(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

Page 1 of 4
Why is it, that an Ebay item which is a "BUY IT NOW" will say something like "10 people watching". I can understand this on a "bid" item, but why are they watching the item if they could have already bought it? Is this just some sort of gimmic that ebay uses to make the item look more important than it is? Or maybe the seller does it?????? It seems very stupid either way!!!!
Just curious, if any of you know..... I cound not find anything in the Ebay rules and information about this.
On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 5:37:17 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I would suggest, I don't actually know...this has to do with how many views by eBay members. I bought dozens of items from eBay and have almost always did "Buy it now"...I guess I don't see why this should bother you?
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 16:22:59 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa

It dont bother me, it just seems stupid. If I am interested in an item, I just bookmark it, while I look for a better priced one. I ONLY buy "Buy it Now" items. I dont think I have ever won a "bid" item. My internet is too slow to bid at the last moment.
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Hi, I use eBay quite often, have over 700 feedbacks from mostly buying. Mostly I get hard to find stuffs when they show up there. BIN being watched is while holding onto it, we can peruse more for better deals or choices. Just put it on watched list and if I don't need it, just delete from the list. No need to bookmark it on Browser. You must have many different curious things?, LOL!
i've called my congressman, and he said he would start an investigation
marc

A Dem congress critter would have called for increased funding for study.
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:58:24 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

You sure don't have to bid at the last moment to win a bid. You decide how much you are willing to go, at max, and place a bid. Ebay auto-bids for you. Willing to pay 19.99 and current bid is 3.13? Your bid will go in ar $4. Someone else is willing to pay $7, you will end up at $8. Someone else bids 17, your bid goes to 18, and if nobody bids more than $18, you got it for $18. Somebody bids $19.50 at the last minute, your bid hits $19.99 and it's yours. Somebody bids $20 and he gets it.
As for the "watching" common practice is to "watch" what you are interested in while you look for a better deal. Then you go to your "watch list" and pick the one you want to buy.
Ebay lets you know if a "buy it now" or auction item is going to be removed shortly. "bookmarking" does not give you any of those advantages.
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 21:54:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thats what I do, but those robot bids always seem to bid in the last seconds. The last time I bid on something, a bid was placed with 3 seconds before closing. That outbid me.

I suppose so, but I'm on dialup and the bookmarks are quicker than wading thru ebay. I delete old ebay bookmarks later. I probably only buy about 15 to 20 things a year. Mostly just stuff I cant get in a store, like parts for old cars or my 1950's tractor. And maybe some computer part because we have no computer stores around here. When you live in the country, there is no high speed internet and are no computer stores nearby.
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 21:47:23 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

So, would you have bid higher???? If so, bid higher!!!!

On 3/30/2015 8:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Does the bid increment matter? I seem to recall a similar situation where I didn't get the item because I hadn't bid at least $20.50, (in your example) the minimum bid increment. Lower actual bid got it. There also seems to be some odd relationship between when the first bid from that buyer was entered in relation to mine.

The bid increment does seem to be somewhat arbitrary.

snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I live in a clearing in the woods 12 miles from a town of less than 3,000 in a pretty isolated area of north central Arkansas . We have at least 2 computer sales/repair shops and I have a 6Mb/s internet connection . I buy a lot of stuff on ebay <including this keyboard> simply because it's usually cheaper delivered to my door than I can buy it in town . Today I received a pair of carbide scribers that I would have paid double at the local industrial supply . Recently saved several hundred bucks on a DSLR camera ... I buy only BIN and free shipping .
--
Snag

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 10:22:33 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

Maybe you can add to your life story at a later date?
bob_villa wrote:

Maybe you can just scroll past my posts if you don't like what I have to say . The point was that we have both things Jerry complained about NOT having , and in a small isolated community .
--
Snag

I told him the same thing. He's a complainer.

I got that from the first post.
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 21:47:23 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

That happens to me too, but really, one should not be tempted into bidding more just because someone has outbid you. You should know when you start how much it is worth to you, bid that, hope you get it for less, but not bid more just because someone else is bidding more.
People, including to a small extent me, don't follow this advice because they get caught up in the spirit of an auction. When I was in college I would go to the police bicycle auctions in Chicago, and I saw people bidding more than the bike cost retail. Either they didn't know, or they got carried away.
(I bought about 4 bikes over the years and sold 3 of them for a profit.)

That's you, but other people use the Watch list for the same purpose. and that was your quesiton.

Fot the bidding auctions I usually wait for the last day or two to see what the bidding is. If more than I think what it is worth to me, I don't bid. If still under, then I put in a bid for the maximum I am willing to pay. Sometimes a winner,sometimes not. Usually within a month or less the same type item will show up again and I will have another chance at it. I did get a couple of things that I did not really want by putting in a low bid and no one else out bid me. Sold some of them at a local flea market for more than I paid. It is interisting to go back and look at the bidding history. I have seen the automatic bidders sent the price way up in the last minuit or so.
I learned a lot about the auctiions when I was in junior high school A company ws going out of business near where I live. A friends dad was the manager of the company. So I went to watch. On a set of kitchen knives the price got bidded up and the auction people whispered to each other that the set only cost about $ 15 and the bid was about $ 20. The man in charge said if they were dumb enough to bid that much, that is what it would cost them.
On 3/31/2015 9:56 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

The purpose of an auction is to sell items at the highest possible price, yet a lot of people think it is to get bargains. If you get a very competitive person bidding, they will go high just to win even though the value went by the wayside 5 bids ago. Some people get caught up in the frenzy.
I do occasionally buy some BIN stuff if it is something I need at a good price. I had an air compressor down due to a bad solenoid valve. It is a $250 item through the dealer, but was $100 for one with a blemish on the label from an eBay dealer. Could I have bid and got it cheaper? Maybe, but I had a piece of equipment down and could not wait.

I agree the purpose of the auction is to get the highest price.
Ebay seems to be more of a place just to buy items for me. I can call up a certain item that I want now and have it to sort by price and then pick the least expensive one that the seller has good reviews. There are lots os small things on ebay that is difficult to find at other places. I wanted a water valve and the local Lowes did not have it, Used the BIN and had one in less than a week. At the cost of gas and where I live, the shipping for small items pay for the item. I have ordered some small electronic items from China for less than $ 5 including shipping. When gas was over $ 3 per gallon, I could not even drive to get the item evenif the local store had them.
I am not sure how the Pay Pal would work on a disputed charge as I have never had to use that part. I would assume it would be a good layer of protection from fraud.
On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 10:45:35 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Over the years it's shifted to a larger percentage of Ebay stuff being BIN. Which works for many things, like a part that you need now. Auction works good for used, second hand, things.
Another thing that's changed is Ebay's fees have gotte outrageous. The final value fee is now typically 10%. The when you pay for it via paypal, they get a nice cut of that too. Ebay is like the perfect business. It's pretty much a big server, no inventory, no carrying costs, no involvment in actually selling it. You make the ad, you handle the questions, it sells, they get a nice chunk of cash. I've seen sellers bitching and saying they are moving to other venues, eg Amazon, but Ebay is hard to ignore.