OT Idiot lights-out drivers

Page 2 of 16

Why would any side be wronger than the other? If anything, we drive on the same side as we begin writing a line of text.

Why on earth do you think changing the national currency is anything like accepting a small number of cars with safety standards from another country?
--
What did the elephant say to the naked man?
How do you pick up anything with that?
On 02/13/2016 01:12 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

do you know how many vehicles cannot be imported into the US that are considered perfectly adequate in the rest of the world?

I've heard of one where they had to fit larger wheels so the headlights were at the correct minimum height. In the UK we only have a maximum height.
The fitting of larger wheels actually ruined the handling and made the car more dangerous. Health and softy shooting itself in the foot.
--
There once was a time when all people believed in god and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages. -- Richard Lederer

On 02/13/2016 02:55 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

It would be hard enough to put big enough tires on a Lotus Super Seven to make it legal :) In fact, I think the Evora is the only street legal model in the US.
Even worse are French cars; except for those imported by individuals they haven't been in the US market for 25 years. It's an economic decision. Can they sell enough to bother to meet US certification? Apparently they can meet the European Certificate of Conformance.

Y'all can keep on drivin' yer shitty Merkin shit wiv yer 6 litre injuns wat only put out ninety horses.
--
Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two other sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.

On 02/14/2016 03:33 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Actually, I drive a 1.5 liter Toyota. Back in the day, I drove an Austin-Healey but those are history from the last century. Some of my friends drove MGs. That marque lives on and I understand the Chinese even sent the kits to Britain to be assembled for old times sake.
I do like some of the new Thairumph bikes though.

truck is a 4 liter and the american 6 liters today put out in excess of 600 horses
On 02/14/2016 08:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Is that the original Mini Cooper? The only Morris I recall in the US was the rather ugly Morris Minor. I don't know if there was a Morris Major but I think not.
On 02/15/2016 12:13 AM, rbowman wrote:

There were, at various times, among others:
Morris Minor Morris Oxford Morris Major (an Australian 6-cyl. version of the Oxford) Morris Mini Minor (first with an 850cc engine, later with a 1000cc engine) -- the forerunner of the Cooper Mini.
Some of these had "badge-engineered" counterparts under the Austin and Wolsely brands. MG and Rover were part of the same group for many years.
Perce

were later known as "Mini"s. The Cooper was the first souped up version - with a 998? cc engine - then the Cooper S came out with the 1275.
There was the Morris Oxford, the Morris Minor, and the Morris Mini Minor here in Canada - with a lot more different Austin models - the A40 Devon 4 door and Dorset 2 door, The A40 Somerset that followed, and then the Austin A40,,A50,A55 and A60 Cambridge, and a later A4- Farina. Then came the Mini, the 1100, the 1300 America, and the 1800 Maxi.
We also got a few A90,A95 or A105 Westminsters (with 6 cyl engines)
On 02/15/2016 08:13 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

We didn't see too many of those in the US. In fact, the first Mini (or Morris) I recall seeing was in Nova Scotia. Later they showed up in club racing at Lime Rock. I crewed for a Super Seven but I never got to drive it. The owner was smarter than that.
When I was in high school a friend's father drove a Humber Super Snipe. Where he got his hands on that I have no idea. It wasn't even one of the 50's models that looked sort of classy. It looked more like an aborted Studebaker.

Watching Top Gear UK, they're always listing the horsepowers of American cars using the SAME ENGINE as a non-American car, and it's always considerably less.
--
My penis is 12 inches long, but I don't use it as a rule.

"same displacement" , yes the horsepower may be different, but if a highstrung Itallian sportscar is putting out 700HP at 8500 RPM that is 432 foot lbs of torque - it might put our 500 ft lbs at 5000 rpm which is about 475 HP., and 300ftlb at 3500 RPM which is a paultry 200HP
The American "anchor" that is only putting out 600 HP is doing it at 5500 RPM which is 575 ft lbs of torque - and down at 3500 RPM it may be putting out 725 ft lbs ) about 483HP
So the american "anchor" has lots of "balls" down deep where they are useable on American roads - and still puts out more than adequate HP at "sensible" engine speeds - where the exotic Italian needs to rev like crazy to get any work done..
It's torque that makes a car quick.

I can't remember exactly what the comparisons were but they sounded ridiculous. Maybe it was just the same engine size. Maybe it was better tuned in some makes, I don't know. But they always claimed the American cars never managed to get the HP they should do.

Hence diesel is superior.
--
Q. What did the sign on the door of the whorehouse say?
A. Beat it - we're closed.
On 02/16/2016 02:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I think he meant the optimistic claims for US cars. A lot of ponies tend to get lost on their way to the dyno.

and europeans seem to believe that. (they go by HP numbers and don't consider the torque - which is a definite requirement in a "yank tank" as they call our cars.

What I meant was a particular Ford engine for example was used in an American car and got 250 HP. The same engine was put in a UK car and got 300 HP. Presumably it's down to tuning, the carburettor/fuel injection system, the gearbox ratios, etc.
--
You can't polish a turd, but it's funny as fuck watching someone try.

On 02/16/2016 08:33 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Horsepower in US manufacturer claims is closely related to horseshit. Always has been.

Please don't say it's a Prius.....

Thailand Triumphs?
--
I had some words with my wife, and she had some paragraphs with me.

On 02/16/2016 08:32 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Afraid so...
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2011/10/article/inside-triumph-motorcycles/
At least in the US if the VIN has a J it's from Jacknell Rd, Hinckley, T for Chonburi. There's a Brazil branch but afaik that's strictly an assembly operation to beat the import tariffs.
I looked at them a couple of years ago and didn't see any quality difference. Nice bikes, but I went with a Suzuki. Not as cool looking as a Bonnie, but it gets the job done.