OT: I just upgraded to Win 10

Page 1 of 4
Am I going to hell now?
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net says...

Not now,but wait a few weeks and see how much bad language you use.
I have been using win 10 on a computer for the last 6 to 8 months. I bought a comp;uter off ebay with win 7 on it just to upgrade to win 10. My other computers are win xp. Not new to computers as had a Radio Shack Model 3 and many widows from 3 up.
Using win 10 professional. Upgrade on 2 of my computers went well. Found it will not run some older programs including a game called Doom that I just use to check how fast a graphic card will run. Then the Office mail reader will not do the user groups. Had to load another program. As I am the only one on this computer I run in the administrator mode. Calculator and some other programs would not run. Found out it is for our 'protection' agains virus. Found out where to change the system so Ican run the calculator program. MS did remove the games from win 10.
I have a dongle that I can run TV programs with. The vidio works , but no sound. Seems they did someting to the way sound works from one program to the next.
Could go on about the above. It does boot up faster than XP and runs the 'normal' programs fine. It will put much of your information on the internet. Win 10 is a big bunch of spy ware unless you know how to disable lots of it and even then I am not sure how much information goes back to MS. That is one reason they arfe upgrading you for free.
On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 11:10:49 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I'm not running any legacy software, don't care about games, don't have it connected to a TV. I mostly use my PC for web access and occasional word or excel. So, hopefully my experience will be different. But I did find one troubling deficiency. Edge, the new browser, takes a big step back in handling bookmarks. Explorer handled them like regular files, you could see them in a nice tree structure when trying to add bookmarks. And you could use file manager to copy them, back them up, etc. Edge is a mess. When you go to add a bookmark, instead of being presented with a tree structure so you can put it in the folder or sub-folder of your choice, Edge flattens the whole thing out into one long linear list of all folders and their contents. If you have more than a handful of bookmarks, it's a mess. Also, the BMs are no longer stored in an easy directory location as a file you can copy, manipulate, etc. They are now in some system type file that you can't work with, except through the limited capabilities in Edge itself. On the plus side, Edge works better, faster than Explorer.
But overall, it's working great. My PC went from taking 31 secs to boot to 20 secs. Shutting it down speeded up nicely too, it shuts down in maybe 5 secs now. Everything is faster, even backing up the disk appears to have gotten faster. When I did the setup, I selected the choices to minimize what gets sent to MSFT. I probably won't use Cortana either. And if I dislike it, I can always go back to Win 7, I have a backup made.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net says...

For what you are doing you will probably like win 10. For what I do with one of the computers it works very well. It is similar to what you are doing. It boots up and shuts down very fast compaired to the other windows programs. This is on a computer running about 3 GB.
I don't use Edge, but use Chrome. Mainly because it ports lots of info to my smart phone.
I have another computer running lots of older programs and tied to my ham radio operations. Win 10 pukes very bad in that operation and I stick with win xp for that.
The main reason for me to go to win 10 is that the tax programs will not run on win xp anymore, or so they say.
I don't really care about an operating system and all the junk that comes with it. I want to be able to run other programs. The only thing I can think of is the calculator program that come in windows that I use out of the whole bunch of junk that comes with the operating system.
On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 10:27:53 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

No, but like Ralph said it will make you say some very dirty words. I learned to be patient those first 6 weeks or so and just let W-10 do it's thing. Now I'm used to it and have no complaints. But those first weeks I wanted to put my fist through the screen.

I HATE the Edge browser!! It was/is not compatible with many of the financial sites I visit. I was able to effortlessly switch between Edge and IE and finally Norton asked me if I'd like them to disable Edge? YES! YES! YES! Since then it's been smooth sailing.

I have Cortana disabled as well. There were a few other things that did not impress me with W-10 that I don't use or have a need for.
On 07/28/2016 12:14 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

I understand that will be trickier after the mandatory anniversary update.
On 7/28/2016 11:27 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I upgraded 4 computers at home and seven at work. Overall, it went easy and all our programs run. I had ro re=enter the license code on the Starre Bill of Lading program, but no data was lost.
IMO, Edge sucks. I was able to keep IE and Chrome. My preference is Chrome.
I see no reason to go back to W7

On one "Dell from Hell" laptop we lost bluetooth capability - otherwise no issues.
says...

Using Edge is not required.

What do you consider "to boot" to be" To showing you the desktop? If so, Window is still busily loading stuff in the background; and it goes on and on and on...

Wait a while, it will slow down.
\
On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 12:28:08 PM UTC-7, dadiOH wrote:

I consider the boot time to be from pushing the power switch, entering the pwd, to having no spinning wheel showing. At that point I can click on anything and it loads, without delay.

Proably will over time. If a year or two from now it's slowed down, I'll restore it back to fresh from the saved image.
On 07/28/2016 04:20 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Good luck with that. The forced update scheme may decide you really need to be updated to current.
On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 11:48:44 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

I have the forced update thing figured out. I know which Win 7 update tries to trick you into taking it whether you want it or not and avoided installing that update. Interestingly I'm installing it right now on a friends PC and his was set to take all updates, yet the only "forcing" he got was the notification countdown thing in the lower right corner that I guess comes up every time you boot. After today, there shouldn't be any more forcing, because the free update is over.

I don't think he was talking about updating an existing OS to Win 10 but about the inevitably endless updates to Win 10 itself...there is no option in the interface to NOT get them, just "how". However, that may be thwartable by disabling Win Update in the "services" applet.
On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 1:11:07 PM UTC-6, dadiOH wrote:

ed

ing

es

ng,

Why on earth wouldn't anyone want the "never ending" updates? They fix prob lems and vulnerabilities in the OS and are very important.I know my brother bought an Apple computer so he wouldn't have to WAIT all the time for upda tes to be downloaded. Some people are so damned impatient. My dumb neighbor who still runs XP wouldn't accept any updates for years and his computer w as and is a friggin' mess all of the time. ====

The way I see it if you are to use MS Security Software you must except update . But if you are going to use some others security operating system then you don't need up date. ====

Why on earth wouldn't anyone want the "never ending" updates? They fix problems and vulnerabilities in the OS and are very important.
Well, let's see...Microsoft has been writing system software for PCs for more than a third of a century so why is the latest and greatest already in need of updates right out of the box? Have they not learned how to write secure software over the last 30+ years? They haven't been able to fix problems during the last 30+ years? Apparently not so why do you think the updates would be any better?
Hell, even Gate's first commercial success - a Basic interpreter back in the 70s - had bugs.
Then too, there is the matter of choice. Some of us think that it is not the province of Microsoft to determine what and when we do something with our computers.
"Roy" wrote in message

Why on earth wouldn't anyone want the "never ending" updates? They fix problems and vulnerabilities in the OS and are very important.I know my brother bought an Apple computer so he wouldn't have to WAIT all the time for updates to be downloaded. Some people are so damned impatient. My dumb neighbor who still runs XP wouldn't accept any updates for years and his computer was and is a friggin' mess all of the time. ==== What type OS you are going to use depend what you want? I have (1) on Win-XP, second on Win-7 and third on Win-10! You may ask why? because some program I use are not comparable, and even some that are comparable software are not doing same job as old ones. My finning #Win-XP works better then two new ones! #Win-7 have good Email lousy linkages in browser. #Win-10 is good for kids to play games on it. But you guys have you own opinion...
On 7/29/2016 11:36 PM, Tony944 wrote:

If a human writes the operating system another devious human will find a way to exploit it and find a vulnerability.
On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 11:36:31 PM UTC-4, Tony944 wrote:

That would be an issue with the browser, not Win 7. So, what browser can you be running on XP that won't run on Win 7? I've used Explorer on both XP and Win 7 without any problems. And by now you can't be using that on XP, it stopped being supported many years ago. I guess Explorer 11 is the last browser for Win 7 now. Email would also seem to depend on what actual app you're using.

So far it's better at doing everything I've tried than XP or Win 7 ever was. I boot up in 20 secs now, 40% faster, for example.
"trader_4" wrote in message

That would be an issue with the browser, not Win 7. So, what browser can you be running on XP that won't run on Win 7? I've used Explorer on both XP and Win 7 without any problems. And by now you can't be using that on XP, it stopped being supported many years ago. I guess Explorer 11 is the last browser for Win 7 now. Email would also seem to depend on what actual app you're using.

So far it's better at doing everything I've tried than XP or Win 7 ever was. I boot up in 20 secs now, 40% faster, for example.
Booting up is not problem even if takes a minute! ACDsee8, not comparable with Win-7 and 10 Adobe PhotoDelux BE, Same not comparable. and the new programs do not do same thing that older one use to do, and the cost exceed the cost for new software of computers. that you need to go back in school to learn how to use! and New MS Publisher stinks compare to older version! MS Works data base does not exist on newer OS then XP.