OT...I guess - Dryer Timer

If the timer on an old electric dryer is not advancing I suume it's time to replace it, aka not really servicable?

Damn things are a hundred bucks typically. This one's discontinued even.

Reply to
Red Green

It depends. On my Maytag, the timer only runs while the gas is on. So a failure in that circuit can look like a dead timer.

Reply to
CJT

Oops! Now I see you say it's an electric dryer. :-)

It still might only run when the dryer's hot, though, so have a look at the schematic.

Reply to
CJT

CJT wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net:

Well, now I have another problem. I don't know where to hook up the gas to my electric dryer :-)

(I saw your "Oops" but couldn't resist)

Reply to
Red Green

CJT wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net:

I failed to mention it's working and drying clothes fine.

Reply to
Red Green

If you put the dryer on the "timed" cycle, and if the timer still does not advance, then yes, something with the timer. If you are mechanically inclined, you can remove the timer assembly and remove the actual timer, apply 110V and see if it works. If it doesn't, the timer motor is shot. If you get lucky sometimes you can buy just the timer motor and not the whole timer assembly. But if you find that the timer does work in the "timed" cycle, that means that the circuitry in the other cycles are faulty, possible bad t-stat, because the T-stat actually tells when the timer to start advancing.

Reply to
Mikepier

While you're waiting for a free dryer to show up on Craigslist, you can get a $10 appliance timer from Walmart or Radio Shack and jury-rig something.

I think I'd use a $2 oven timer. When it went "ding," I'd go take the clothes out.

Reply to
HeyBub

Mikepier wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f8g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

The dryer is actually at my youngin's place. I was over and see that the timer is mechanically ticking as it always did but it does not advance in any setting - timed, auto, etc. I assume something is physically broken inside it. Like I said, it dries fine so I'm not eager to take it apart doing exploratory surgery. If I trash it totally, a new one is not even an option since it's obsolete.

Reply to
Red Green

Hi, They used to rebuilt timers. I wonder they wtill do. You turn in the bad one for exchange. Caqn you turn the knob with hand easily like normal? The gear train may have been stripped. Worth taking a look.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Try these folks:

TDD