OT Idiot lights-out drivers

Vast majority of OTR truckers are not allowed to pick up hitch-hikers. Totally forbidden, in fact.

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 20:39:24 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I was mixed up. It was even earlier, more like 1968, when not as many were bound by those rules, I suppose. But I do understand why others passed me by.

A decent newsreader like mine shows each poster in a different colour, aswell as indenting it, so it's clear which is hers.

A similar thing happened to me. A trucker was heading the wrong way for where I was going, but was dropping something off and returning in 20 minutes. He deliberately went past me on the way back to see if I was still there, and picked me up.
I wonder if there's any truth in the rules that most truckers are forbidden by their companies from picking up hitchhikers? I have had a few hand signals from them driving past which looked like "sorry I can't".

In the UK, most car drivers don't pick up hitchhikers, which I think is ridiculous. I always pick them up.

Typical cop.

Truckers also tend to be going further, so you make more distance before having to find another ride.
--
More people in the UK are injured by standing on upturned mains plugs than by electric shocks.

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 00:17:31 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I"m sorry. I hadn't read to the end of the post.
I'm so sorry about your brother.
On 2/13/2016 10:53 PM, rbowman wrote:

My older brother owns his own rig and travels all over the place. Makes a good living at it.
--
Maggie

I cut in if 15 cars in a row don't bother letting me out. I usually wait for the one with the brightest DRLs. If he ever gets out and moans at me, I'll say "but you flashed me.... no? Why did you leave your full beam on then?"
--
"I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting." - Ronald Reagan

On 2/13/2016 1:01 AM, rbowman wrote:

A lady in a mini-van looked straight at a motor cyclist coming towards her in the opposite lane and still turned left in front of him. The guy on the motor cycle ended up laying the motor cycle down on it's side and he got injured. She did stop at that point and took responsibility for her actions.
--
Maggie

Look up "crying wolf". The more things lit up, the less you will notice the few things that used to be lit up like motorbikes. Motorbikes are no longer standing out from cars.
If you can't see a car without a light on it, please surrender your license immediately.
--
Cindy once remarked to her dentist that she didn't know what would be worse - having a baby, or having a tooth pulled.
The Dentist replied, "Well make up your mind, Cindy - because I need to know which way to position the chair."

Mr Parrott. you are crazy. Daylighting makes ALL vehicles more visible.. If other cars on the road are a distraction to you, you should quit driving and stay aff the road.
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:25:21 AM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:

I do not like cars with forced lights.
Shortens lifespan of expensive bulbs.
Andy
philo wrote:

There are so many absent minded jerks. One has to see and be seen on the road, specially dark colored cars. Another one, signal flashing on and on without changing lane or turning. Or not signalling at all. I can adjust auto light sensor sensitivity if I need to on my car.
On 2/12/2016 12:06 PM, KenK wrote:

It is a peeve of mine too. I figure it is just stupidity. Fortunately, many cars now have automatic lights that overcome dumb drivers.
Last week I was on the highway on a dark, rainy, early morning. The blind spot detection lit up. Since I was alone on the road I figured the rain was giving a false reading. Nope, some idiot with no lights on passed me.