OT: Ice doesn't get the respect it deserves

Page 3 of 4

Yes, I know, you manage to maintain a four to five second following distance at all times, including in rush hour urban highway traffic. You're not lying at all, super-driver. No, not you, nuh-uh. Not that I would expect you to be lying your ass off on a newsgroup just to get in a cheap dig at me. No, not you, you're way more mature than that, you lying fuckwitted sack of shit.
nate

Some of those tailgaters aren't paying attention. The other day I slowed down to 40 before the idiot behind me woke up and passed. They must be texting or some kind of other crap. When I take my foot off the accelerator these idiots behind come closer and closer until they wake up....finally and pass. Which leads to another problem. I notice a lot of people who jerk their wheels into the passing lane. It's like they're playing a video game. No wonder roll overs happen a lot. I also notice lately people pass on the right when the left lane is clear. Seems really weird to do that.

No it's not. Thankfully, because of all the idiots that don't know that you're not supposed to be in the left lane unless you're actively passing.
nate

You reported receiving one of your many speeding tickets while in the L lane and not actively passing... -----
- gpsman

That's not universally true, either. NYS noticed that the right lanes were deteriorating much faster than the left. They changed the law accordingly 20 something years ago to try to even the wear. The law was changed to "slow traffic keep right".

Are there signs posted saying that? do you have a cite for that?
In my state,there ARE signs saying "slower traffic keep right" and "Keep right except to pass". (STKR and KRETP)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yes. At least they were all over the Thruway. Check the DMV web site. I'm sure they have RotR online.

They are likely suggestions.

Dude, be realistic. You're driving on the DC Beltway at 55 with a median to your left and a line of cars in the lane next to you all moving at speed. Suddenly, a HUGE hunk of ice arcs up unto the air from a car a few car lengths in front and a lane over. The ice chunk is spinning wildly because of its ragged shape. It all happens so quickly that you can't do much but take the hit. Jam on the brakes and you'll get rear-ended. Switch lanes? Can't when there's a car next to you hoping that HE'S not the one that's going to be hit and he's looking to switch into your lane too quickly and without looking. You can't accurately predict the trajectory of a plank of ice spinning as it passes over cars ahead, the slipstream of each causing it to change direction.
Please put the blame on the proper parties.
The party in error here was the dickhead who drove with his car covered with ice. When it happens to you, you'll understand. Let's hope don't find that the last thing you remember when it happens to you is "Bobby was right!" You'll know that I was right when some dickhead's ice pack, plywood sheet or some other insecurely fastened load flies off the car ahead of you, next to you or in the opposite lanes and caroms wildly through the air before it slams through your windshield before you even have time to react.
I've been there, done that and respectfully suggest that you're out of your element here. At least when it comes to getting hit with stuff flying off improperly cleaned cars and trucks on a highway that long ago surpassed the number of cars it was designed to serve. Driving might be very different where you live, but the suggestions to "leave more room" are completely unworkable in many cities at or near rush hour. You will be power passed, tailgated and perhaps even shot at if you don't "go with the flow."
-- Bobby G.

I think they can be counted on to tailgate anyway. A lower speed encourages them to pass, and if it doesn't, I keep a bandolier of lower speeds in the arsenal.
Whatever "power passing" is, it doesn't sound like sufficient motivation to drive like a nitwit to avoid it.
Being shot seems as likely as the usual objection to defensive driving of "THEY'LL RUN ME OVER!"
When was the last motorist shot by another motorist...? -----
- gpsman

Swing and a miss. According to the report the man shot was a pedestrian, and neither vehicle is indicated to be in motion:
"Moore said that his client could see David getting out of his car with his gun. It was at that point that North fired the shot that killed David, Moore said." -----
- gpsman

How do you want to define motorist? A guy on foot who was previously motoring, and/or may motor later...? -----
- gpsman

The original question was posed in response to "shot at if you don't go with the flow."
I'm guessing if the flow speed of traffic is 0, you're going with the flow.
What's up next; blaming the victim for not driving right? -----
- gpsman
On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 05:01:24 -0800, Smitty Two

The 9th? That's ancient history-- Here's one from the 17th http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/ISP_arrests_suspect_in_I-80_road_rage_shooting_116707604.html
Jim

That's shot "at"... -----
- gpsman
On 2/18/2011 2:30 AM, Robert Green wrote:

I was out in a T-shirt and sweating yesterday but I never trust the weather here in Alabamastan. We could have a blizzard next week. My problem with the extreme cold weather we had here a while back was me busting my butt on my steep driveway that got covered in ice. :-(
TDD

One small point: Icy roads don't cause traffic crashes. -----
- gpsman
On Feb 18, 8:30am, "Stormin Mormon"

"Motorists". "Drivers" don't blame conditions.
More than a few, IME, but even if it were all they'd still be wrong. It's rationalization/transfer of responsibility for crashing from the operator to the road.
At some point a multi-vehicle pileup will stop adding vehicles. If icy roads caused that crash that pileup would continue to collect vehicles until conditions improved.
And, somehow, the last vehicle preceding the crash somehow managed to make it beyond that point on the same icy road.
Then, the emergency responders can be expected to and do most often arrive at the crash point w/o crashing, on the same icy road.
Blaming the road/conditions is just a steaming heap of rationalization. -----
- gpsman
They'd be wrong, unless we're talking about an isolated patch of ice that is difficult/impossible to distinguish from pavement. Other than that, it usually *is* the driver's fault. I've successfully driven on ice many times and not crashed.
nate
On Feb 18, 8:30am, "Stormin Mormon"

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:49:51 -0800, N8N wrote:

Yeah, happened to a friend of mine - patch of ice where the road was otherwise clear. Car went airborne and wrapped itself around a power pole; friend was in a coma for around a month but came out of it OK. Police and fire reports put it down to freak accident rather than driver error.
cheers
Jules
On 2/18/2011 3:30 AM, Robert Green wrote:

If what I learned in science class is still true, water is the only thing (known to man) that expands as it freezes. I think in it's ice form it continues to expand as it gets colder.