OT Idiot lights-out drivers

Page 1 of 16
Just about pulled out in front of a car with lights out early this morning. Not even parking lights. A few seconds earlier...
Why do these people drive with lights out? Save gas - engine runs easier without generating electricity for lights? Seems I've seen many more of them in the past year for some reason.
Breeding more of them in your area too?
Sorry to bother you all. Had to vent somewhere.
On 02/12/2016 11:06 AM, KenK wrote:

My car is set to automatic and the lights go on and off as needed.
That said, if it's very dark, it's odd they don't notice that they can't see anything
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 12:14:18 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:

This can't be much of a problem anymore, can it? The vast majority of cars on the road now have daytime lights on, ie if the car is running the lights are on. Not sure if it's a law though. Probably should be though.
On 02/12/2016 11:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Yes, even with my lights in the "off" position there are still "running lights". I don't know if there is anyway to turn them off completely
philo wrote:

What about tail lights? There are still many older cars/trucks on the road yet.
On 02/12/2016 11:38 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

My car is more than ten years old, but yes, there are cars out there much older. At one time cars did not last very long

My 20 year old pickup had DRL
On 02/12/2016 03:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I see you have .ca email address. AFAIK, DRLs were required in Canada long ago, but on our Canadian-built '02 Chrysler 300M DRLs weren't even a factory-fitted option; I bought the module and plugged it in, and they work.
Perce
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 15:40:39 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

They were not an option in "export" vehicles in 02 because some idiot states still had laws on the books making them illegal, apparently.
At least on an Canadian built US market vehicle all you need to do is plug in a module to make them work and make them legal for importation into canada. Many US built "domestic market" vehicles require a real bodge job to get DRLs working to make them legal to import into Canada (along with things like having to replace the inferior-spec bumpers etc).It used to be quite a few US vehicles could not be imported into canada at all because they could not be brought up to Canadian spec, but most of them are now over 15 years old and allowed in. There are still some that cannot be brought in - like 2005 2wd Jimmy/Blazer, any Lotus other than 01-04 esprit,, Mercedes CLK63 Black Series or S500 Guard Package, Tesla Model S, some Masaratti and McLaren, and quite a few Saleen, Shelby and Roush Mustangs (if converted after sale - not purchased from Ford as finished vehicles) and van conversions not done by a recognized list of converters.
On 02/12/2016 04:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

We just bought a 2008 Pontiac Vibe (re-badged Toyota Matrix) from a Canadian friend who was returning to Canada and didn't want to have to mess with beefing it up to Canadian standards on top of having to pay import duty.
Perce

Can't he just drive it registered to the US? Like if you were on holiday?
--
Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Easy way to be charged with tax evasion - plus most likely driving with no insurance since you cannot insure an american licenced vehicle in Canada.
You have 6 months if visiting, and a couple weeks after importing to change the registration. Bringing a car across the border to stay without geclaring it is also smuggling..
Bad Jiu Jiu if you get caught.
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 23:01:43 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Anyone can pay taxes and fees.
It takes a real man to face smuggling charges.

How absurd. Don't the Canadians trust the Americans? If it was ok in one country, it's ok in another one.
--
Mary had a little lamb
And nothing much besides.

The Americans don't "trust" the Canadians any more than the Canadians "trust" the Americans, but it doesn't come down to "trust" - it comes down to "regulations"
Does your mommy know you are using her computer?

You can't follow simple reasoning. If the Americans deem a car safe, then the Canadians should accept that, and vice versa.
--
I lost the trivia contest at the church social last night by one point.
The last question was: "Where do most women have curly hair?"

Different safety requirements. Who is to say the USA is right???? Canadian safety standards tend to be higher than USA standards for many things. We are 2 different countries - with 2 different legal systems, 2 different sets of laws,

But it's very childish/pedantic not to accept similar laws from another country.
--
Peter is currently listening to 10 minutes of laughter set to music.

Says the Brit - where they still drive on the "wrong" side of the road and have kept their currency (instead of adopting the Euro like the rest of the "European Community" they are otherwise part of.
Again, 3 words
Pot Kettle Black
On 02/13/2016 09:30 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

They're tooling up for the Brexit. Maybe. I feel sorry for the Danes trying to figure out what the Brits will do next. They only joined the EEC because the UK did and aren't the most enthusiastic EU members. They're still using the krone rather than the euro too.