OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

Page 3 of 3

If you're that paranoid, sign with your other hand. The signature isn't used for anything unless you contest the charge.

Rare, but I have seen cashiers check the card signature compared to the signed receipt. I wonder what they would do if not a match?

I've seen it happen, too. It was more common a few years ago, perhaps the CCCs had a push on. If they don't match, I think the directions are to ask for identification, just as if the card is unsigned.
On 10/9/2010 1:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My card rides around in my back pocket by itself. so consequenty, the sig is wiped off often. The best ones are when the cashier will say i can't take that if it's not signed. THEN have me sign it, then they'll take it. LMAO! And then there's the stores that don't even require a sig under $50. And then there's the gas pumps.... you put in your debit card, then it asks if you know your PIN. If you say "no", then it takes it anyway. !!
--
Steve Barker
On 10/8/2010 2:25 PM, notbob wrote:

Ignore this- I fat-fingered something when I canceled my half-written post.
aem sends... On 10/9/2010 3:16 PM, aemeijers wrote:

Not all - but MANY credit card companies charge more for the "rewards" cards. - so the seller just has to raise the price a bit more to cover THAT.
On 10/8/2010 3:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That is why people need to pay for their own rewards instead of asking everyone else to help them.

Yup.
"Prices listed are the lowest cash price. The cash price is a 6 cents/ gallon discount from the credit card price." http://www.pilottravelcenters.com/Locations/Travel_Centers/Disclaimer.aspx

I think it was Flying J that first tried passing CC service fees on to the customer but that was declared "illegal", so they just swapped to a discount for cash.
Bigger trucking companies that buy a lot of fuel negotiate discounts, sometimes based on a graduated usage scale.
I once drove for a small company that only had 6 "authorized" fuel providers, coast to coast. If you fueled elsewhere, that was -your- fuel. That'll challenge your trip planning abilities. -----
- gpsman

Depends on the station and the brand. Some do, most don't. The price is usually posted as cash and credit someplace. One discount station I use charges extra only for AMEX. State laws may come into this also. Using a card saves a trip into the store to pay, but not worth the premium price. I try to buy my gas in MA as it is cheaper than CT and some towns have full service at the same price as self serve. Local fire marshal decides if self serve is allowed.

Only in CA. Cross the border into NV and Arco stations do, indeed, take credit cards.
OTOH, some other states like CO, where I now live, have no concept of basic CA style ATM (NOT debit!) cards which you can use almost universally in CA. I tried to get an ATM card at a bank that also has branches in CA. I was told by a handfull of new acct reps that no such animal existed. I told them I'd been using an ATM card to buy retail items at most retail stores and the head bitch told me she'd been in the banking industry for 25 yrs and no such ATM card existed in the US banking industry. I just got up and left. Apparently, the only thing an ATM card is good for, here, is to withdraw cash from YOUR acct at YOUR bank's ATM machine, period.
All states do not bank the same.
nb

I don't like using either! Both can be used by ANYONE passing it to an inattentive clerk (is there any other kind?). As you say, you can sign Rin-Tin-Tin and it will pass. With a true bank ATM, only by entering the correct PIN will it work. Unfortunately, the whole concept is completely alien in CO.
nb

Up here in Canada the vast majority of credit cards are noe CHIP cards and require a pin just like an ATM card.
On 10/11/10 08:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

So perhaps that's why on a recent trip to Canada I still had to go into the office to pay even though I had swiped my US card at the pump and it had allowed me to pump my gas.
-- And it was concerning such situations as this that I referred in an earlier message to the difficulty of canceling a purchase if an electronic signature was required (which the previous poster had said he refuses to do) and the gas had already been pumped.
Perce
On 10/8/2010 1:51 PM, notbob wrote:

Apparently MI is like CA, at least for credit union ATM cards. I can use it as a POS debit card at most, but not all, places. (Including INside at Sam's, but not OUTside at the gas pumps- weird.)
--
aem sends...

It was your location or your car. I had a Dodge van and a Honda Civic. Both ran Arco better than any other brand. The van, which had a non-stock cam, pinged badly during very hot weather. Arco was the only regular I could run so my van would not ping badly. This in NorCal.
nb

I know not where in NorCal you are, but in SFBA, that is not the case. In fact, the San Jose Mercury did a whole Sunday issue on how gas was distributed in the SFBA. It all comes from the same place, refineries about 40 mi N of where I lived, all originating through the same pipeline. Each brand has diff additives injected into the main pipeline, but it's all the same base. As the base gas moved past a certain point, tens of thousands of gals at a time, additives were injected. Over the entire length of the pipeling, several brands were being pumped at the same time, the intermingling between 2 diff brands amounting to no more than about 50 gals. As the diff brands of gas passed different points, valves rerouted them to diff distro stations. It's all computer controlled split-second timing.
I recall Arco ran very well in my vehicles when it was 10% alcohol. The Shell station across the street from the Arco station, ran the worst in my van. Hard to start and pinged like crazy.

That was that whole MTBE fiasco that was pushed by the oil companies and perpetuated by NAFTA extortion articles. Then Gov Davis tried to kill MTBE in favor of ethanol, but was stopped cold by the Feds. I'll not go into it, here, cuz it's some real slimey politics, but Davis backed down for later concessions beneficial to CA in the future.
nb