OT I'm a 2013 Apple Award Winner!

Whatever that is.
Got an email today from "Apple Inc's" that my gmail email account will get $750,000.00 and a gadget of some sort for an Apple iPhone 4S if I send them my name, address & phone number. Can't wait for the check. My email account says it will buy a new house and a Ferrari. Since it'll have a new house and says it will let me share it I'm posting here! No repairs for a few months.
You don't think they'll possibly call me for some reason, do you? Like asking for my bank account number and/or SSN - just to verify my identity of course, no need to be concerned, before they send the check?

On 11/15/2013 12:32 PM, KenK wrote:

in contact, I'm still waiting for the four million pounds sterling that King Nambu Nambu in Nigeria left for me. Because he trusts me only.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

What would an email account do with $750K and some Apple hardware?

One of us is not understanding the other.
On 11/15/2013 2:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It got to be old... but me and several friends would play along with these idiot scammers. A couple of years ago I had listed an expensive ZTR mower on the local Criagslist and, naturally, that made me a target.
Typical.. "I will send you your asking price plus the shipping fee. My shipping expediter will come by to... blah, blah, blah."
As I wanted to see what he'd send me, I responded that it was actually my mother's mower and she didn't drive and that he needed to send the money to HER PO Box where I could pick it up. The dumbass actually sent his cashier's or certified check - I forget which - to the PO Box via Federal Express (I verified that the tracking numbers (and bounces) were valid via my own FEDEX business account) FOUR TIMES! I figure that even if he had discount of some sort, I'd gotten into him for about $60 in FEDEX charges. Kept telling him to just MAIL the damn thing, I wasn't driving to the FEDEX zone office to pick up and that FEDEX wouldn't deliver to the PO Box. His response was always to send another FEDEX. After the fourth aborted shipment of the check he finally gave up. I waited two weeks and then sent him and e-mail telling him I was selling the mower to somebody else; somebody that wasn't an A**hole<g>
All it takes to play the game is the same thing they use... an anonymous e-mail account and a PO Box. I'd like to think that in addition to the giggles I had, I also distracted him long enough to spare some mouthbreather that actually believed this come on the embarrassment of being taken.
I won an all expense paid vacation to somewhere...
I don't remember the details because I hung up.
--
nestork

Sometimes, when I get spam calls, I'll just gently set the phone down and walk away. Figure that's one outgoing phone line of theirs which isn't bothering someone else.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/15/2013 11:32 AM, KenK wrote:

If they call and want you bank account number, give it to them. It is definitely not a secret as you give it out every time you write a check so it would not be a big deal.
On 11/15/2013 2:51 PM, IGot2P wrote:

True that you give it out when you write someone a check. Not true that it's "no big deal." Less than critical thinking like that is what keeps these morons in business. I'm not going to provide a "How To" but if you play their game and give me the bank account number, you stand to lose what you have in that account. DON'T give it out.
On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 18:19:19 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

or some such.

When I write a check, it's going to established merchant, not a Nigerian scammer. Big difference.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/15/13 11:32 AM, KenK wrote:

Only $750,000 for all three? Your address should be worth that much by itself, shouldn't it?