OT: Ice doesn't get the respect it deserves

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

any NASCAR superspeedway race (like Daytona)is a good example; you have many cars bumper to bumper going 200 MPH,but the problems arise when a slower car is encountered,or when someone makes an "improper lane change".

When drivers do unexpected or Dumbass moves.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If there's not enough room,then it's an unsafe lane change,so I block them from doing it and endangering me and others. BTW,that is how the insurance scammers operate,they cut in and then jam on the brakes,and you end up rear-ending them because there wasn't enough room for them to make a safe lane change.

Why do people on the expressways slow down before they move right into an exit lane,which already has length for deceleration?

Answer;they don't know how to drive.

then there are the people in the middle through lane(of three thru lanes) who decide at the last minute that they want/need to get off at the exit,and slow down to wait for someone to "let them over". I never do,I move to block them. I even see this on city streets.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

e:

So you _do_ tailgate, as I suspected.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

That's not universally true, either. NYS noticed that the right lanes were deteriorating much faster than the left. They changed the law accordingly 20 something years ago to try to even the wear. The law was changed to "slow traffic keep right".

Reply to
krw

Actively blocking them is far more dangerous.

That's how *everyone* in the NE drives.

Dunno, but some of them really aren't long enough for a safe deceleration. There is one here that is downright scary if you hit it at highway speed. I generally take my foot off the gas somewhat early if there isn't anyone around. If there is, I'll ride the brakes after the lane change.

That's why you see them going 40 and 90, too.

Agression isn't the answer.

Because the lost don't know which way they have to go, so take the average.

Reply to
krw

You *do* try to be stupid, as I suspected. You've succeeded at something in your life!

Reply to
krw

Did you shit your pants, AGAIN?

Reply to
krw

Ah. The ol' "my tailgating is defensive driving" perspective. I haven't seen that in weeks.

No, they can do that with all the room in the world.

Why do people confuse tailgating as a defensive driving technique?

If anything untoward should occur let's hope any potential plaintiff's attorneys and your insurance agent haven't caught up with the interweb craze. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

rote:

bly an optimal

ngs for a long

Your 'slowing for a few seconds to re-establish safe distance =3D slow driving' is about the most asinine thing I have seen in driving discussions. The only way you can avoid doing it is to tailgate. Since you think "slow driving" as in the above is verboten, I assume from that most rediculous post that you have either _never_ been cut off or tailgate at all times.

So which is it? Tailgating or committing the offense of "slow driving"?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Apparently you have never grown past the gradeschool mentality.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No,it's not. either way,I end up "tailgating" the car in front of me. I refuse to be an enabler. I choose to prevent the bad behavior of the "last minute lane changers".(LML's)

"some of them"? that doesn't mean most or all of them. IMO,MOST exit lanes are plenty long enough to slow after entering them.

blocking is not "aggression",it's a response to aggression. Just as self-defense is not aggression.

It's not all "lost" that do this,it's mainly MFFY's and the clueless. "lost" is still no excuse for not doing the proper thing and making a U- turn at the NEXT light or exit.

"MFFY" is "Me First,F-You".

Reply to
Jim Yanik

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Are there signs posted saying that? do you have a cite for that?

In my state,there ARE signs saying "slower traffic keep right" and "Keep right except to pass". (STKR and KRETP)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And just what do you call blocking someone from making a lane change? I fail to see how someone changing lanes into what is apparently enough room takes any skin off your nose. Seems there _is_ enough room or you wouldn't have to "speed up to block"

I try to maintain at least a 2 sec separation. That does leave enough room for someone to slip in there without one having to "slam on the brakes" (the favorite claim of people advocatin the 'blocking' move).

Harry K

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Sounds like this guy is a wannabe cop or wannabe NASCAR driver. Breaks the rules of staying away from other vehicles, and even worse, the rule of "consistency." Actively interfering with other drivers can lead to road rage. But I won't interfere with him. Leave that to the cops, his insurance company, and his maker. My driving goal is to stay away from that stuff. Keeping speed consistent works to avoid accidents. Cruise control really makes a difference on the highway. Long ago before cruise control I started giving real attention to exactly how fast I was going when I noticed all the leap-frogging going on. Me keeping a consistent speed didn't stop it. Takes two to tango. I don't hardly ever notice that anymore, so I suspect most folks are using their cruise control. The last thing that used to commonly piss me off is ahole mergers who match my speed. Left lane full of fast traffic, and I'm in the right lane doing the limit or ten over, don't matter. It's steady on cruise. 10-20 empty car lengths in front of me and the same behind. Long ramp and easy to merge. The ahole matches my speed as he/she (seems women do this more) runs out of lane and is still right alongside me. Even that is a non-issue now. I can see it coming and kick down the cruise before it gets too tight. Not afraid to brake either. A successful day on the road is no '"close calls" and a cheerful trip.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Yes. At least they were all over the Thruway. Check the DMV web site. I'm sure they have RotR online.

They are likely suggestions.

Reply to
krw

Dude, be realistic. You're driving on the DC Beltway at 55 with a median to your left and a line of cars in the lane next to you all moving at speed. Suddenly, a HUGE hunk of ice arcs up unto the air from a car a few car lengths in front and a lane over. The ice chunk is spinning wildly because of its ragged shape. It all happens so quickly that you can't do much but take the hit. Jam on the brakes and you'll get rear-ended. Switch lanes? Can't when there's a car next to you hoping that HE'S not the one that's going to be hit and he's looking to switch into your lane too quickly and without looking. You can't accurately predict the trajectory of a plank of ice spinning as it passes over cars ahead, the slipstream of each causing it to change direction.

Please put the blame on the proper parties.

The party in error here was the d*****ad who drove with his car covered with ice. When it happens to you, you'll understand. Let's hope don't find that the last thing you remember when it happens to you is "Bobby was right!" You'll know that I was right when some d*****ad's ice pack, plywood sheet or some other insecurely fastened load flies off the car ahead of you, next to you or in the opposite lanes and caroms wildly through the air before it slams through your windshield before you even have time to react.

I've been there, done that and respectfully suggest that you're out of your element here. At least when it comes to getting hit with stuff flying off improperly cleaned cars and trucks on a highway that long ago surpassed the number of cars it was designed to serve. Driving might be very different where you live, but the suggestions to "leave more room" are completely unworkable in many cities at or near rush hour. You will be power passed, tailgated and perhaps even shot at if you don't "go with the flow."

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I think they can be counted on to tailgate anyway. A lower speed encourages them to pass, and if it doesn't, I keep a bandolier of lower speeds in the arsenal.

Whatever "power passing" is, it doesn't sound like sufficient motivation to drive like a nitwit to avoid it.

Being shot seems as likely as the usual objection to defensive driving of "THEY'LL RUN ME OVER!"

When was the last motorist shot by another motorist...? -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Swing and a miss. According to the report the man shot was a pedestrian, and neither vehicle is indicated to be in motion:

"Moore said that his client could see David getting out of his car with his gun. It was at that point that North fired the shot that killed David, Moore said." -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

The 9th? That's ancient history-- Here's one from the 17th

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

That's shot "at"... -----