(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

Page 3 of 4
I don't know the way ebay does it, but sometimes I will watch an item with a buy it now.
I do this for several reasons. I have not made up my mind to buy it, I want to mark an item while I look for something similar and maybe at a beter price. It makes it easy to find that item if I do decide to buy it. There is one item that I have been watching for a long time. They have lots of them , and I have ordered from them twice over a years period of time. Makes it easy for me to find them again.

On 3/30/2015 7:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I buy stuff on Ebay. I've also wondered about this. It is possible some folks do put items on the wish list, and wish they had the money. Or as you say, Ebay is hyping itself. Lets both hope someone knows. I'm also curious.
On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 5:37:17 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I shop on eBay quite a bit and just guessing that it's a ploy to make you decide to buy the item RIGHT NOW. Sort of a trick to scare you that one of those 10 people watching that item will buy that it and knock you out of your chance to own it.
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:12:08 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann

Nope. It's legit. When there are "more than 30" avaialble and 5 watching, what are you scared of???????
On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 10:18:08 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

i watch buy now occasionally. sometimes i am looking for a better deal, sometimes waitiingon cash to buy something
On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 9:18:08 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

decide to buy the item RIGHT NOW. Sort of a trick to scare you that one of those 10 people watching that item will buy that it and knock you out of y our chance to own it.

Go back and read my post again. I didn't say it wasn't legitimate nor did I say I was scared of anything. I DID say it may be a ploy by eBay to scar e a shopper into buying _r i g h t n o w_ in the hopes they may think th e item would be gone if they don't act immediately.
I make my own decisions when to buy whether 1 or 10,000 are watching a part icular item.
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 21:14:48 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann

A "ploy" suggests an "illegitamate" action and you seemed to have some irational "fear" that they were out to get you.
On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 11:37:16 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

id I say I was scared of anything. I DID say it may be a ploy by eBay to s care a shopper into buying _r i g h t n o w_ in the hopes they may think the item would be gone if they don't act immediately.

articular item.

Do you have reading comprehension problems or are you just stupid?

--

Thats what I was thinking !!!!!

I wanted to buy something thos morning. It had 8 watchers listed. I
On 3/30/2015 10:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I have been on ebay since 1996 and I watch BIN's a lot. The reason that I do it is because it is something that I want but I think the price is too high so if it goes off unsold it will show me where it it relisted (if it was) and I can go in and see if the price has been lowered and buy it if it has been.
IGot2P wrote:

One needs strong self control and patience shopping on eBay. Otherwise may spend too much money by impulsive buying or reckless bidding. Next follows buyers remorse. For some items eBay price is quite higher than else where.

Yes, you can see it in the bidding. I don't pay attention to others' bidding, unless it has exceeded what I'm willing to pay. I only snipe items (5 seconds and less), bidding my maximum price. If you're not willing to snipe, almost always somebody will "test" your bid, costing you money. Never had regrets. If you're willing to pay more than me, it's yours. And yes, I've seen items sell for much more than retail price. People "watching" an item is a reflection of how many people have it on their "Watch List."
On 3/30/2015 11:33 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

[snip]

How true! Secret in bidding is set a limit and exercise self-control to stick to it and/or use sniping software to post your max bid at the last possible second to keep from driving up the price.
I've been an avid "eBayer" for years and gotten excellent bargains over those years. In recent years, however, there are sellers there that post "Buy It Now" prices that are easily three to four times suggested retail. Nothing wrong with that since it's all open and up front. I figure their market has to be the clowns who don't have enough sense to come in out of the rain but have heard there are great bargains to be had on eBay. Amazing!
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Hi, It is getting tougher and tougher to find bargains at eBay these days. Some sellers gouge buyers with shipping charge too. Being in Canada now exchange rate sucks.
On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 05:13:26 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

What bothers me most is selling prices that are very reasonable - or even unreasonably low, and then insanely exorbitant shipping fees.
Something that retails for $20, BIN price of $0.99 and shipping of $60 - for somthing that weighs a few ounces and will fit in a padded 8.5x11 envelope.
On 3/31/2015 11:41 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Agreed, but those charges are plainly stated and if you're willing (or dumb enough) to pay them, who's the problem? I'm fairly reasonable when judging other people's shipping charges. If I'm selling you an iPad or Netbook, what's fair? You and I both want it to get to you, I have to wrap it properly, schlep it to the post office of UPS store, pay their charges, etc. etc. My time has value, just like yours. Maybe I'm spoiled because I'm self-employed - not retail nor internet sales - and my knowledge, skills and time are the only thing I have to sell. I sell them by the 1/10th hour increment. If I'm going to "gift wrap", transport to the USPS, a Flat Rate Priority Mail pack with the vintage whatever you just bought from me for $15 that will cost (cheapest way) $12.80 or whatever to ship, don't expect me to charge you $13.00 to ship. That's why they call it shipping AND HANDLING<g>

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 22:00:11 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

True - I'm self employed too - I check the shipping cost before I place a bid, for sure. Sure makes you wonder how the Chinese can ship something half way 'round the world for less than I could send a letter from Windsor Ont to Detroit Michigan!!!! I bought some electronic components for less than $3, that would have cost me a minimum of $7 - more likely $15 anywhere in North America, and a minimum of another $7-$12 to ship from Texas, California, or Florida- and the shipping was included!! Shipping from Toronto would have cost me more than $3 - even picking it up in Cambridge would have cost me that in gas alone!!
On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 00:10:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I"ve wondered about this. Do they put it all in a big box, or a container, or something, so it ships as one package? That seems to be contradicted by the package labeling, but maybe there's some special rule?
On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 22:00:11 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

One of the things I learned with Amazon or maybe Ebay is that if I'm sending a gift, even to my brother where gift-wrapping is not needed, I have to mark it as a gift, and then refuse the actual giftwrapping. There is no charge for this at whatever site I'm thinking of.
When I didn't mark it as a gift, they gave no indication who sent it!!!! And my brother couldn't figure it out!

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 10:59:04 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Personally I don't think using a credit card online at a reputable site like Ebay is any more risky than using it to pay for dinner at a restaurant, in shops, storesm etc. I use a CC and paypal online a lot and haven't had a problem yet. And if you do, the CC companies almost always are going to make good on it, if it's really fraud. Under law, you're limited to I think $50 liability and the major CC companies even cover that.
Some CC now have a virtual account number feature. You can go online and create a new number that has a spending limit of $X and expires in Y months. Takes about a minute. That can come in handy if you're dealing with any vendor that you're concerned about.