OT: I bet the Americans on here don't know who wrote the music to your national anthem?

Page 3 of 3
On Thu, 02 Jun 2016 17:43:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

It is a fact that soldiers do tend to spread around the DNA. If the crusaders were not in the middle east and the brits were not in north Africa, those people would look like the folks in the Congo. Yes Jesus was a colored fellow. (certainly not the blue eyed blonde guy you see in the paintings since the 16th century)
On 02/06/2016 18:43, Scott Lurndal wrote:

--
Bod

| We DON'T put down America. |
It's best not to read his posts at all, much less respond to him. There are several people here who take pleasure in nastiness. The only option is to block them.
On the other hand, you posted completely off topic in a home repair group to say that Brtiain deserves credit for some things American. You shouldn't be surprised to get nasty responses.
That's an interesting difference between Brits and Americans: Brits consider passive aggressive insult to be an art form. The artful attack is the one that can't be countered because it's so indirect. Yours was a good example. Americans, on the other hand, don't fear being uncouth. We just say it straight. It can get mixed up because neither side particularly respects the others values in the matter. Brits are inclined to view us as ignorant and impolite, while we're likely to see them as smug, constipated and insincere. But that also works both ways: For Brits, Americans can be an unrestrained breath of fresh air, while for Americans, even such loatheworthy "paff" as Downton Abbey can seem somehow sophisticated and highbrow, for no reason other than the stylish elocution of Brit actors.
On 03/06/2016 14:06, Mayayana wrote:

I did not say, nor imply "that Brtiain deserves credit for some things American". I merely pointed out a fact that I thought you might not have known. I certainly didn't know.
If you were to tell me that you'd found an interesting fact, say, an American invented the Hovercraft instead of an Englishman and could prove it, I would *want* to know the truth. Don't be so touchy and defensive. There was no one upmanship meant at all.
--
Bod

| > On the other hand, you posted completely off | > topic in a home repair group to say that Brtiain | > deserves credit for some things American. You | > shouldn't be surprised to get nasty responses. | > | > That's an interesting difference between Brits | > and Americans: Brits consider passive aggressive | > insult to be an art form. The artful attack is the | > one that can't be countered because it's so | > indirect. Yours was a good example. Americans, | > on the other hand, don't fear being uncouth. We | > just say it straight. It can get mixed up because | > neither side particularly respects the others values | > in the matter. Brits are inclined to view us as | > ignorant and impolite, while we're likely to see | > them as smug, constipated and insincere. But that | > also works both ways: For Brits, Americans can be | > an unrestrained breath of fresh air, while for Americans, | > even such loatheworthy "paff" as Downton Abbey can | > seem somehow sophisticated and highbrow, for no | > reason other than the stylish elocution of Brit actors. | > | > | Let's get this straight! | I did not say, nor imply "that Brtiain deserves credit for some things | American". I merely pointed out a fact that I thought you might not have | known.
I doubt anyone here is fooled. You're still carrying on with pro-Brit follow-ups to your original post.
| Don't be so touchy and defensive. There was no one upmanship meant at all. |
Exactly what I was talking about. You insult or compete passive-aggressively and then get angry when someone calls you on it. Maybe you don't even know you're competing. Brits assume there are "polite" rules to the game and that no one is allowed to call you on it, so long as you make your dig politely.
I'm not particularly nationalistic. My background is mainly English and I once dated an English woman for 3 years. I admire the care that Brits take with their language. I admire many things British. But you're just being a cad while trying to deny it. That has nothing to do with US vs Britain and has nothing to do with anyone feeling insulted. You could at least have the consideration to pick a relevant group for your pointless anglophile marketing.
On 04/06/2016 13:48, Mayayana wrote:

--
Bod

Agreed.