OT "I laid off my son, today"

Page 1 of 8
Took my truck in for oil change, today. The mechanic said that business is so slow. The economy is really awful.
"I laid off my son, today" he says. Doesn't have enough work to pay him.
So, how are all you Democrats enjoying life, these days? Was this the change you were hoping for? Anyone out there going to vote for more of this change? I hope not.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

This democrat is retiring ...
Maybe now I can get some woodworking done.
--
Best regards
Han

Explain with great precision exactly what you would've done differently from Obama if you'd been the president to follow George W. Bush. Failure to explain your plan in your next message will be an admission that you are drunk.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Gosh! We'd be here all night. I'll tackle just one: tax cuts.
The Congress has known for TEN YEARS that the tax cuts are going to expire on January 1st. Neither they nor the president have done squat about it.
This uncertainty is driving the business community nuts. Businesses HATE the unknown. Without knowing what their tax burden will be next year, they can't plan. They can't invest. They can't hire.
Come January 1st, everybody's tax rates on wages will rise by 5%. Capital gains for the lowest tax brackets will go from 0% to 10%, everybody else will rise from 15% to 20%. The inheritance tax will go from zero to 55%. The number of people paying the Alternative Minimum Tax will jump from 4 million to 27 million (36% of all married couples will have to pay the AMT).
Some of these increases may not take place, but we still don't know which or when the fix will occur.
Assuming Congress returns the week after the elections and gets right to work, passing at least some kind of tax bill, without filibustering and other delaying tactics, we'll be at mid-November before a bill gets signed. The Treasury Department must then compute, print, and distribute literally millions of tax tables to individuals and businesses across the land.
Software companies must modify and test their payroll software, then deploy hundreds of thousands of copies.
During the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday season.
It's a cluster-fuck.
So, you ask, what could have been done differently? Had Obama tackled this issue fifteen months ago, businesses would probably have invested more, hired more, expanded more. And the economy would be better for it.
I don't believe that for a second. The Dems (such as Clinton and his "worked harder than he has for anything ever but can't giv you a tax cut) are the party of raised taxes.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Democrats, in general, believe that the size of the pie is fixed and want it re-sliced into more equal pieces. Republicans, all, believe that tax cuts can eliminate poverty, soothe bee-bites, and cure cancer.
Both groups exaggerate a little.

What I think you said, Democrats have only one pie for the entire world. The pieces get smaller and smaller.
Republicans want to teach me how to bake a pie, share them and even give to charity.
Obama says I have to "ride in the back" of his car. Rosa Parks would be ashamed of him for that comment.
Oren wrote:

Give the president credit where credit is due.
In the treatement of his adversaries, riding in the back is better than being thrown under the wheels.
That's a plus - and demonstrates a mellowing.
Bob F wrote:

The Republicans have NOT blocked ANY tax bill.
There has not BEEN a tax bill. Not one with committee hearings, not one for mark-up, not one for floor debate, not one open for amendments. No tax bill on the Bush tax cuts, no tax bill on capital gains, no tax bill on the AMT, no tax bill on the inheritance tax. Zippo.
The authority for moving tax bills rests exclusively with the majority party. So far, the Democrats have done nothing in this regard.
There HAS been posturing on both sides - sort of preparing the battle-space. But as far as action, either in favor or in opposition, nothing.

bill. The GOP was setting up to fight the bills but never got the chance because the Dems couldn't agree on anything. Same here with many Blue Dogs (and those who are getting religion a little late) wanting ALL cuts extended while the leadership and Mr. O want something different. So far nothing has been actually advanced so the GOP hasn't had to block anything. The Dems are doing a good enough job of that on their own.

Bob F wrote:

The Republicans have blocked nothing. The tax bills causing all the concern have not come up in the 111th Congress. Several have been introduced, including some by Republicans, but not a single committee hearing has been held; not a single mark-up done. Not a fix for the expiring Bush tax cuts, not a fix for capital gains, not a fix for the AMT, not a fix for the inheritance tax. NOT A SINGLE ONE has come up for a mark-up, vote, amendment, or consideration.
It is the Democrats that are blocking tax proposals, not Republicans.
Both the Democrats and Republicans want to get the economy back on track. The Democrats want to do it with more trickle-down (from the government) economics, government ownership of banks and auto companies, taking over student loans, running health care, and more regulations. The Republicans want to improve the economy by getting rid of Obama.
Differing tactics, same goal.
I like the "less government" plan.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 10/27/2010 9:13 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Jeff

They truly believe they are pre-destined to govern, come hell or high water - and will do ANYTHING to make that come true - even if it means there is no country left to govern.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

> They truly believe they are pre-destined to govern, come hell or high

And yet the American Dems consistently asked how the American public could be so dumb as NOT put them in power after both Bush elections.
Actually, that behaviour describes Democrats.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hardly "ANYTHING". You would be pressed to point to Republicans being accused of a single instance of:
* Illegal voter registration (i.e. Acorn) * False absentee ballot requests or submissions (2 Dems arrested this week in Florida) * Voter intimidation at the polling place (New Black Panther folks in Philly) * Delay or outright denial of military absentee ballots (The entire state of Illinois)
Liberals tend to support the notion that "the end justifies the means." What's a relatively minor incident of ballot security when the greater good of electing the proper candidate is in the balance?
Conservatives tend to cling to the idea that "no good can come from an immoral act."

He's talking about imaginary conservatives. Here are some real ones from recent history, with info about their research into immoral acts:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/ancientangler/RepublicanHypocrites.jpg?t 88320974

While mildly scandalous and disturbing in a social conscious kind of way, it is breathtakingly off the topic at hand. Sorta interesting that in a discussion of ballot box stuffing, illegal voter registration, and intimidation, your best response is this???

HeyBub the infant said this: "Conservatives tend to cling to the idea that "no good can come from an immoral act.""
That was a foolish statement which deserved to be noodled with.