(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

Page 2 of 4

Sounds like a real estate business. No inventory and all service. Last house I sold I did it myself and saved the 6 % they charge.
I guess they raised the fee to 10 % as the PayPal has a credit card that gives 2 % back. Up to about a year ago I had two credit cards. My credit union that I quit using and one from Chase that gives a precentage back. Now I have 3 or 4 more. Differant ones give back a differant percentage depending on what I buy and also some gave $ 30 to $ 50 back just for taking out the cards and using them. I always pay off the cards and am old enought not to worry about my credit rating. Probably the only thing I will buy on credit and take a while to pay off will be a car or something else that is high dollar and has either zero or a very low interist.
On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 11:44:13 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:

At least with the real estate agent, they typically do have some actual personal involvement in getting the listing, helping figure out a selling price, taking pics, advertising, doing open houses, taking phone calls, answering questions, drawing up a sales agreement, etc.
On 3/31/2015 11:51 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Real estate can go either way. The better agents invest their time and their money in advertising. Some will get you a better price than you can do on your own. Buyers want that 6% discount from the FSBO too.
Some agents will also try to get you to sell at any price. 6% of a low-ball is better than 6% of nothing.
On 3/31/2015 12:00 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The real estate commission is not fixed by law at 6%. Most brokers are willing to take a lower commission except on very low priced properties. You just have to shop around and ask for it. This is especially the case on higher priced properties.
In my area, where a 50 year old 2000 square foot tract home sells for $2 million, very few people pay "full commission." 6% would mean $120,000 commission (split four ways). This would be considered insane. 4% is more common. On luxury homes, which can cost three to ten times as much, the commission is even lower.
That said, you probably don't get as much for your house when you sell it yourself versus using an agent.
On 3/31/2015 10:00 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Aw, let them make some money. There are enough folks doing eBay professionally and using it as their store front. You wanna sell widgets worldwide? What's it gonna cost you?
Want to open a store in town and sell them? It'll damn sure cost you more than the 10% eBay is snagging.
Wanna accept credit cards? Wait until you go for a merchant account. Drive a hard bargain and maybe you'll get by with $25/mo merchant fee plus 2.5% per transaction if you have some volume. eBay? no merchant fee, 3%(?) per transaction? Great deal for the little guy and not bad for the big guy either.
Wanna play with a real puzzle? Who's making money on Craigslist.org and how? I mean beside the legit folks selling their goods and, of course, the cons.
On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 10:48:23 PM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

merchant accout costs have dropped dramatically. I have a low volume selling friend who is happy the fee is under 2.5 percent with zero monthly charges
On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 08:00:54 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

How does ebay make money off of paypal when I buy something on ebay?

I'm told they had to pay 100's of lawyers. Maybe they don't need all of them all the time????

On 4/1/2015 2:18 AM, micky wrote:

Ebay owns Paypal. Therefore when you buy my ebay advertised goods and pay me $100, Ebay skims 3% or whatever off the transaction, just the same as a "normal" card issuer does. It's a direct hit to the seller, indirect (in the form of higher cost, shipping (or wherever the seller chooses to recoup it)) cost to you.
I think we have to remember that whatever PayPal/Ebay is "making" off those credit card transactions, they - as sort of the escrow agent - are also paying a fee to the credit card issuer.
If I pay you with my American Express card via PayPal, Pay Pal is going to pay something (1½% or 2%) to American Express and then they, in turn, are going to withhold their fee of 3% (?) from what they pay you. Thus they are clearing only 1% to 1½% on the transaction.
They should not have to eat that any more than you should have to spend the time packaging my purchase and shipping it off to me without being compensated.
On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 8:10:15 AM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wr ote:

,

That's true if you pay with a credit card. I have paypal linked to a transaction from my checking account. Not sure that incurs Paypal anything, anymore than paying your water bill with a check does. And I'll bet with the volume of transactions PP is doing, they get a better/lower rate on credit card transactions than your local hardware store.
On 4/1/2015 7:31 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

I suspect that you're correct on all counts. Their volume drives their costs down and increases profits. That's what makes the business world go around. As for the bank transfers, the costs to them are minimal and that's why they set the bank transfer as the default. Just try and change that in your PayPal setup<g>
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Some cut.
Ebay and Paypal are going their separate ways. CNET article here: http://tinyurl.com/lpfhr5x

e bay and pay pal fees combined, the seller pays are about 20% of the purchase price.
e bay doesnt fee shipping charges, thats why some sellers hipping is so expensive
On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 9:34:44 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

Actually Ebay does include shipping charges in the final value price of the item when calculating their cut. I think years ago they might not have done that, but they sure do now. So, if you have something that's heavy, you get screwed again. I just shipped two CV front axles out, that was $48. Had nothing to do with Ebay, but it's an example of where if they were sold on Ebay, I'd be paying an additional $4.80 fee.

Ebay OWNS Paypal

Using PayPal to pay for eBay purchases generally seems to be very "buyer friendly": When a buyer logs a complaint about an item purchased via BIN or as part of an auction, the money he has paid gets frozen in the seller's PayPal account, i.e. the seller can't withdraw the money from there or send it on to other PayPal accounts, until the issue is resolved.
In general, it seems that eBay / PayPal will set a certain timeframe within which the buyer and seller are supposed to communicate with each other in order to resolve the issue. During that time, the seller can send the whole price or a part of the price that has been paid back to the buyer. If the buyer then closes the case, the (remaining) amount will be un-frozen in the sellers PayPal account.
If the two parties don't reach an agreement within the timeframe set by eBay / PayPal, I guess that eBay / PayPal would review the situration and decide what to do, which might mean "forcibly" taking the money that has been paid and transferring it back to the buyer. However, this has never happend to me (I'm mostly active as a seller), so I'm not sure about how exactly this works and what happens.
Be it as it may, I'd say that using PayPal to pay for your eBay purchases is generally a sane choice from the point of view of a buyer.
Greetings, Nils
On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:56:23 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

An old auctioneer friend of mine had a saying -"an item is worth exactly what the highest bdder on a particular day is willing to pay - not one penny more, or one penny less"
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 21:54:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I used to get a lot more warning emails from ebay than I do now. There was an intervening period when I got the emails but some were late.
On 3/30/2015 8:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

You bookmark it? You're doing it the hard way, dude. This is what the watch list is designed for. When you're interested in an item on ebay, add it to your watch list so you can monitor it. You can add other listings for the same item by other sellers to the list, which makes it simple to compare prices/shipping. It's also a good way to monitor price changes by certain sellers.
Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Yeah , like the seller who jumped the price of the camera I was watching by a hundred bucks the day before I got the money in hand to buy it .
--
Snag

He explained this. Because he's on dial-up, it takes a lot less time to navigate through his own bookmarks than finding the watch list and then the item he wants.