OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On my Toyota RAV4 (2013), there is a position on the light switch "below" the "DRL" position (daytime running lights) that turns ALL the lights off.

No lights at all (just like the old days) ...

Reply to
John Albert

Because people *do* stupid things!

Can you honestly say you've never used a screwdriver as a pry bar? Makeshift chisel?

We have lots of clay in the soil. Coupled with the lack of regular rainfall and organic material, the hardpan can be almost like concrete!

Anyone who does any work in their yard has a "caliche bar". This is just a heavy (mass is the key aspect!) metal bar with a pointed or "chiseled" end (usually one or the other). You essentially THROW it into the soil (letting the mass/inertia do much of the work -- instead of trying to "press" it into the soil) and break up the solid layers of clay (caliche).

For example: mine has a wider blade that comes to a decent "cutting edge" (so you can slice through the clay and lift it out of the hole you are digging).

Neighbor came to borrow mine, one day: "Sure"! (heck, no need to give INSTRUCTIONS for something this simple, right?)

Later, I hear metallic sounds from his back yard. Walk over to see him using it to try to cut through (break) a cement footer!

"WTF?? Now you've dulled the edge! It's for cutting SOIL, not CONCRETE/cement!"

Reply to
Don Y

I find it puzzling. Many vehicles that must have cost >$40,000 don't appear to have turn signals.

Reply to
Frank

Not yet in the US, It is in Canada. Still a lot of cars without, but they have been gaining.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My van has a beep that it sounds if for some reason I've put the lane change signal on and forgot to turn it off. It doesn't allow me to go very far before beeping, either.

Reply to
Muggles

None of my van lights come on automatically.

Reply to
Muggles

Yeah, I finally found out how to run the engine with the lights off, as you say, in case I want to surveil my girlfriend on a cold night,

But what if I want to turn the lights on when the car is not running? A 2000 Toyota. I still don't know how to do that?

Reply to
Micky

Ah, yes, in some cases

Ed Pawlowski

I don't really see many cars running with their lights on during the day except newer cars where you don't have a choice.

Reply to
Muggles

Depends on the car. I can turn them off but on many you cannot. Police cars usually have that option too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Drops" can be administered to nose, eyes, ears *or* mouth...

Reply to
Don Y

I think you are correct, but lights are not just to see. They are to be seen. Most states require 30 minutes before sunset, 30 minutes after sunrise, any time wipers are on.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Any time wipers are on? hmmm About half the people on the road here MIGHT turn on their lights if it's raining. I usually do it, though.

Reply to
Muggles

(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

If it's a suppository YES. Remember there are a lot of aholes out there and the sharks are circling them, waiting.

You got it!

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

Is it my imagination that the color of the car is always silver or some shade that matches with conditions at the time (fog, etc)?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Don Y posted for all of us...

Tekkie®

KenK posted for all of us...

Well, they there are a lot of idiots out there. That's why one practices defensive driving.

You must have compassion for the people that were out knocking them back last night and are 15 minutes late.

Reply to
Tekkie®

In many cases either drunk or high.

Reply to
clare

Police officer nephew and ex-cop brotherinlaw say drivers without lights are WAY more likely than average to be impaired. Pull over an unlit vehicle and way better than 50/50 you get a dui charge out of it.

Reply to
clare

At least here in Canada with DRL laws, unless its 1) an OLD car

2) a car with electrical problems 3) someone driving with thepark light on or 4) a "Yankee"

You will see him from the front - but not from behind.

Reply to
clare