explaining to the cop that headlights with no tail lights did not mean the tail lights were defective. That I had to explain how it worked speaks to the relatively few vehicles with DRL's here.

And the "ignorance" of law enforcement officers

No, the stupidity of the car manufacturer. If the front lights are going to be on all the time, then so should the back ones, that's how Volvos always worked.
Anyway, not putting on your taillights is just as bad if not a worse offence than having defective ones, as you could say you didn't realise they were defective.
--
You have reached the CPX-2000 Voice Blackmail System. Your voice patterns are now being digitally encoded and stored for later use. Once this is done, our computers will be able to use the sound of YOUR voice for literally thousands of illegal and immoral purposes. There is no charge for this initial consultation. However our staff of professional extortionists will contact you in the near future to further explain the benefits of our service, and to arrange for your schedule of payment. Remember to speak clearly at the sound of the tone. Thank you.

You've never seen a volvo with DRLs?

Ignorance is no excuse. As a driver YOU have the responsibility of checking your vehicle and making sure it is in safe operating condition.

My father had one decades ago, before DRL was anywhere but Sweden.

That's what I bloody said you moron. You said above that the law enforcement officers were being ignorant, which is irrelevant. Forgetting to put your lights on is as serious as having faulty ones. The net result is the same, no lights. And in fact it should be MORE serious, and in the UK it is. If I forget to wear a seatbelt, or forget to stay under the speed limit, I get a fine. If I have a bald tyre or a faulty bulb because I haven't checked it recently, I have to get it fixed within 2 weeks, but no fine.
--
On the topic of mobile phones:
Anything bigger than 4 inches is getting into the region where most people would have difficulty holding and using the device comfortably -- Callum Kerr, 2013.

I never said the police officer was BEING ignorant - I said he WAS ignorant of how DRLs work. VERY different

Here in North America - either Canada or the USA, you also get a fine if you forget to put your lights on and get stopped. (or drive without seat belts) But here you can also be charged with operating an unsafe vehicle for driving on a bald tire or with defective lighting equipment. The officer MAY give you a "grace period" if it is not a commercial vehicle, but he doesn't have to. You are usually charged on the spot - with the priveledge of explaining in court why you should not be found guilty and why you should not be fined.

Those are the same thing. He doesn't know how DRLs work, so he is ignorant of that particular piece of knowledge.

Ouch, glad I don't live there. Here in the UK I was stopped for going 95mph in a 70mph limit, driving with half my exhaust missing, one bald tyre, one soft tyre, one tyre with a split in the side, and a non-functional handbrake. I got a "pink slip" to get the defects fixed in 2 weeks then stamped by a mechanic, and they forgot the speeding offence.
--
I just sent my lawyer something for his birthday. Unfortunately, he wasn't home when it went off.