OT: I just upgraded to Win 10

Page 4 of 4
On 30/07/2016 12:47, Abdul Muhaymin wrote:

That is OLD news "Network World | Aug 4, 2015" - I suspect things may have changed since then.

If not now, they probably will be soon! ;-)

Is there some particular thing/things which is/are bothering you?
says...

Thanks , but there is nothing to move. The TV dongle just plugs into a USB port like the memory devices.

Something to do with the way interrupts are used (or not used) in the newer OSs
On 7/28/2016 10:49 AM, trader_4 wrote:

You say it is faster to shut down which surprises me. Mine took longer until I changed the privacy settings to not send down stuff to them from me. I'd check them and turn off what you don't like.
It also defaults their email and browser and you may want to change them back. Edge is OK but I still prefer Firefox.
The old free games like solitaire and minesweeper are not there but free at the Windows store. They bring in crap like ads then try to get you to pay a buck a month not to get ads.
Otherwise the OS is fine for me.
On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 10:51:07 AM UTC-6, Frank wrote:

I use Windows Media Player for all of my music playing. Microsoft did switch me to their crappy player but I got rid of that crap. I never use Edge as I do not like it...period. I use Firefox or Pale Moon. LibreOffice is my choice for word processing...who needs Word?
Over all Windows 10 is okay and not much different than Windows 7 which I had.
Nearly all of "Phone Home" stuff from Microsoft has been turned off. Probably still some but I killed most of it.
Just my 2 cents worth of opinion. ===
On 7/28/2016 1:14 PM, Roy wrote:

When my old Win Vista computer went south I got new with Win 8 and put up with the crap they are starting and now intensifying. I was not going to get MS Office as Open Office and LibreOffice are just as good but I do some online consulting and ran into a problem where someone using MS Word could not see embedded images in docs I had prepared for them. Spent a lot of time trying but could not get it to work so bought MS Office. It did not install right and I had to call MS and let them take control of my computer to get it on. Just plain annoying but now all is fine.

Speaking of two cents... https://www.linuxmint.com/ I use it on a couple of computers and it's plenty good enough for most of the things I do. I doubt I ever buy another MSFT operating system. I've got computers with xp, vista, win7 and I had win10 on one till it was time to buy it, then back to linux on that one. My main bottle neck or problem with the computer world now is staying under the monthly cap of 250GB allowed by my ISP. More and more streaming all the time. I don't watch much TV now days.
Frank wrote:

I have a hunch they won't stop there. It's a wee stepping stone.

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 9:51:07 AM UTC-7, Frank wrote:

I had them turned off when I did the install, by selecting the custom install option. You then get a list of what to enable and disable. Interesting that it apparently waits until you're shutting down to send stuff.

If you prefer Internet Explorer, use it...it comes with Win 10 too. IE 11.

Don't take the update then.

MS is very, very good at obfuscation.
One can log in automatically if one chooses to do so. I push the power button and nothing else.
On Monday, August 1, 2016 at 7:03:06 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

I have it, but IE is already inferior to Edge and Chrome, it's 3 years old and MSFT is done with any improvements. Like I said, I also used Chrome occasionally, checked it out more, and it seems as good as Edge, so I will primarily use that going forward as my main browser.

Win 10 home users have no control over taking or not taking any updates, they are automatic. That is one of the issues raised about Win 10. I've seen discussion online about hacking your way around that, to bar updates, but only by using tricks like making Win 10 think you're on metered internet service, so it temporarily won't do the updates. But that isn't a solution either, because then you get no updates at all, including important security ones.

On Win 10 with more than one account? I did find a fix for my issue though, courtesy of Ed. He pointed out that when it boots, if you just hit enter it brings up the logon pwd box in the center of the screen. And if you have more than one user, it looks like it defaults to whoever used it last. If you want to switch to a different user, it's a mouse click to the lower left corner where the users are listed. That's fine for me, as 99% of the time I can just hit enter, the proceed with PWD all from the keyboard, no mouse.
Oren posted for all of us...

Putin will take care of that <g>
--
Tekkie