OT Idiot lights-out drivers

Page 5 of 16
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 14:54:31 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But it would be more convenient for me!
Just kidding. Your reason makes sense.
On 02/13/2016 03:57 AM, Micky wrote:

Any vehicle I've had since my '62 Lincoln has had a little crank that caused the window to go up and down. The Lincoln was a great car until the gadgets started failing, leaving me with a dislike for power this and that.

An even stupider thing about daytime running lights is they don't turn the tail lights on, which means there are now loads of people driving around at night with only the front lights on, not realising they are unlit at the back. If you have no front lights on in the day, when it gets dark you notice.
--
A sheet of sandpaper makes a cheap and effective substitute for costly maps when visiting the Sahara desert.

On 2/12/2016 6:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

On;y a compete idiot woult not notice the instrument panel is dark too. DRL do not really give you much to see by. The purpose it to be seen under certain circumstances.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"On 2/12/2016 6:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

On;y a compete idiot woult not notice the instrument panel is dark too. DRL do not really give you much to see by. The purpose it to be seen under certain circumstances. "
I guess people are just that distracted nowadays. Life is that hectic - folks working harder and longer for less money, relative to a decades costs of living.

Yeah, earning less is a reason not to put headlights on.

If you can see, you don't need the lights on, so having good eyesight is a reason not to put the lights on.
--
A single blonde pregnant girl goes to the grocery store. A couple that she knows notices she's pregnant.
The lady asks her, "Whose baby is it?"

Mass production, robotics, etc, etc we should be working less!
--
Connecticut police are investigating a string of shootings where clues are reportedly contained in a rap CD.
They are also questioning Bob Marley about the shooting of a sheriff.

Seems like the Europeans are working less.
But in the USA the fruits of increased productivity have gone to the owners and upper management, not the workers.
I think one diff is unions. Europe seems to be heavily unionized and the USA does not. ` Had an interesting situation a bunch of years ago: the #2 daughter and my nephew both worked at basically the same jobs as travel agents.
The daughter in Philadelphia PA (USA) and the nephew somewhere in Germany.
The daughter got paid for 40 hours but had to work whatever it took to cover the calls. Busy at noon? You might get a few bites of lunch down, you might not. If they worked through dinner into the night, the employer didn't even send in sandwiches... they just went hungry.
And, of course, no vacation time, no retirement plan, no medical coverage... no nothing....
Nephew's job was union. 40 hours pay for 40 hours work.... paid overtime if he chose to accept it. Six (6!) weeks vacation, retirement plan, full medical coverage.... You get the drift...
--
Pete Cresswell

In the UK, only jobs paid by the government are like your German example. Private companies are the same as the USA.
The thing is, we shouldn't be doing 40 hours of work. Machines are doing way more than they used to, we should be working a fraction as much as we used to. What went wrong?
--
*Squawk!* Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine! [Parroty error]

Per Mr Macaw:

Balance of Power: workers are not standing up for themselves, so the additional profits float up to the top.
--
Pete Cresswell

Nah, it's always ben like that. I think it's to do with standard of living.
--
An optimist thinks this is the best possible world.
A pessimist fears this is true.

I don't think so.... Back in the day guys who worked in, for instance, steel mills and automobile assembly plants owned houses and sent their kids through college.
Nowadays my impression is that most non-professional/non-technical workers are living paycheck-to-paycheck.
--
Pete Cresswell

I see you're not a Yorkshireman.

Doesn't explain the prevalence of brand new BMWs all over the place.
--
Got myself a new Jack Russell puppy, he's mainly black and brown with a small white patch, so I've named him England.

On 02/14/2016 07:41 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

all I know of Yorkshire comes from Ken Loach's film, 'The Navigators'. The takeaway from that was Yorkies do not speak English. It was as incomprehensible as 'Trainspotters' or 'Sexy Beast'.
Per rbowman:

It's in Somerset, not Yorkshire - but when I was there for a family reunion in a town called Wells, I came across two local-color types having an extended conversation in the local dialect.
I could not even catch the drift of what they were saying - and I really tried.... not one word... they might as well have been speaking Mandarin.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/14/2016 4:23 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

That's what a room full of people sound like to me when I don't have my hearing aides in!
--
Maggie

It's easier to understand than American.
--
The teacher wrote "Like I ain't had no fun in months" on the board and then she said, "Timmy, how should I correct that?"
Timmy replied, "Maybe get a new boyfriend?"

But imagine those machines didn't exist and you had to do the work the machines currently do. That would take longer.
--
A. Top posters.
Q. What's the most annoying thing on newsgroups?