OT: Ice doesn't get the respect it deserves

Page 2 of 4
On Feb 20, 6:51pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Odd that noone has even mentioned a "slow" driver. Backing off a few seconds and then resuming cruise speed does not constitute a "slow driver". I suppose if someone cut in in front of you you just merrily proceed on tailgating him. Or is it that you tailgate all the time to keep people from cutting in in front of you?
Harry K

Back off == slow. If you're "backing off" you're going slower than traffic. Those behind you *will* attempt to get ahead. Sorry, you lose.

I know it's hard, but don't *try* to be stupid.

If there's not enough room,then it's an unsafe lane change,so I block them from doing it and endangering me and others. BTW,that is how the insurance scammers operate,they cut in and then jam on the brakes,and you end up rear-ending them because there wasn't enough room for them to make a safe lane change.

Why do people on the expressways slow down before they move right into an exit lane,which already has length for deceleration?
Answer;they don't know how to drive.
then there are the people in the middle through lane(of three thru lanes) who decide at the last minute that they want/need to get off at the exit,and slow down to wait for someone to "let them over". I never do,I move to block them. I even see this on city streets.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Actively blocking them is far more dangerous.

That's how *everyone* in the NE drives.

Dunno, but some of them really aren't long enough for a safe deceleration. There is one here that is downright scary if you hit it at highway speed. I generally take my foot off the gas somewhat early if there isn't anyone around. If there is, I'll ride the brakes after the lane change.

That's why you see them going 40 and 90, too.

Agression isn't the answer.

Because the lost don't know which way they have to go, so take the average.

No,it's not. either way,I end up "tailgating" the car in front of me. I refuse to be an enabler. I choose to prevent the bad behavior of the "last minute lane changers".(LML's)

"some of them"? that doesn't mean most or all of them. IMO,MOST exit lanes are plenty long enough to slow after entering them.

blocking is not "aggression",it's a response to aggression. Just as self-defense is not aggression.

It's not all "lost" that do this,it's mainly MFFY's and the clueless. "lost" is still no excuse for not doing the proper thing and making a U- turn at the NEXT light or exit.
"MFFY" is "Me First,F-You".
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

And just what do you call blocking someone from making a lane change? I fail to see how someone changing lanes into what is apparently enough room takes any skin off your nose. Seems there _is_ enough room or you wouldn't have to "speed up to block"
I try to maintain at least a 2 sec separation. That does leave enough room for someone to slip in there without one having to "slam on the brakes" (the favorite claim of people advocatin the 'blocking' move).
Harry K
Harry K
On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 07:42:57 -0800 (PST), Harry K

Sounds like this guy is a wannabe cop or wannabe NASCAR driver. Breaks the rules of staying away from other vehicles, and even worse, the rule of "consistency." Actively interfering with other drivers can lead to road rage. But I won't interfere with him. Leave that to the cops, his insurance company, and his maker. My driving goal is to stay away from that stuff. Keeping speed consistent works to avoid accidents. Cruise control really makes a difference on the highway. Long ago before cruise control I started giving real attention to exactly how fast I was going when I noticed all the leap-frogging going on. Me keeping a consistent speed didn't stop it. Takes two to tango. I don't hardly ever notice that anymore, so I suspect most folks are using their cruise control. The last thing that used to commonly piss me off is ahole mergers who match my speed. Left lane full of fast traffic, and I'm in the right lane doing the limit or ten over, don't matter. It's steady on cruise. 10-20 empty car lengths in front of me and the same behind. Long ramp and easy to merge. The ahole matches my speed as he/she (seems women do this more) runs out of lane and is still right alongside me. Even that is a non-issue now. I can see it coming and kick down the cruise before it gets too tight. Not afraid to brake either. A successful day on the road is no '"close calls" and a cheerful trip.
--Vic

Ah. The ol' "my tailgating is defensive driving" perspective. I haven't seen that in weeks.

No, they can do that with all the room in the world.

Why do people confuse tailgating as a defensive driving technique?

If anything untoward should occur let's hope any potential plaintiff's attorneys and your insurance agent haven't caught up with the interweb craze. -----
- gpsman
On Feb 20, 8:56pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

So you _do_ tailgate, as I suspected.
Harry K

You *do* try to be stupid, as I suspected. You've succeeded at something in your life!
On Feb 21, 5:09pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Your 'slowing for a few seconds to re-establish safe distance = slow driving' is about the most asinine thing I have seen in driving discussions. The only way you can avoid doing it is to tailgate. Since you think "slow driving" as in the above is verboten, I assume from that most rediculous post that you have either _never_ been cut off or tailgate at all times.
So which is it? Tailgating or committing the offense of "slow driving"?
Harry K

any NASCAR superspeedway race (like Daytona)is a good example; you have many cars bumper to bumper going 200 MPH,but the problems arise when a slower car is encountered,or when someone makes an "improper lane change".
When drivers do unexpected or Dumbass moves.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

So when driving in traffic you _never_ expect anyone to touch the brake, slow down a bit, change lanes? That is why a good driver maintains a reasonable followign distance, 2 seconds is about right, to allow for such normal occurances. A good driver will also slow momentarily to re-estalish his followign distance. Must be nice driving in _your_ universe.
Harry K

Did you shit your pants, AGAIN?
On Feb 21, 5:11pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Apparently you have never grown past the gradeschool mentality.
Harry K
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 07:26:35 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I use a method that works in nearly all cases except really heavy traffic. Even then it works pretty good. Get a safe distance behind a semi doing a steady speed. You have to accept the speed is enough, and stick with it. Even when the semi is doing a steady 10 over, nobody will want to pull behind it. You'll never get tail-gated for long either. Tail-gaters see the truck, and they *have* to pass the truck. You can be pretty far back, plenty for safety. Usually 50-100 yards. Hardly ever have anybody cut in front of you. You've taken the "comfortable" distance. I'm not worried about revealing my "secret." Reason it works is I'm almost the only one doing it. The great mass of drivers is predictable and operates with herd mentality.
--Vic
Vic Smith wrote:

THe other benefit from following a semi is they don't stop on a dime, giving you an additional buffer before you have to react.
Jon
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 08:32:04 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

Yep. Part of a safe distance is calculating how fast who you're following can stop, and how fast you can stop. I always assume the car in front of me can slam on his brakes whenever he wants to. More than once I've seen 4-8 cars that tail ended each other pulled over on the x-way waiting for the cops, or with the cops. Don't want to part of a crowd like that.
--Vic

That goes along with my driving method. The goal is to stay away from as many other vehicles as possible. I'm usually in the right lane. But sometimes the left lane and more speed is safer for a stretch. Tail-gaters are easy to get rid of. Just go slower until they pass. They nearly always do. Besides, when somebody is on your tail, it's a safety issue. You want to slow down.
--Vic

I've been trying to determine -the one- most important factor in "safe" driving and I think it's "separation".

In the driving instructing business they refer to that as "adjusting velocity to coincide with the following distance of the vehicle to the rear".
I should not be astounded to find more driving knowledge here in 2-3 posts of a single thread than in the entire contents of rec.autos.driving over the last 6+ years.
There, you will learn you literally have no right to slow unless you're avoiding an imminent crash and tailgating is a defensive driving technique; keeps anyone from cutting you off and "forcing" you to tailgate.
You tell 'em, 2-second-Nate. -----
- gpsman -----
- gpsman